What happened to this forum?

they've all been sucked into paid online groups like Nail The Mix etc. There's a wealth of information for free in this forum but I guess marketing works and people feel that they can buy secret information
I've seen some of URM's YouTube videos and there's nothing there that I haven't learned in this forum or from Ermz's book (and it was cheap for the amount of information in it).

I came back to this site after buying some new equipment to get back into recording after selling all my stuff years ago to focus on my career.

This is the first thread I came across...pretty sad to see how quiet it's gotten. I've read all the responses here and I don't think I can add anything more but just agree with most points in some way.

I guess all we have now are memories of how this place was once so fantastic with insightful criticism of each others mixes and a huge collection of knowledge.

It's one thing reading it somewhere but actually interacting with those who were so experienced on the fly and trying/testing new things was really special.

I wasn't around in the prime days, since I only started reading and asking questions about 4 or 5 years ago. But, even back then I can say there was a significant difference in activity.

That being said, from 5 years ago and up until now, even if there are just a few active guys around, I thought important to thank anyone who's helped me throughout those years. I tried my best to not start old topucs, or asked questions that had already been asked... But I'm sure I failed on numerous occasions!

Hopefully that didn't piss off too many people!

Thanks to you guys, I feel like I learned a lot. I still consider myself a beginner, but that's just because what I was taught made me realized I knew nothing at all before! At least, my stuff stopped sounding like crap and it now sounds "decent", thanks to your answers to my questions.

So that's about it, thought it was worth saying that there are still some noobs like me around, that still learn something, thanks to the few of you that are still roaming this forum! And those noobs, me included, appreciate your help!

Cheers!

Youtube existed 10+ years ago but now it has taken over the main stream of metal music production.
A now fractured community.
This is self evident the guys who criticize the "death" of this forum and then immediately close with "check out my youtube channel!".. ugh.

Yes; it would have been cool if all of the "famous" legacy contributors (Andy Sneap, Eyal Levi, Joel Wanaseck, Andrew Wade, Brian Hood, Joey Sturgis, Glen Fricker, Ola England, Jordan V, etc) would have referred back to this forum for discussion rather than going their separate ways and (barely looking back) but (for the most part) to my knowledge, it did not happen. Every time Glen/ Ola/etc refer back to this forum its always "way back in the day"... as if this forum actually is dead. This forum created value in their lives at the time (10+ years ago) but they moved on to something else. To my knowledge most of them are rarely involved in on a daily/ weekly/monthly basis anymore, but I hope I am wrong.

Most of the mediums they participate in (youtube/ discord) now have a direct or indirect financial incentive (not saying they are evil for this or anything but it is what it is). They are doing awesome and I am genuinely happy for their successes.

If "famous"/ classic forum guys like (Sneap, Joey, Glen, Ola, etc) and newer up-and-coming producer/engineers (and presumably Youtubers since nearly everyone is these days) are going to participate, there would need to be financial incentive. Perhaps the guys at the level of Sneap, etc are are paid a fee for their posts. a section of the forum which pays these guys to continue to be involved on here. If they were posting and discussing the forum even once per month it would bring A LOT of attention to the forum, which would allow the owners to get a lot more money for advertising, which would pay for the articles/posts by the "famous" legacy group. This web site already decided to have forums dedicated to Sneap and Joey so its already in the works. Personally, I would like to see everyone in the same forum as it speaks to the humbleness (discussed further below) which is much more prevalent in metal (I like to think so) than many other music engineer types (i.e. gearslutz). This could be a direct financial incentive for them. Also indirect as they could refer back to their vids, books, etc. But this forum will need to evolve to accomplish this.

There could be positive days ahead. I can see there are still some bright guys on here sharing tips. Not as many as there used to be, but some. The guys who have been on here a long time need to be a lot more patient and understanding with younger members/ contributors. I have watched nearly all of the videos of this group of guys and they are always humble about questions (unless you are a bass player lol). Be a leader, not a whiner (i.e. everyone on here who posts "this place is dead") because that does not help in any way.

Younger guys need to make sure they are not asking questions which have already been posted 100 times. Be interesting, be original. Push yourself. Its harder for the younger guys on here but thats just the way it is.

Every community needs leaders.. This forum will need another generation of leaders if it is going to survive since all of the guys who got it up and running have moved on. Youtube is great, but I hope people do not forget where they came from. This could be a great place again for everyone to come together but it has to be a community wide effort. Just my 2 cents I would like to see this forum continue to be relevant and a success. It has a lot of potential. Just look at the "stars" who began here. Hopefully this post comes across as positive as its meant to.

- JD

I don't see how it would be beneath the guys with more knowledge and experience to contribute on here and answer similar questions from newer members. I also visit Marshallforum.com regularly and am, humbly, known over there as a resource for questions about Iron Maiden and the smaller DSL combos. Whenever someone has a question, I am always glad to help, and am happy to contribute with most recent insights to help newbies avoid the same mistakes I made.

I really do wish there was more involvement from Andy on this forum. Even after almost 3 years of daily practice, literally, I am still far from happy with what I know about recording heavy guitars at home. I have read everything about the topic that I could find on the Internet, and I still find it difficult to separate fact from voodoo, as there is so much contradictory advice out there, or advice that doesn't make sense upon reflection. Having access to info from the pros would really help advance our collective knowledge of the things that work.

I, too, don't like the new trend of people using IR's and modelers to record. I still enjoy the challenge of learning about acoustics, mic placement, tube amp settings, speaker behavior, etc. I think I still suck at it, even after three years of hard work, but I also still enjoy the challenge, and am glad to hear that there are more likeminded people that appreciate old-school metal production techniques.