What do you think of progressive metal?

What do you think of progressive metal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So many Definitions.....I thought prog rock/metal would be a little obvious.

Spiral architect are some crazy progressive musicians (although it can make my head hurt at times). Their bass player has some amazing skill aswell, i think he uses shaun malones bass (Cynic). I got the information from www.bassistsofdeath.cjb.net, a great site for anyone into progressive/death/fusion bass playing.

we are differentiating between the misconception that "prog" is "progressive". it can be, but it is not an interchangeable definition. it used to be interchangeable, but since prog became a genre, and so many bands have adhered to that format, it has no more progressiveness than any other genre. instead of defining progressive by quantitative means such as song length (heh there are long rap songs too.) or whether there are blistering keyboard solos, one must look at it qualitatively.

simply put, progressive (as the thread title implies) means pushing the boundaries of, consistant with making progress. taking steps forward to expand the limits in some way, either lyrically, conceptually, or technically.

this is not the same thing as what we know as "prog", which is a genre modifier for rock and metal. "progressive" is not genre specific and applies to all music. since the thread title calls for progressive metal, it should be a discussion of those bands within metal that are pushing said boundaries

Now the word progressive turned pretty hilarious. :lol:

Longinus said:
King Crimson is prog. They are, in a way, the founders of Prog. King Crimson esque stuff is prog. Anything progressing (like King Crimson ) is progressive. Therefore KC is progressive prog but Pain of Salvation is progressive and Opeth is also progressive because these bands have no boundaries ...