Sludge metal. It's good;

Only their debut and Call of the Mastodon may be considered sludge. Leviathan had too much prog influences and then they went in totally different direction.

What about Isis? Panopticon is one of my fav albums in the subgenre.

Still waiting to hear how anything by Mastodon is sludge, because that track didn't sound anything like sludge to me. What specifically makes it sludge?

Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be the "third" wave? All that "post" (shudder) Isis type garbage?

Much like black metal's third wave it's hard to define, unless you solely define it by years. Again, much like black metal whatever "uniform" sound that was created by the second wave splintered off into tons of sub-genres. The "post" crap like you mentioned, the atmospheric stuff, the stoner stuff became really massive, you get my point.

Mastodon were never purely sludge. They had some sludge influence early on. Vocals, guitar tones. That 'dirty' heaviness.

I'm curious if more bands exist closer to the hardcore spectrum of sludge like Gaza. I see now theyre not even on MA, which is a bit comical but whatever. I Dont Care Where I Go When I Die and He Is Never Coming Back are fucking vicious.

I'm curious if more bands exist closer to the hardcore spectrum of sludge like Gaza. I see now theyre not even on MA, which is a bit comical but whatever. I Dont Care Where I Go When I Die and He Is Never Coming Back are fucking vicious.
You familiar with No Absolutes in Human Suffering? It's just as good if not better imo.

Yeah I have that one too. I havent listened to it nearly as much as the other two. I remember listening to a song from the Cult Leader full length but wasnt in a sludge mood. I hadnt been forever really. Very few people here to talk about the genre with too.

I've been mp3ifying my cds and came across a bunch of sludge albums and got feeling nostalgic and also got me wondering where the fuck most of them went. Christ on a spike I lost 100s of cds when I moved out of my parents house.

Yeah I have that one too. I havent listened to it nearly as much as the other two. I remember listening to a song from the Cult Leader full length but wasnt in a sludge mood. I hadnt been forever really. Very few people here to talk about the genre with too.

I've been mp3ifying my cds and came across a bunch of sludge albums and got feeling nostalgic and also got me wondering where the fuck most of them went. Christ on a spike I lost 100s of cds when I moved out of my parents house.
Cult Leader full length is much better than their first EP but still not as good as Gaza imo. Jon Parkin may or may not have been a rapist but he could roar a fucking house down.

Fucking feminist garbage broke that band up. If the police didn't get involved a rape didn't happen.

I haven't listened to Hawg Jaw since the days of the blogspots angrychairs and stonerobixxx. Fuck I miss those. Introduced me to such great stuff back in the day.

Reactions: CiG
What's a good starting point for Sludge? I have heard:

Crowbar
Acid Bath

I was not a big fan of Crowbar initially but I may revisit them as a result of these recs.

I feel like sludge probably isn't the genre for Ozz. The vocals can be challenging and a lot of the bands make traditional doom metal sound fast. But, I'll give it a shot.

Eyehategod - In the Name of Suffering
Buzzov•en - At a Loss
Dystopia - s/t
Gaza - I Don't Care Where I Go when I Die
Indian - The Unquiet Sky
16 - Curves that Kick
High on Fire - Surrounded by Theives

Easier listening associated with sludge:
Baroness - Red Album
Kylesa - Time Will Fuse It's Worth
The Ocean - Precambrian
Torche - Meanderthal

Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood
Neurosis - Souls at Zero
Isis - Panopticon
Isis - Oceanic
Eyehategod - Dopesick
Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway
Melvins - Lysol, Bullhead, Houdini

Reactions: suckerleaf
Sludge actually isn't good but I do like Grief, Eyehategod, and Acid Bath for what it's worth. Also Khanate if they count.

Sludge tends to be a little better when it's just slow, doomy crust punk, like the bands I mentioned above aside from Acid Bath -- who have more southern rock and a bit of industrial influence thrown in the mix. Even then, it's a sound that quickly grows stale for me and if it doesn't fall under that exact blanket of sound, it teeters more towards that heavy post-rock stuff like Isis and Pelican which doesn't interest me much either.

Also, Crowbar sounds like Pantera if each member gained 300 pounds and had to slow down their music to compensate.

Nothing I listen to in the genre teeters towards those crappy bands. But it is one of the most formulaic genres around I guess, I don't listen to it as much as I used to.

I usually just pop on Meth Drinker when I'm in the mood.