What do you think of 'Sludge Metal' ?

I like it in doses.

Definitionally, I'd say downtuned guitars, slow-to-mid paced, very plodding music. Vocals often in more of a shouted style (as opposed to clean, growled, or rasped), has a slight punk influence and often American.

Last edited:
Old-school/tr00 sludge is pretty good. Sometimes a bit obnoxious or redundant, but definitely has its value. Better than any other kind of doom metal outside of trad and epic. Atmosludge is mostly crap.

Reactions: CiG
Sludge and bands that influenced sludge are some of my all time favorites.

It has to be filthy, gross sounding and like you've had a cavity growing in your molar for 2 years.

Superjoint Ritual is alright, otherwise, I'll don't really know that much about sludge metal...

Sludge and bands that influenced sludge are some of my all time favorites.

It has to be filthy, gross sounding and like you've had a cavity growing in your molar for 2 years.

You hit the nail on the head with describing my current condition. I can barely eat beef.

Sludge is great man. If you like crossover/hardcore punk and Doom Metal, its the best combination in music. Black Flag and Melvins started it, and then Louisiana took hold of it and strangled it with drug addiction and hate. Actually, CASSETTEISGOD here laid the foundation of my liking in sludge (while I was in a Sludge/Doom/Southern Metal band at the same time.)