What do you think of progressive metal?

What do you think of progressive metal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Katala

Devourer of music
Apr 4, 2005
Espoo, Finland
Tell us your opinion. I think it's mostly boring, since the songs are too long and nothing ever happens in them. But that's just what I think.

Well it's not a question of what I consider as part of the genre, it's what you consider a part of it. Everything with the title "progressive" I have heard has been boring to me... I consider Opeth and DT as progressive metal, for instance. But then again,

I like it very much.
Fav. bands:
Fates Warning, Psychotic Waltz, Dream Theater/Liquid Tension Experiment, Death, Opeth, Atheist, Pain of Salvation, Freak Kitchen, Disillusion...

Progressive music is the kind that I enjoy most. Come to think of it even stuff like Aereogramme and Isis etc. could be considered progressive metal, though probably not if you are into genres classified by allmusic or amazon.

I'd say I don't like much of the progressive power metal type bands like Evergrey, and stuff similar to Symphony X.

i stopped reading as soon as you said "boring" and "long" in the same sentence as progressive.

progressive does NOT mean long. it means pushing the borders of genres through innovation lyrically, technically, or conceptually. note that the OR signifies any of those elements indicate progress, and not all 3 are necessary.

that said, i think progressive music is amazing, though i do not limit myself to listening only to progressive bands.

"progressive metal" is often an oxymoron.

only a few bands have truly fit that description, such as: Opeth, Arcturus, Cynic, Enslaved, and several others. Many people think long wanking keyboard solos or classical leads or whatever makes a band progressive. For instance: Symphony X is NOT progressive.

so i chose "other, what?"...since most progressive metal isnt even such, or just sucks...except for a few bands.

If you don't consider a band to be progressive metal, then they aren't. A prog metal band is OBVIOUSLY a prog metal band, if you come across one. That's why I chose that prog metal bands are gods. Daniel Gildenlow is especially godly. Also you guys need to learn that progressive rock doesn't equal progressive metal.

I was listening to Awake today in the car...man I forgot how good that album is. The debate on what is progressive though goes on and on...I think alot of progressive/technical death metal/black metal is great. Very few progressive metal bands like Dream theater, and the first Andromeda album(not that piece of shit remaster, their current vocalist SUCKS) are good to me. Regardless if dt is considered "progressive" they still compose really great long songs and have different emotions. Prog bands are supposed to show off their skill...so if Dream theater shows off too much skill to you, then whatever, alot of fusion bands and old 70s bands were almost nothing but that as well. For the most part...aside from the death/black metal bands...dt is probably one of the only prog metal bands I like. Can't stand all that "prog/power" and the majority of stuff from Inside out.