Sludge metal. It's good;

Resurrecting this motherfucker.

New Cough is fucking warped.

Also, I'm afraid to brag yet because I'm a little shaky on the condition but I just found a used copy of Grief - Torso for $8 shipped on Amazon. I've been waiting for years for Miserably Ever After and Man Will Become the Hunted to be rereleased in some way.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
Dunno much about newest sludge, recently I've only listened to Cult of Luna's newest and I'm tracking Lord Mantis progress. I can't even call latest Baroness as sludge.

Baroness' last album was kinda bad. I did get it on one of the rarest wax colors, I should probably flip it for profit. Still Red and Blue are great and GY was listenable.

I actually stopped liking Baroness after the Red album. And agreed with the new Cough statement. It rules.

I've recently found this on bandcamp. So good. It's an EP though so I cant justify just buying one song. I've yet to check out their other album as of yet though. It's really fuzzy sounding, but i like it a lot

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Was actually suprised I wasn't seeing Cough mentioned in the back log of this thread, so yes, the new Cough ia great, on par if not better than Ritual Abuse. A big step up from the disappointment the new Lord Mantis ep was for me.

I never even understood how anybody considered them sludge to begin with. Same with Kylesa and for some reason people called Mastodon sludge.

I haven't heard the new Cough, I'm not really sludging it up lately. Never liked Cough in the past, are they still basically an Electric Wizard clone band?

Mastodon's debut is obviously a sludge album. Leviathan also has sludge elements, but after that album they went towards progressive metal direction.

I like Kylesa, I've always found them a light sludgey band.

So did Melvins but I still think there is a general sound that the majority of sludge bands share in common.

I guess agree to disagree.

Yeah, this isn't sludge at all.

This is.

Not sludge because what? Mastodon's debut is sludge, even though you don't admit it. Of course, the production isn't that muddy as in the song you brought up, but muddiness is not the definition of sludge. Neurosis' Through Silver in Blood and Eyehategod's Dopesick and Take as Needed for Pain are the finest examples of sludge.

Nothing to do with the production, I just don't hear any sludge in that song you posted. What specifically makes them sludge? Sounds more like some kind of progressive metal with hardcore influences or something.

I also don't think Neurosis is a fine example of sludge.

Maybe because Neurosis are more atmospheric and their songs are often lenghty. Is Melvins' Houdini sludge then? Because the preceding album, Lysol, certainly is.

Melvins is a really hard band to pin down. They fuck around too much for me to have ever really gotten into them. A lot of doomy sludge has really long songs btw.

Maybe the difference is kinda like traditional death metal and melodic death metal. Related but not really all that similar.

I liken bands such as Melvins, Kilslug or Flipper as proto-sludge or first wave sludge because much like first wave black metal, it doesn't necessarily sound much like the second wave but it has certain attitudes that helped to define the style.

Speaking of sludge, just found out a new Meth Drinker split is out with Dead Instrument.

I haven't heard the new Cough, I'm not really sludging it up lately. Never liked Cough in the past, are they still basically an Electric Wizard clone band?

I wouldnt go so far as to say theyre a clone band, but there is certainly a close parallel there. I'd say they've improved over time, but if you didn't like Ritual Abuse you'd likely not enjoy Still They Pray.

I liken bands such as Melvins, Kilslug or Flipper as proto-sludge or first wave sludge because much like first wave black metal, it doesn't necessarily sound much like the second wave but it has certain attitudes that helped to define the style.
Bands like Swans, No Trend, Killdozer and Harvey Milk also played a big part. Some industrial too. I remember an interview with Mike Williams and Jimmy Bower from Eyehategod where both said a major musical revelation was hearing the Melvins and Godflesh on the same mixtape. Of course, the massive influence of Black Flag's My War can't be overstated. Buzz Osborne has even said the second side of My War is what really got the Melvins interested in slower tempos. Never really though of sludge in terms of "waves" like black metal but that's actually an interesting way of looking at it. Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be the "third" wave? All that "post" (shudder) Isis type garbage?

Is Melvins' Houdini sludge then? Because the preceding album, Lysol, certainly is.
Absolutly. At least the majority of it is. Personally, I've always felt that sludge, at least in its more basic form, began with the Melvins. Even though they've always had an experimental side to them and have played around with various sounds/styles on virtually every album its not hard to see how what they were doing on those early records shaped the bands that came alone in the late 80's/early 90's.

The punk influence is also pretty interesting when it comes to sludge. Take the fast bits in Eyehategod which resemble the classic American hardcore style as opposed to Crowbar, who's speedier parts are more reminiscent of the later 80's New York crossover style. Speaking of those two bands, its funny how both are thought of as the founders of what we now call sludge yet save for the "tune low, play slow" philosophy they really don't sound alike. That's what was so great about all the bands that formed during the "second wave" as you put it. They all shared similar influences but none were identical sounding. Eyehategod didn't sound exactly like Crowbar who didn't sound like Buzzoven who in turn didn't sound like Grief who were different from Cavity and Noothgrush and on and on...

And just to chime in on the Mastodon genre conundrum a bit, I'd say they're more of an "associate" type of band. The sludge influence is defiantly there, especially on their real early stuff but I think the term "dirty prog", which is actually what Brann Dailor dubbed it, fits it quite nicely. It defiantly pops up time and time again, particular on Blood Mountain and the title track to Crack the Skye immediately springs to mind but I never considered them to be a full-on sludge band.