Sludge metal. It's good;

Since we're discussing favorites...

Buzzov*en - ...At a Loss (I want a copy of this)
CoC - Blind
Pretty much any Crowbar is awesome...
EyeHateGod - In the Name of Suffering
Grief - Come to Grief (hoping they re-release some of their stuff some time soon)
All Mastodon
Rwake - Hell is a Door to the Sun/Voice of Omens
Gaza - He is Never Coming Back
The Abominable Iron Sloth - S/T
Acid Bath

I like the whole post metal/sludge bands too... but they get talked about so much I doubt I have to. Anyone into that kind of stuff, again, should check out Battle of Mice for a really creepy experience.

Since we're discussing favorites...

Buzzov*en - ...At a Loss (I want a copy of this)
CoC - Blind
Pretty much any Crowbar is awesome...
EyeHateGod - In the Name of Suffering
Grief - Come to Grief (hoping they re-release some of their stuff some time soon)
All Mastodon
Rwake - Hell is a Door to the Sun/Voice of Omens
Gaza - He is Never Coming Back
The Abominable Iron Sloth - S/T
Acid Bath

I like the whole post metal/sludge bands too... but they get talked about so much I doubt I have to. Anyone into that kind of stuff, again, should check out Battle of Mice for a really creepy experience.

theres still tons of atmospheric sludge bands that don't get mentioned that often though.

also that reminds me. The Abominable Iron Sloth have a new album out. Haven't listened to it, supposed be good though.

It's pretty good. Got it + the shirt. :)

Edit: Does anyone know where I can listen to (or download) dot(.)'s self titled ep?

been listening to a lot of sludge lately, as well. Eyehategod and Iron Monkey are certainly tops. Crowbar and Cavity didn't do too much for me. Bongzilla is great. Try 5ive for some solid instrumental sludge, while not being all post-rocky like Pelican.

Here are my two recs:

Scald - http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=20820
Excellent stuff from Ireland. Very original.

Cable - http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=103929
I am so impressed with this band. Gutter Queen, Northern Failures, Pigs Never Fly, Skyhorse Jams, and Failed Convict are all excellent releases.

Now, does anyone know where I can BUY Dot(.)'s self titled ep?

Willing to pay full price... the internet copy is a fairly shitty (or old) rip, but it's still really good...

Try 5ive for some solid instrumental sludge, while not being all post-rocky like Pelican.

hell yeah. 5ive's self-titled is amazing. I also have The Telestic Disfracture but it was a bit different, not my style. now I'm thinking of getting Hesperus and The Hemophiliac Dream but I don't know which to get first, any idea which is better??

also if you don't like the post-rock influence so much then try Pelican's self-titled instead. its definitely solid as far as instrumental sludge goes and by far my favourite of their albums. its a lot darker and heavier than anything else they've done.

I do not like telestic disfracture. Too much noise. Hesperus is back to solid riffs. Great stuff. Hemophiliac dream is good for the first song. Second song is a shitty noise remix

The new Black Tusk came out today. Sounds really good from what I heard off of their myspace. Fans of Kylesa should definitely check it out.

what the hell is sludge metal? Sounds interesting. Is it sort of thrashy doom? or am i totally misreading this genre?

damn, so many subgenre's i need to get onto. haha

Instead of us explaining it, open two windows, one here, one youtube, and type in some of the bands we're talking about.

Crowbar jammed some new material last Saturday:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfRjY-nwzHU&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98XrsOgC2qE&feature=related[/ame]

I hope we finally get the new album this year. Apparently a live album is set to be released sometime in the near future, along with a box-set.

Now, does anyone know where I can BUY Dot(.)'s self titled ep?

Willing to pay full price... the internet copy is a fairly shitty (or old) rip, but it's still really good...

I bought it like 4 years ago at a local store. You can order it from Blind Date Records, but they're based in Germany :erk:

Must bring thread back to life.

Some sludge staples have been reissued lately, Buzzov*en - At a Loss (and Sore) and Grief - Come to Grief. Go buy them.

Oh and who's heard the new Crowbar? Is it worth checking out?