Sludge metal. It's good;

Haha Meth Drinker. That name is almost as hard to take seriously as Weedeater or Bongzilla.

My best friend was heavily into sludge at one point so I've at least been introduced to some of the bands mentioned in this thread. He's now heavily into goregrind though and he's always leaned more towards the tongue-in-cheek "stonery" types of metal than I did. Fine for what it is but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to listen to it.

Don't mistake Meth Drinker for a silly, stonery tongue-in-cheek band though.

Possibly the ugliest sludge band in existence, no comedy involved whatsoever. In fact I know for sure they will survive my losing of interest in sludge over the years to come.

I'll give them a listen. I really like Khanate's debut for sounding like the demented psyche of a deranged serial killer. For some reason they're listed on M-A as drone but that might refer more so to the following albums.

Probably just because sludge is poorly defined. I noticed MA seems generally confused about the genre.

What's a good starting point for Sludge?
Kilslug - Answer the Call
Melvins - Lysol
Eyehategod - Dopesick
Crowbar - Sonic Excess in its Purest Form
Buzzoven - Sore
Grief - Come to Grief
Sourvein - Black Fangs
Fleshpress - Pillars
Cavity - Somewhere Between the Train Station and the Dumping Grounds
Noothgrush - Erode the Person

Admittedly, Pillars might not be the best place to start with Fleshpress if you have a low patience for lengthy ambient breaks but, fuck, what an album.

Dopesick rules.
I know I've said it before but that album was both a personal and musical revelation to me. Not only was it the kind of music I wanted to hear but it was the music I needed to here when I first heard it. I still think its the pinnacle of EHG's recorded output, the finest example of all their influences coming together into something beautifully hideous sounding.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Kind of sounds like Grief. I listened to ...and Man Will Become the Hunted earlier as inspired by this thread and meh.

Except I'd swap out Pillars with something earlier, but that's me.
Something like the S/T or The Art of Losing All would probably be better starting point albums but I listed Pillars because I find it a prime example of how to have an experimental/ambient bend without degenerating into "post" diarrhea. Rwake are another band that bring some nice experimental touches to their sludge.

Yes! Rwake is great. I just picked up Rest and Hell is a Door to the Sun after owning Voice of Omens for years.

Also, pretty sure I thought Weedeater was named after the weed trimmer, not pot. Lol I think I like them better that way

I wish they released more albums. Maybe they would also be perfect. RIP Audrie.
*Audie

Yeah it would've been interesting to see what else they had up their sleeves. I'm guessing Audie was a major contributor, bands don't usually call it a day when the bass player dies. Apparently they had another album almost recorded but it's never seen the light of day.

*Audie

Yeah it would've been interesting to see what else they had up their sleeves. I'm guessing Audie was a major contributor, bands don't usually call it a day when the bass player dies. Apparently they had another album almost recorded but it's never seen the light of day.

I've always been more under the impression that it was out of respect / how tight knit the band was that it brought on the end.