Sludge metal. It's good;

Can I ask how you differentiate Sludge from Stoner and Southern Metal. It's probably because I don't know what exactly defines the genre but when I first listened to High on Fire, I thought they were Sludge, but I see most sources label them as Stoner Metal. Same thing with Alabama Thunderpussy, but they're usually labeled Southern Metal. And when I listened to Jucifer, I assumed that they were Stoner, but they're Sludge. I'd appreciate it if someone could explain what separates the genres as I know there can be a lot of variation in each.

Also, although I don't own any of their albums, these are bands that I have heard and liked:

The Abominable Iron Sloth
Dark Castle
Jucifer
Black Tusk
Battle of Mice
I'm pretty sure there are more but can't think of them right now. What are some similar bands and what should I get from the bands I've already mentioned?

"Southern" Metal is stoner metal as far as I know.

Sludge is just more downtuned... has harsh vocals. Stoner metal has a lighter laid back rock atmosphere. Sludge is usually dark and more suffocating in nature.

High on Fire is a hybrid of the two... and Jucifer is just crap.

Other stuff:

Crowbar (early albums are best, imo)
Acid Bath - both full lengths
Buzzov*en
Gaza - He Is Never Coming Back (a bit metalcore influenced, but youtube this and you'll understand)
Eyehategod
Iron Monkey - hybrid of stoner/sludge
Grief
Mastodon - Remission
Cable - Variable Speed Drive

Thoughts on the new EyeHateGod?
Album of the year candidate for me personally, although keep in mind that they're like one of my top 3 favorite bands so fanboyism plays a hand in that. Even still, its a quintessential EHG album. Every aspect of their sound, hardcore punk, blues, "ass drag sludge" as Bower puts it, all present. Doesn't exactly break any new ground but its EHG doing what they do best, although there are instances where influences from the guys various side projects, namely Outlaw Order creep in, but in some ways that was to be expected.

Defiantly their heaviest album to date production wise, maybe even a bit "cleaner" than Confederacy of Ruined Lives but never once does it cancel out EHG's trademark filth, actually it does wonders for the vocals and drums.

I also loved how the artwork and layout are classic EHG with the chopped up, Burroughs-esque presentation of the lyrics and the booklet looking like a diseased scrapbook.

I missed this thread :D

.. You're welcome :)

Album of the year candidate for me personally, although keep in mind that they're like one of my top 3 favorite bands so fanboyism plays a hand in that. Even still, its a quintessential EHG album. Every aspect of their sound, hardcore punk, blues, "ass drag sludge" as Bower puts it, all present. Doesn't exactly break any new ground but its EHG doing what they do best, although there are instances where influences from the guys various side projects, namely Outlaw Order creep in, but in some ways that was to be expected.

Defiantly their heaviest album to date production wise, maybe even a bit "cleaner" than Confederacy of Ruined Lives but never once does it cancel out EHG's trademark filth, actually it does wonders for the vocals and drums.

I also loved how the artwork and layout are classic EHG with the chopped up, Burroughs-esque presentation of the lyrics and the booklet looking like a diseased scrapbook.

They're definitely in my top 10 too. It took me a couple of spins to get into it but I've already grown to love the record. I actually prefer the clean production and I love all the saturated, bluesy riffs.

^ Loved that. I've listened to them before but kind of forgot about them.

New Lord Mantis is excellent. Saw them live and their sound is crazy good… sorta reminds me to give their newest one a more decent listen.

New EHG fucking rips!

I think it's nearly impossible to call new Mastodon sludge these days, but I have to admit that after giving their newest album few listens, it has really grown on me. I really like Tread Lightly, Chimes at Midnight and Ember City. However, after first listen I had a strange feeling that it's worse than The Hunter.

I think it's nearly impossible to call new Mastodon sludge these days, but I have to admit that after giving their newest album few listens, it has really grown on me. I really like Tread Lightly, Chimes at Midnight and Ember City. However, after first listen I had a strange feeling that it's worse than The Hunter.
Its been years since you could refer to them as "sludge" but whatever. I really like the new album too. Defiantly their most melodic yet but that's hardly a bad thing. Honestly it really shouldn't be all that surprising to anyone who heard The Hunter. What did surprise me was how much Brann sings. Again though, not a bad thing, I like how they trade vocals.

I haven't seen the new Crowbar brought up yet. Thoughts? To me its just like the new Eyehategod, a case of masters showing how its done. Their consistency is staggering. Amazing how at this point in their career Kirk's vocals are probably at their best, really powerful performance on this and the last album too.

Just got back from seeing The Body/Thou collab live. Was pretty good but I feel like both separate would've been better still.

Its been years since you could refer to them as "sludge" but whatever. I really like the new album too. Defiantly their most melodic yet but that's hardly a bad thing. Honestly it really shouldn't be all that surprising to anyone who heard The Hunter. What did surprise me was how much Brann sings. Again though, not a bad thing, I like how they trade vocals.

Yeah, that's true. Their vocals improved much when compared to The Hunter, and they seem to sound well live. I really like poppy choruses like on High Road or The Motherload.