What defines emo?

Black Core stop being an EMO.
Crybaby.

1. don't tell me to do anything, I only listen to ppl with something usefull to say
2. you still know nothing about emo
3. take an example of afz902k, he doesn't like it but he clearly has good arguements which he can explain in a decent manner.

altough I must disagree with his last line:
Screamo often handles the same lyrical themes as emo songs...

I copied these from Urban Dictionary, pick the one you think is best. (Some of these are very stupid though)

1)
Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle.

2)
An entire subculture of people (usually angsty teens) with a fake personality. The concept of Emo is actually a vicious cycle that never ends, to the utter failing of humanity, and it goes something like this:

1. Girls say they like "sensitive guys" (lie)
2. Guy finds out, so he listens to faggy emo music and dresses like a dork so chicks will see that he is sensitive and not afraid to express himself (lie). He dyes his hair black, wraps himself in a stupid looking scarf, develops an eating disorder, and rants about how "nobody understands".
3. Now an emo guy, he meets Emo chick and they start dating, talking about how their well-off suburban lifestyles are terrible and depressing (lie)
4. Emo guy is just too much of a pussy. His penis is too small, he's too depressed to bathe, and has more mood swings than emo chick, and he doesn't even have a menstrual cycle. Emo chick dumps him, saying "It's not you, it's me." (lie) as she drives off with Wayne, the school jock and captain of the football team.
5. Emo guy goes home and cries, proceeds to write a weak song and strum a single string on his acoustic guitar. Another emo chick sees how he is so in touch with his feelings, and the cycle continues.

3)

Punk music on estrogen. Often acoustic guitar with soft, high male vocals that dwell exessively on the singer's feelings, especially melancholy remembrances of past relationships/mistakes in life. A form of music that diverged from punk in the '80s, the name "emo" is derived from the emotive style of the lyrics and music. This genre has lately been marketed heavily by the music industry to teenagers with bands such as Dashboard Confessional and Taking Back Sunday, and has seen much commercial and mainstream success. The music has also spawned a subculture which conforms to certain conventions in dress such as tight sweatshirts, tight band T-shirts and horn-rim glasses. Adherents profess to exessively melancholy temperments. Males that adhere to the emo subculture are sometimes confused with metrosexuals; indeed the line between the two is somwhat blurred, though both groups claim to be intouch with their emotional side. The ephemeral and hackneyed nature of emo songwriting suggests that its audience will be restricted largely to teenagers. the genre suffers from a lack of credibility outside the aforementioned demographic group, much like current Nu Metal bands.

^noted

I read those explenations a while ago btw and I must say that the second one is how 90% of the ppl think about emos but if I have to choose between the 3, I'd say the third one comes the closest altough it's not fully correct either.

Um... the first emo bands defined emo. That's how genres work. Only founding emo bands I know of are Rites of Spring and maybe Fugazi. Don't really know much more about it. It's not my kind of thing. The subject matter is waaaaay too petty for me and focused on teenage infatuation. Maybe that's your answer? :p

^totally true

and it's a real misconception that emo is just for teenagers. That's again part of the stereotypes that everyone thinks of

Emo is short for Emo-core. People who say its short for Emotional are ignorant.

Emo is used to much. Every fucking thing people do is Emo, I bet tons of people have been told the way they drink coffee is Emo.

Depressingly emotional lyrics. Emo sucks.

You sound like one of those people who cares too much about lyrics.

This is pretty funny and it also explains Emo pretty well, I guess Emo is short for Emotional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, here's my opinion on emo.

NOTE: I didnt write this. Its a blog that the moderator of an anti-emo page on Bebo wrote.

WHY WE HATE EMOS SO MUCH:

CATAGORY ONE: FASHION
They look utterly ridiculous, their entire fashion statement is out of control. We'll start from the bottom and make our way to the top. First up, pants. Emos wear extremely tight jeans, which is not only extremely uncomfortable..but is also hideous to look at. The last thing I would want to see after a rough day is the shape of some kids genetalia and ass through the jeans. It also pains me to think of how uncomfortable they are to wear. Next up is the shirt, often in pink. I look at these boys and are embarrassed to be a man. Wearing a pink shirt often indicates that you're a homosexual..but as for the emo trend, it's only worn because it looks 'cool'. Next we move on to their face -the boys wear lipstick and they put on eyeliner which is intended for women to wear because that is who it was invented for. These boys over do it so badly that they actually make us real men confused on what gender they are..which if one was turned on by what he thought was a girl, the news of them being an emo male might cause them to question his own sexuality which will make him feel ashamed. Lastly is the hair. Emos often have normal kids hair cuts, only the fringe is grown to an extrodinary length which covers their entire face. Not only does this hint towards their stupidity because they cant see with hair covering their face, they are also wrongly labelled as being 'cute' or 'hot' by insecure, confused girls. Tell me, how can a guy be hot if you can't even see him because there is a hairy barrier blocking his face? Next catagory:

CATAGORY 2: MUSIC
Now I can stand all types of music and I'm friends with people who listen to all sorts of different music. But none screams out more bullshit than emo music. This 'emo' music consists of bands such as My chemical romance, fall out boy and panic! at the disco. These bands care more about their image than their sound which is highly evident from the amount of emo kids copying their look. The music itself is terrible, the music is poorly composed and rely on the singer to create a song. Usually in most songs the same note is played at least five times in a row before we see some sort of pitch change. Not too mention that, but the same guitar strumming is in every song. Usually the songs are of a happy nature, but is ruined by the fact that no matter how happy the songs sound, they are always accompanied with lyrics about depression. You emos always make sure that your music taste is known by EVERYBODY also, you cant keep it quiet and to yourselves can you? Everybody else does, but emos think their music taste is superiour, which brings me to the final catagory:

CATAGORY 3: ATTITUDES
The attitudes of emos and their views on life is probably the worst thing about emos. A true emo is always depressed...and you have to be depressed to be an emo. There is no such thing as an emo who isn't depressed, this is known as a scene kid and only considers her/himself to be emo because it's the new trend and fashion. As I said before, emos are always crying out for attention to fill in some purpose in their boring lives. So by suicide attempts and being depressed over the smallest things, they forget how to appreciate how fortunate they really are. A common cause of depression in emos is break up in relationships. They cry after being dumped. Here's were the difference between the average human and the emo race comes into play...It's ok to cry about relationship troubles, everybody does that. But only emos make sure everybody around them know that they cry about their long lost love and want sympathy. Even through bebo profile descriptions they moan about how hard it was.
In emos desperate cry for attention, they are blind to all the gils that think he's 'hot' and 'cute'. There's plenty more fish in the sea for you mate! Not so much for other people, who would kill to have that many girls think that way about them. Yet you cry like it was a total tragedy....there are some kids in this world who would do anything to get a slice of relationship pie you ungrateful fuck!
The other reason why emos are depressed all the time is because they claim their life is 'hard'. They dont know the fucking meaning of a hard life. Do they fight for their lives in war torn countries every day? No. Do they resort to prostitution in order to make enough money to feed their familys? No. Are they starving and dying from famine? No. They are selfish faggots. I'm sure starving kids in africa would do anything to own that new MCR cd, to go to school, to have a home to go to, to be able to wear clothes from hot topic. Emo's don't deserve the lives they have, they think it's too 'hard'. Tell you what, you emos go and experience a real hard life and then tell me what's so hard about your life now.
Lastly is bullying, emos are always sad and depressed because they are bullied. If any emos fall under this catagory, please, read all of the above.
Depressive emos aside, it's time to learn about another type of emo, the so-called 'individual emo.' These emos don't often like to be labelled as emos and claim they are just being individual themselves. What they fail to realize is there is in fact, no individuality or originality about them. Their music, fashion and personality all fit under the same catagorys as all the other emos, they're just too afraid to admit it.
Lastly is the emo wannabes...these kids want to be emo because it's the cool thing to do and to go along with the trend. Sure enough, after taking a liking into the trend, they have an entire personality makeover within a week and claim they're emo.

The attitude is what I really hate about emo.

This is mostly right except those bands aren't Emo and this describes Emo posers.

The Emo posers want to be Emo so they complain about their so called hard lives.