What happened to this forum?

Nothing happened to this forum, there is just a lack of demand of metal now a days. Lack of aspiring musicians in general. When I was growing up, it was the thing to go over to a friends' house and jam out in the garage. Now a days...kids are more concerned about raves and hipster events. Metalcore isn't even a thing anymore. At least thats how things are in California.
What age group are you talking about? I'm really old and have no clue what young folks are up to these days.

Well the guys my age (22) I know are almost all in one or several active bands, not big acts but still, and most of them go very regularly to gigs, so I don't know if it's that true at least here in France!
What I would say is some definitely prefer to drink/party rather than play or even pay for gigs, but I think that always has been the case, so...

Yea same here in Greece,we have a very big number of active bands, mostly on local level though. Here, many people of the metal community go to many metal gigs every year but almost exclusively in the big names of each genre practically ignoring local gigs. But it has always been like this

Start reading the forum 13 years ago....
I don't read the forum anymore because you all fucking suck and I'm a master at recording, I don't need your help at all..
Jokes aside, I noticed the forum dying later than the layout change. The layout is not the problem. Problem is there are no real good advices anymore I guess. maybe I'm wrong since I don't read that often.

P. S. I suck more than you guys at recording , you're all great

I agree with most of the replies but figured I would add my own .02

As a noob, I try to not post much. I am here to learn and can't really teach anyone here anything.

I'm probably guilty of making the bad posts and sorry if I drove anyone away but I wanted to say I think many people don't know about this forum or how invaluable some of the info here is.

I only knew about this place because of a private convo with a great producer. With all the tutorials and Internet training these days places like this can become obsolete yes BUT I still prefer to learn the true production ways from the pros who know what they're doing.

This place is still amazing and I have years worth of reading to do still.

Reactions: Phil_ocean
I figured out this all depends on me just putting my time. Nobody can actually teach you exactly how to use compression and EQ. You have to experiment yourself, a lot, and forums are totally counterproductive to that. 2 hours reading online is equivalent to about 30 seconds of actual practice.

Probably a niche out there for evaluating practice mixes, but with enforced rules that you can only post 1 song of your own for every 10 evaluations you do for other people's music. My last post in there I think got one reply after like 6 days and it wasn't even accurate

feels like its become less about trading ideas and nerding out and more about trying to get clients, or subscriptions to your mixing blog, youtube channel etc. i came here looking to learn cool tricks and bounce ideas off of people, which i have done and its been awesome, don't get me wrong. i mostly just come here to check the G.A.S. posts, and see if anyone posted anything cool or intersting. lately it has been kinda dry. the same old thing. "how do i get this guitar tone that everyone else has", "how do i put the final nail in the coffin and drag this idea out to death", it happens, but i've always been more interested in things that are on the fringe. oddities, and weird little tips in the ways that other people approach a mix or a tone and the results they got.

i don't give a shit about your drum samples, your new amp sim, mic shootouts, cab impulses your selling, interface troubles, the things we've heard a billion times before and solved a billion times before. seems like a lot of people coming in that don't want to be a part of a "community" which is how this has felt for me, personally. some are just coming here to get easy answers and then out they go, so there's nothing genuine that they bring to the table. maybe im wrong?

that being said, i'll help you troubleshoot your interface problems, mic positions, thats all fine. i really don't have a problem doing it, but search the damn forum and read ahead a bit. there's a VAST wealth of knowledge in the archives of this forum and all you need to do is DO THE WORK and read, but they'd rather just post a question thats been answered, which i can understand, honestly, but sometimes it just feels like you wanna go 'DUDE, SEARCH!'

i guess what im saying is with the influx of new people its become less about community and more about quick answers and promoting their shit, and those of us that want to be a part of a community of like minds are getting distracted and lost in the crowd and noise of it.

i just want to nerd out with you guys. i have enough drum samples, theres a million mic shootouts and demos on youtube, thats not why im here. can we stop with the attempted cash grab and get back to trading ideas and establishing a dialogue?

again, just my two unsolicited cents here. i may be way off the mark for some people and im willing to admit that may be the case.

Reactions: Phil_ocean
I'm not an old poster but i am an old reader. Personally i think most of the big boys were always looking for career advancement and eventually too many people were spruiking their wares so they gave up. From building bands' play counts and facebook/youtube subscribers to hocking books, samples, reamps, tuition etc. But i have been accused of cynicism in the past...

I'm not an old poster but i am an old reader. Personally i think most of the big boys were always looking for career advancement and eventually too many people were spruiking their wares so they gave up. From building bands' play counts and facebook/youtube subscribers to hocking books, samples, reamps, tuition etc. But i have been accused of cynicism in the past...

You need to cheer up =]
Maybe my awesome Conquer All impulse packs available from Joey Sturgis Tones will cheer you up =]
Seriously though, I used to practically live on this forum but Facebook has killed off every forum really.
It's a real shame but a lot of the older regular guys have moved forward in their careers and don't have time to post much.
I would love this forum to get back to the way it was but it's unlikely to happen.

Really? How so?

Groups mainly. There are mixing/gear groups on FB where you post a basic question and get several replies in minutes. Since most people are on their phones they are going to use FB a lot more than coming to a forum. Not to mention you can just post something on your own feed and it will attract the people you want it to like sharing your music or a song by a band you like. Its widespread across the internet that once popular forums are now dying.

Well since you guys mentioned FB groups on this post, I joined some of them and i have to say that I didnt really like them at all :/ They are full of spams and there is no organization whatsoever, it has nothing to do with forums unfortunately... I know URM forum has a reputation of being really really good but you have to be subscriber to be a member.

Since most people are on their phones they are going to use FB a lot more than coming to a forum.
Oh, well. I'm not on Facebook and don't want be. I'll just stick to dedicated recording forums, even if they are dying. Facebook is a half-baked garbage lot.

I'm on some of the FB groups for music production and I get way more feedback there than I ever did here. Usually within a few minutes of asking. I'm not saying it's better, it's not the same thing and looking something up isn't like a forum but as far as getting feedback on a mix or asking a question you need an answer to before next week shows up, it works well.

I'm on some of the FB groups for music production and I get way more feedback there than I ever did here. Usually within a few minutes of asking. I'm not saying it's better, it's not the same thing and looking something up isn't like a forum but as far as getting feedback on a mix or asking a question you need an answer to before next week shows up, it works well.
As fas as speed is concerned then its definitely better but I question the quality of the answers :/

As fas as speed is concerned then its definitely better but I question the quality of the answers :/

It's essentially the same people that were here, man. for example, mickrich and DanLights are on the main one I go to. Anybody can sign up here and give critiques so i don't see how it's that different in terms of membership.

What I don't like with facebook groups is that you don't have easy access to the archive of the posts and such, I spent COUNTLESS hours reading this forum from its beginning since I joined!
But yeah,most (former) regulars here are also active on facebook.

I can't be the only experiencing this because i know more users from different countrys told me the same when the forum layout changed some time ago.
Late at night, the forum is inaccesible, and at times is extremely slow . This happens very randomly but is a constant situation. I remember having a conversation with a guy from Brazil on Facebook and he thought the forum went offline. For example now that im typping this is working OK , but way slower than it used to be.