What is it like to be a metal metalhead in America?

First off, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread, StorTroll.

Originally posted by Blackspirit
I have no idea what to say, except; that right there might be some of the strangest stuff I have ever read on this board?
Really?! Wow. Does this mean our band is splitting up? :cry:

In reference to...

If someone feels like looking like goth, then don't think more about it. It's just like you picking out a pair of let's say blue jeans, this other person picks out a pair of black ones... If you wear a belt, this other person wears a spikey belt... I don't get what's so difficult about that?
Originally posted by Jim_LotFP
Metal continues to be the main focus of my life, in both time spent and financial commitment, what with record buying and listening, the newsletter, internet reading and research, etc etc etc.

If I looked like anything but a metalhead, I think there would be a serious problem.
Originally posted by CAIRATH
I'm proud that I've found a music and culture that is for the most part "real" and not influenced by crap on MTV and I'm not ashamed to show people that I choose to be part of it.

Hell a few weeks ago I walked into the local recordstore while wearing my Opeth shirt and the guy behind the counter (who I've always suspected as a metal lover because of his long hair and general looks) recognized it and we talked about Opeth, Porcupine Tree, and other stuff for like 10 minutes. I loved that.
Don't get me wrong, I've got my share of metal shirts and I wear them with pride.

To me, though, "metalheads" -- i.e., all dark clothing, never smiling, the infamous trenchcoats, basically blurring the line with goths -- try to project a dark image, a feeling of melancholia. Why? Why attach this meaning to metal? Why do you want people to think you're sad all the time? Do you get off on the attention? Do you love "being different"? Yechhh.

(And this, Blackspirit, is why wearing a spikey belt is different from wearing a regular belt, the intended shock value of it. I just wonder what those people are trying to prove.)

My attraction to metal is that the music is more technical and emotional than other genres -- it's about the music. When you attach an image to music, it cheapens the music, in my opinion.

Sure, the people who can't see past the clothing ensemble to the person inside, and just write them off as "evil," are small-minded. But regardless, we all know that's how the majority of people would view someone dressed that way.

So the question becomes, why do you want people to think that? And don't say "I don't care what others think" because you wouldn't go out of your way to dress that way, if that was true. People who dress goth are either trying to impress other goths or isolate themselves from society. Neither one sounds particularly healthy to me.

being a metalhead in the us is quite annoyin, the majority of the people in my school listened to pop and rap, and now the majority listen to rap and nu metal, most of them are dirt bags and posers, im one of the few people in my school that appreciates good music, there used to be a few others, but they're in a band together, used to be really good, but now they have converted over to nu metal cause they want to make money, anyways, i listen to mostly like power metal and death metal, but i like some punk, and classical too, but when i say i like metal i always have to explain that i like metal and not shitty poser metal like disturbed and korn and shit, and when i say punk, they're like oh like blink 182? and im like no, thats pop, i said punk, and then they think of ska, so then i have to describe what real punk music is, it's very agitating, most of the kids in my school r dirtbags and for some reasons most of the girls go for them, so here's what my friend and i have planned to do to make all the girls want us.. we trade in our cars for honda civics, get a pair of tims, wear stuff like ecko and tommy hilfiger, and talk with fake brooklyn accents, lol

The huge majority of people around here listen to rap and nu-metal. There is hardly anyone who listens to much pop that I'm aware of. It's not really that difficult being someone who listens to metal, because a few of my friends have the same or similar interest in music as I do. I also live in a very religious community, so that really doesn't make it any easier. I don't dress like a metalhead, just normally a dress shirt and jeans, but I do also wear band t-shirts (Opeth, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, etc). Have any of you ever had people think that an Opeth shirt said Oprah? I get that all the time for some reason. The ignorance of some people still catches me off guard.

P.S. - This is my first post for this board, even though I've been reading them for a few months now. I look forward to posting here more often. :)

Travis

Well, I go to a school with 30,000+ people, and I've only met 2 other metalheads. The guy I play with now is more into prog/power metal than death and black (but he does like some of each!) and the other guy I met just twice, and he seems to be REALLY anti-social! Always wearing Dissection and Emperor shirts....I don't dress out of the normal, just in band shirts and jeans, usually...people don't like metal though!

There's not much I can say that hasn't been said already. My family and aquaintences don't understand why I like metal (that "crazy devil music" as they refer to it). They used to think I worship Satan at first, but they snapped out of it. When they hear me singing along to the growl vocals they think I'm doing something unholy or something. :lol:

However, I have to admit that though I hate how I am frequently misunderstood, I kind of enjoy it. I don't know exactly why, I guess it's because I feel like I have discovered a thing that is full of depth, emotion, and art, that the majority will never be able to enjoy because of their closed minds. I sometimes dress in black, but it's only sometimes and those times it's because I like it. I don't like being a stereotype (obviously) but that doesn't mean I should cut black out of my wardrobe entirely because some ignorant fool will make assumptions about me because of it.

I know nobody beyond this forum that's into metal, everyone's into rap, r&b. and the people at the youth group are into pop, techno, and rave electronica (talk about being stereotypical :rolleyes: ) Doesn't matter though. Fuck everyone.

Originally posted by Belial
There's not much I can say that hasn't been said already. My family and aquaintences don't understand why I like metal (that "crazy devil music" as they refer to it). They used to think I worship Satan at first, but they snapped out of it. When they hear me singing along to the growl vocals they think I'm doing something unholy or something. :lol:

However, I have to admit that though I hate how I am frequently misunderstood, I kind of enjoy it. I don't know exactly why, I guess it's because I feel like I have discovered a thing that is full of depth, emotion, and art, that the majority will never be able to enjoy because of their closed minds. I sometimes dress in black, but it's only sometimes and those times it's because I like it. I don't like being a stereotype (obviously) but that doesn't mean I should cut black out of my wardrobe entirely because some ignorant fool will make assumptions about me because of it.

I know nobody beyond this forum that's into metal, everyone's into rap, r&b. and the people at the youth group are into pop, techno, and rave electronica (talk about being stereotypical :rolleyes: ) Doesn't matter though. Fuck everyone.

Beautiful, man. Just beautiful. I totally agree and could not have said it better myself. Well put. We have much in common.

The last time I ran into anybody at a record store that suprised me was when I went to look for some used cd's and the dude behind the counter was dressed in kakie pants and a hawian tshirt. He looked like a Beach Boy reject but he said something about my Pantera tshirt and we got to talking, the dude was into black metal! Not Cradle of Filth black metal but Satyricon type black metal, Totally made me "FLIP OUT"!

Originally posted by Lina
If you like wearing all black clothes, etc, it's partly because you WANT people to have a certain opinion of you -- not just that you HAPPEN to like the color black.

I remember a couple people on this board whined about people calling them goth. And then they posted pictures of themselves dressed...you guessed it...goth.

When you're choosing your clothing, you KNOW (or at least you should) what people are going to think of you. If you know but don't care, that's cool -- BUT that only applies to people who show no care whatsoever in their clothing -- not to people who deliberately coordinate their black shirt with their black pants with their black boots with their black hair with their black fingernails with their black belt with their black necklace with their black lipstick.

Maybe in America, not here. I started wearing black clothes about five years ago because I listened to metal. Now I don't wear black clothes because I'm metal any more. I could wear clothes of any color, but I still wear black practically all the time. Why? because I want to look evil at work? oh, please... I just like the color, I am really used to it and most of my clothes are black. I don't see myself in black. I see me, and the image would be the same if I was wearing pink... Just because you know some idiot who acts a certain way, doesn't mean it applies to all people...

I'm 23 years old. I only discovered "real" metal about 2 or 3 years ago (thank you The Crown). Before that I was into punk and hardcore and some alternative rock stuff. Now I listen to metal AND a lot of indie rock AND maybe even bands that some would call EMO! (But I wouldn't call them that)... I'm all over the board with music, just generally in the *rock* category and mostly underground stuff.

My style of casual, everyday dress is pretty non-descript... it's kind of a conglomeration of styles that I've had in the past, and the result is very "normal" looking. Sneakers, blue jeans or khakis, t-shirts or untucked dress shirts, short hair, etc...

It's what I feel comfortable in. I don't dress to match my musical tastes because that would be impossible... I listen to so much different stuff! I try to avoid current trends when I buy clothes (from my punk days it will never wear off - being aware of conforminty and such), but that's my only rule, as such.

On the positive side, I enjoy looking non-descript and then shocking people with the music I listen to. Like some guy that looks like a hardcore metalhead, or something, might look at me and think I'm a dork (I probably am, though), and not know anything about the music he listens to... then I could be there namedropping bands he would've never guessed I knew!

On the negative side, it makes it harder to get "in" with metal heads, or indie hipsters or anyone who might love the same music I do because I'm not dressed like them... so they don't think I'm cool, ya know? But whatever... it's not that big of a deal in my life... but even when I go to shows (especially metal shows), a lot of people won't give me a chance conversation-wise.

I guess what I'm saying is that style of dress often allows you access to people with similar interests. If I passed a guy with a The Crown t-shirt on my college's campus, for example, he would have no idea that I love The Crown and assorted metal bands too.

That's all.

I don't look 'metal' at all.
Blue hair (Oh yeah.. BOWL CUT BABY!), blue eyes, "normal clothes" (with teh addition of a large black warddrobe), and .. uh..
Yeah.,.

Pair of armbands.. uhaegj
Lotta band merchandise.. ty30q7
Pale skin.. aegh-73-7

OKay. stop.

Originally posted by CAIRATH

Hell a few weeks ago I walked into the local recordstore while wearing my Opeth shirt and the guy behind the counter (who I've always suspected as a metal lover because of his long hair and general looks) recognized it and we talked about Opeth, Porcupine Tree, and other stuff for like 10 minutes. I loved that.

Happened to me too. Last Friday when me and friend of mine were at Chuck Schuldiner In Memoriam - concert we saw this guy
with Still Life-shirt on. I found that he was at the same university as I was, even in the same faculty. There was actually four of us
and we decided that in the near future we´ll arrange an Opeth evening where we play their records from Orchid to BWP...

Originally posted by jimbobhickville

Just FYI, Utah is a state, not a city. The people around here are a mixed bag, but there are a lot of self-righteous holier-than-thou hypocrite types. I'm generally a conservative person, but the people here make me look very liberal. Generally, they are trying to be good people, trying to live by what they deem to be right, but there are lots of people who talk the talk and don't walk the walk (damn that sounds trite) and probably more who just brush you off with their self-aggrandized superiority complex. If you're curious about the beliefs of the LDS church, go to the source itself http://www.lds.org (I think that is the url). Other people seem to be certain they believe things they don't. I've heard some interesting ones.

I keep debating whether or not to move away. I don't like this place, but I love my job, so I can't make up my mind. Anyway, everyone I know knows I listen to metal, I don't shy away from it when with them. If I'm driving, they're listening to whatever is in my car, he he. Most of them don't understand or like it, but they don't give me a hard time about it or anything. It's just when I meet new people that I get all the stupid-ass questions.

I was supposed to say Salt Lake City...Thanks for enlightening and the link.

being a metal head here in my area is some what accepted to an extent,but if you dress like a metal head you will get some odd looks from people! Where I live you do not see anybody wearing metal shirts,but if I travel like eight miles from where I live into the downtown area there is a metal scene,its not very big but its there,and the majority of those people where death/blackmetal t-shirts..

The people in my area that don't accept metal(which virtually all of them don't) perceive it as something that is not normal.they think its bad music.They feel that the only "good" music is like popular and all the mainstream stuff.that to them is considered "normal". but its stupid,why have a artificial "appeal" to a particualar type of music?Just because its considered normal? It just does not make to much sense.A lot of these people don't even like music to begin with but they listen to it/or give the impression that they do to please the crowd that they hang out with which is really sad to me,there just to narrow minded to explore and discover better music that actually has real talent and sophistication.

As far as goth is concerned . I'm nott really to fond of the image I just think its over-doing it and exaggerated if you ask me. It just does not seem very healthy to portray such an image,a lot of these people either want attention or are just being rebelious or both.I see nothing wrong with wearing a metal shirt or whatever but to wear make-up spikes aor anything that just crosses the line just doesn't seem correct.But if thats the way they want to dress fine,I just think its to much.

Does anyone else find it funny that the whole deal -"devils music".. "satanists".... etc. etc..... originated from such bands as the Beatles and Kiss and Black Sabbath...

I mean really, its just a sign of how ignorant people can be, nobody (well few anyway) thinks that the Beatles are evil these days... and they laugh at how such music was viewed as evil, but then they go and do the same thing to the current metal scene.

Id like to think the trend will continue though... in 20 years people will look back at the current metal and will see it for what it is, the 'satanist' image that some bands portray will be rightly viewed just as an image (which isnt anywhere near as damaging as the current popstar image - im talking about self esteem based on appearance, and the need for external acceptance instead of being yourself, and the emphasis on popularity/money.. and being 'cool'... and so on)... And then maybe most people will be able to listen to the music for what it is...

Well thats what i hope will happen eventually.

Originally posted by StorTroll

Happened to me too. Last Friday when me and friend of mine were at Chuck Schuldiner In Memoriam - concert we saw this guy
with Still Life-shirt on. I found that he was at the same university as I was, even in the same faculty. There was actually four of us
and we decided that in the near future we´ll arrange an Opeth evening where we play their records from Orchid to BWP...

First of all, I'm the friend. ;) I'm thankful to live in a place like Finland which is small enough for something like this to actually happen. When you have a metal festival or gig in America, people are probably coming from places far away and it's very hard to arrange meetings afterwards.
In Finland there's a definitely a good "concentration" of metalheads! ;)

About prejudices, of course the only possible thing to do is to tell people about yourself and show people your "gentle" side as to speak, because they have reservations about you and might think you are a freak of some kind. In fact I have been very surprised how people actually behave really understanding when you just tell it to them like it is!

To me, though, "metalheads" -- i.e., all dark clothing, never smiling, the infamous trenchcoats, basically blurring the line with goths -- try to project a dark image, a feeling of melancholia. Why? Why attach this meaning to metal? Why do you want people to think you're sad all the time? Do you get off on the attention? Do you love "being different"? Yechhh.

First of all, black is a 'slimming' color, and as someone with hips bigger than Cleveland, I appreciate that. If I wore all white, I'd look like the Staypuff Marshmallow Man.

Makes clothes shopping easier. 'Ah, that shirt fits, I'll take 3 more just like it.' heh.

As far as the fans attaching the meaning to metal... hmmm... have you noticed that since the inception of metal as a genre, it's always been the doom and gloom dark imagery? Unless we're talking the 80s spandex types? Black clothing (and not talking about accessorizing with spikes, studs, makeup, etc) is very safe and easy. You can't fuck it up. Band shirt, black pants, you may look 'typical metal', but you're not going to look like a fucking goofball. I pick up Impelliteri's Stand in Line and see Graham Bonnet in the smurf-blue suit and he just looks like a fucking quack. Somewhere in Time's packaging has Dickinson in some godawful golden pants suspenders thing.

If I look like a stereotype, if I AM a stereotype, that's fine. Because I do what I do and if that creates problems, it's not my problem.

If people mistake me for a Satanist, that's fine, it's better than being mistaken for a Christian.

The only thing I don't like is that people assume that I do drugs and that I drink. I'm afraid there's no real polite way to refuse a drink someone's already bought you, but I personally find it distasteful to even be around alcohol. What stereotype is that? heh

My attraction to metal is that the music is more technical and emotional than other genres -- it's about the music. When you attach an image to music, it cheapens the music, in my opinion.

ALL MUSIC... ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL music has image! You're not a dummy, you know that. Bands select cover art, bands select photos. Even song titles and lyrics create image. Even music creates images, unless it's just bad music.

Opeth has an image. They did even on the first three albums when you couldn't see the bastards.

Don't fool yourself.

I don't pretend to be above the music, not letting its imagery have any effect on me. The music is greater than I am and I am happy to let it do what it will to me...

Besides, it is quite often easy to tell just by looking at band photos A- what the music sounds like, and B- if it is any good. Why confuse things?

A- If they are holding their instruments in the primary publicity photos, there's obviously wankery contained on the CD.

B- If everyone in the band is wearing button down shirts, and not the kind that say 'Joe's Garage' on them, chances are the band's not a mindless blastbeat, but some sort of proggy stuff.

C- If there's more than one guy in the band with a shaved head, it's going to suck.

D- Corpsepaint = BAD!! Immortal and Dimmu are obvious exceptions but even then, there's zero depth and meaning to any of it.

E- Shiny rubber clothing of any kind = bad, with at least some electronics going on in the music

F- Everyone wearing leather pants and leather jackets = It will be generic crap... (looking at YOU, Iced Earth Horror Show photos!)

... and more. :)

So the question becomes, why do you want people to think that? And don't say "I don't care what others think" because you wouldn't go out of your way to dress that way, if that was true. People who dress goth are either trying to impress other goths or isolate themselves from society. Neither one sounds particularly healthy to me.

So how should people dress, oh fashion queen? We've all got our tastes, what we consider 'good', 'normal', and 'distasteful.' If you dress in a way that I would consider ridiculous, why should you care? If you like it, why would any explanation I could give of why I think it silly matter? If it isolates me from society... oh well... 'society' is not a healthy concept anyway.

Really?! Wow. Does this mean our band is splitting up? :cry:

(And this, Blackspirit, is why wearing a spikey belt is different from wearing a regular belt, the intended shock value of it. I just wonder what those people are trying to prove.)

First and foremost; This does not mean our band is splitting up, it's just
that all our sideprojects need all out attention at the moment >:eek:P
We'll come back, strong, tr00 and powerfull in not too long >:eek:) Hehe...

Now, I have a point to make.... People wear gothclothes to chock you say....
And get attention. So, every girl that's out there wearing almost nothing,
looking sexy or whatever, they're just begging to get raped? The rapist sais;
She's asking for it, she was dressed in this or that way.... And parents
tell their doughters "Don't wear those clothes, people might get the
wrong idea." Now my view on this is; Why should the innocent ones
change their style, life, whater? Shouldn't the "crazy" person be the one
that has to change?! Men beat their wifes, the wife gets a new name
and place to life, and everything has to be a secret. Why do they have to
change when it's the man that does something bad?

This could easily turn into another discussion, but that's not what I want,
I just want to prove a point. If I want to look and dress a certain way don't
think more about it. It's just clothes (but also art, in my opinion :eek:) ).
It's all a matter of taste. And if people want attention for their clothes
then so be it, they'll get it, cause we are all judging by looks.

I honestly LOVE spikey belts, BUT I don't own a single one!!! I love the way
they look.... ah...beautiful! :eek:) I'm going to have to buy one :eek:)
Not to shock anyone with it, but because I think it'd look gorgeous
on my new pair of black trousers. *mmmmm* I'm all for personal and
individual style. Sure there are loads of metallooking people out there,
but at least they're wearing what they think is nice. What's more pathetic
is people not daring to wear what they want because people will judge
them, or it will give the wrong idea. Why let other people control you?
Fuck, it's just clothes... :eek:)

Now, I have a point to make.... People wear gothclothes to chock you say....
And get attention. So, every girl that's out there wearing almost nothing,
looking sexy or whatever, they're just begging to get raped? The rapist sais;
She's asking for it, she was dressed in this or that way.... And parents
tell their doughters "Don't wear those clothes, people might get the
wrong idea." Now my view on this is; Why should the innocent ones
change their style, life, whater? Shouldn't the "crazy" person be the one
that has to change?! Men beat their wifes, the wife gets a new name
and place to life, and everything has to be a secret. Why do they have to
change when it's the man that does something bad?

I look at my 16 year-old daughter, and watch how she dresses. She wears "different" clothes then most others - but the biggest thing is they make her feel good about herself.

This is an f'd up world we live in. There are kooks everywhere - looking at girls like my daughter and drooling for all the wrong reasons. But I have 2 choices as a parent - keep her in a closet, or bring her up warning her of the dangers out there, but letting her make her own choices. My wife & I choose the latter, as hard as it is.

Clothes are just that - clothes. Are there limits? Of course - I think wearing a thong in public (not on the beach) would be a little too much. You can only hope that things will be OK - that no one will get hurt because of the looks of their clothing. You can only wish that it's the wackos that will change - but they won't. If you decide to dress in a certain way - you should at least know what is out there potentially waiting for you.