Interview with a Metalhead?

c.368

New Metal Member
Nov 2, 2010
Hey. I’m wondering if I could get a few people to help me out here…I’m finally about to graduate college (w00t), and as one of my final project I’m to select a style tribe and create a lecture based on research and findings of said group, and I’ve picked Metal (obviously…), and I’m presenting to a panel of students and professionals alike. I don’t expect anyone to answer all questions, or any questions at all, but I’d like to get feedback from individuals who actually live this lifestyle instead of trolling on the internet and just getting crap from various websites from “experts”. The questions are cheesy and mildly lame, but I’ll get what I need from them. Troll if you’d like, I really won’t mind. I’d just appreciate any answers. I’d be representing your answers in my presentation by your username, so full names aren’t needed.

Or you can just call me out on anything that’s wrong or that I’ve misrepresented, or that is just flat out retarded. That’d be nice too, so I don’t make a total dick out of myself.

1. How did you get into Metal, or who got you into Metal? What about it attracted you?

2. If you had to pick one song that epitomizes Metal to you, what would it be?
a. What about one album?
b. One artist?

3. What sub-genre of Metal do you think has been most influential to the genre as a whole? (Doom, Black, Speed, Thrash, etc.) Why?

4. What is your opinion on interactive music centered video games such as Rock Band or Guitar Hero? Do you like or dislike them? Do you think it has positively or negatively influenced the genre since the first game release?

5. What are your religious beliefs/affiliations, if you have any? Feel free to discuss or skip this question to your own will.

6. In the UK, many census takers listed their religion as Heavy Metal. What are your thoughts on this “phenomena”?

7. What are your political beliefs? What do you believe are the most important/most damning issues in our world? Feel free to discuss or skip this question at your own will.

8. What about a person makes them Metal? Are there any defining characteristics that make a Metalhead?

9. What does your style consist of? What are some important clothing articles to you, or items you think every Metalhead would or should own?

If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask.

1. How did you get into Metal, or who got you into Metal? What about it attracted you?

Most of my friends were into metal long before I was. After hanging out with them long enough, I eventually grew a taste for it.

2. If you had to pick one song that epitomizes Metal to you, what would it be? "Piss Off I'm Drinking" by Gehennah, but seriously, probably something by Burzum. We'll just stick with the song Burzum (or Dunkelheit if you go that way)
a. What about one album? Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
b. One artist? Burzum

3. What sub-genre of Metal do you think has been most influential to the genre as a whole? (Doom, Black, Speed, Thrash, etc.) Why?

It would be too hard to pick a single genre. Each genre brings its own to the pot. Personally, I'd say Death, Black, and Doom metal.

4. What is your opinion on interactive music centered video games such as Rock Band or Guitar Hero? Do you like or dislike them? Do you think it has positively or negatively influenced the genre since the first game release?

I don't really give a shit. The games are fun for about 20 minutes then I just get pissed off. I don't think it has had any influence on the genre.

5. What are your religious beliefs/affiliations, if you have any? Feel free to discuss or skip this question to your own will.

Atheist. Fuck God Hail Satan.

6. In the UK, many census takers listed their religion as Heavy Metal. What are your thoughts on this “phenomena”?

See above

7. What are your political beliefs? What do you believe are the most important/most damning issues in our world? Feel free to discuss or skip this question at your own will.

meh

8. What about a person makes them Metal? Are there any defining characteristics that make a Metalhead?

None really. The term can be applied to pretty much anyone who enjoys the genre, and even then it's still a stupid term.

9. What does your style consist of? What are some important clothing articles to you, or items you think every Metalhead would or should own?

Uh, dark jeans and a band shirt. During shows I'll throw on my patch jacket. I don't think it really matters. Wear what you want and what you like.

I got into metal through the more accessible forms of it (Black Sabbath, Metallica). I was drawn to it because it just seemed to be really energetic, powerful, and really moving, musically.

2. If you had to pick one song that epitomizes Metal to you, what would it be? "Dunkelheit" by Burzum
a. What about one album? "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" by Burzum
b. One artist? Burzum

Doom, since the first metal band, the band that gave birth to the genre (Black Sabbath) was also a doom band. But each genre has its own artistic merit, has its own scope of influence, etc.

I honestly don't care, Guitar Hero is just sorta fun to play. I don't really have an opinion on it.

Atheist.

Metal 'till death, fuckers.

I honestly don't care, I live in Canada. It's not like we're involved with anything overly important right now anyways.

Yeah, being really devoted to metal, and loving the genre. That's about it though.

I wear whatever. Band shirts, polos, jeans, whatever is the top shirt in my clothes pile.

1.How did you get into Metal, or who got you into Metal? What about it attracted you? It's abrasive and free spirited nature.

2.If you had to pick one song that epitomizes Metal to you, what would it be? Slayer - Evil has no Boundries

3.What sub-genre of Metal do you think has been most influential to the genre as a whole? (Doom, Black, Speed, Thrash, etc.) Doom because Black Sabbath was a Doom band.

4.What is your opinion on interactive music centered video games such as Rock Band or Guitar Hero? Do you like or dislike them? Do you think it has positively or negatively influenced the genre since the first game release? I do not approve of these things at all.

5.What are your religious beliefs/affiliations, if you have any? Feel free to discuss or skip this question to your own will. Atheist.

6.In the UK, many census takers listed their religion as Heavy Metal. What are your thoughts on this “phenomena”? They're all probably posers, lol jk.

7.What are your political beliefs? What do you believe are the most important/most damning issues in our world? Feel free to discuss or skip this question at your own will. Too many thoughts on this to go into high detail. I'll just say I'm neither left or right wing.

8.What about a person makes them Metal? Are there any defining characteristics that make a Metalhead? They listen to Heavy Metal music.

9.What does your style consist of? What are some important clothing articles to you, or items you think every Metalhead would or should own? I have some band shirts but beyond that I wear "normal" clothing I guess. I wear whatever is comfortable.

I heard some songs on the radio when I was a little kid and eventually I picked up some CDs on my own around 14-15 years old. I liked the fast music and the loud vocals.

I have no idea. I'll say Judas Priest - Breaking the Law. it's a fun song I guess!

a. What about one album? Altars of Madness
b. One artist? Morbid Angel

Doom because everything evolved out of Black Sabbath in a way.

I don't like them, but I don't really care if people want to play them.

Atheist

That's cool I guess. I think it's silly, but heavy metal to a lot of people is more than just music. So it's alright I guess.

Don't really have an opinion on this. I pay very little attention to politics.

"Metal" is just being yourself and not caring what other people think about you or what you listen to. That's what I say.

I just wear jeans and tshirts, sometimes a football jersey or a hoodie depending on the weather. I don't have a "style" and there is no 1 item every metalhead show own.

I was just a kid listening to every shit that I was given, and I mean everything. But I loved music so much I spent hours in the internet looking for new music, because you know, there's 0 metal scene in my town (never seen a metalhead there, except some guys that say black sabbath are posers and machine head are the creators of metal, lol). Then I found some metal, and knew that was meant for me. Don't know why, I just got the feeling. At the time I liked the dark and quite fast and brutal music, although I didn't even listen Black, Death or Doom.

Could not say. Not that there are little songs around to pick one up. I'd say some Black Sabbath like Paranoid or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

a. What about one album? Paranoid
b. One artist? Black Sabbath
Not that I am a Sabbath fanboy, but I guess they are so representative of the genre.

Doom because everything evolved out of Black Sabbath in a way. Copied this from Brad, really couldn't say it better

They're fun to play, although they spawn a horde of Dragonforce and the likes fanboys that think that's the most br00tal metal around. Not that I really care. It can also be a way for people to get into metal I guess.

Agnostic Atheist. I don't believe in God, actually I am convinced that God doesn't exist, but I think there's no ultimate truth concerning anything, so can never be sure my beliefs are right.

Sounds poser to me. Like saying hey look, I'm so metal that my official religion is Heavy Metal.

I think currently politicians suck. They just spend their time throwing shit at each other. But I don't really have like a good knowledge of politics to give a solid opinion. And btw, talking about politics in Spain here. Don't know how it is in the US.

A Metalhead is one that listens to metal. 'Nuff said.

Jeans and a T-Shirt. I have some Metal t-shirts, and some t-shirts which are not metal at all.
Of course you have the stereotype, all black leather or militar and trve kvlt band t-shirts.

1 - i think it was 89 or 90, my older cousin gave me his Metallica - One single on tape, and it all started from there for me.

2 - Megadeth - Rust in Peace - Holy Wars

3 - Thrash

4 - aside from the shitty playlists almost all of them have, they're pretty fun.

5 - im not religious and think that religion is one of the dirtiest things mankind has ever come up with, but i do believe that there was/is a creator.

6 - ......thats hilarious

7 - conservative

8 - if you truly enjoy metal, than your a metalhead.

9 - besides the music, i dont think that there is anything that "every metal head should own"

I listened to rock when I was younger, so it was only a short step to Judas Priest, Metallica, etc.

Breaking the Law seems as good as any, I suppose. Fun, rebellious, and by one of the major metal bands.

a. What about one album? Iron Maiden - Killers
b. One artist? Iron Maiden

Doom, I suppose, because of Black Sabbath.

Don't really care. A mediocre band becoming mildly popular for a few months has basically no effect on metal.

I believe in God, or at least some sort of creator, but organized religion has been useless for hundreds of years.

Joking around on a census seems silly.

Mildly conservative.

Listening to metal. Pretty simple.

Jeans and a t-shirt. Generally metal or sports related.

The only thing every metalhead should own is the music itself.

My brother inadvertently got me into to metal when I heard him listening to Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden. I loved the energy and dark atmosphere.

a. What about one album?
b. One artist?

Song: "The Hellion/Electric Eye" by Judas Priest
Album: Powerslave by Iron Maiden
Artist: The ones that started it all, Black Sabbath

Probably death metal. The guitar tones, double bass drumming, harsh vocals have influenced basically every metal sub-gnere to come about over the past 20 - 25 years.

I like those games, they're fun to play. Other than that, I don't think there have much relevance towards or effect upon metal music.

I'm an atheist.

Sounds like people joking around, like writing in Ozzy's name on an election ballot.

I'm an anarchist. I pay close attention to politics, though I'm conversely disgusted by politicians and governance.

They have to love metal music above all others and know those intrinsic, yet intangible and ambiguous qualities that make music metal.

I used to wear spikes and leather, etc., but now that I'm a grown man and father, I limit my metal garb to band t-shirts. I don't look much different from your average blue-collar guy.

I liked some aggressive rock as a middle schooler. I was also somewhat interested in the occult from a curious kid perspective. I stumbled across some Emperor and Cradle of Filth by accident on Napster and that stimulated further interest in extreme metal.

a. What about one album?
b. One artist?

Song: "Painkiller," Judas Priest
Album: "Ride The Lightning," Metallica
Artist: Iron Maiden

Influential - probably straight up classic "heavy metal." It's tough to pick one subgenre to hold above all others as more or less influential than another.

They're fun, so I like them. I'm not sure they have any actual impact on music, except perhaps an unmeasurably small spike in interest in learning real guitar for the purposes of playing metal.

None really. Sometimes I feel spirituality from being in nature, music, dancing, or drugs.

Cute. I would have said that when I was a kid too.

I haven't given this too much thought and so flip-flop between either extreme of the political spectrum. Islam is probably the most controversial and divisive topic making news headlines these days.

A metalhead is someone who proudly enjoys metal. A person is "metal" if they self-identify that way.

I wear current and trendy women's clothing, with the occasional band shirt. I don't think it's about the clothes.

1. How did you get into Metal, or who got you into Metal? What about it attracted you? Just the general "Fuck you all" attiude as well as the driving intensity and raw power.

2. If you had to pick one song that epitomizes Metal to you, what would it be? Too many to mention, but probably Master of Puppets
a. What about one album? see above
b. One artist? Judas Priest

3. What sub-genre of Metal do you think has been most influential to the genre as a whole? (Doom, Black, Speed, Thrash, etc.) Why? Speed because there would be no Black, Death, Thrash, Grind, and whatever variant thereof of metal today.

4. What is your opinion on interactive music centered video games such as Rock Band or Guitar Hero? Do you like or dislike them? Do you think it has positively or negatively influenced the genre since the first game release? I think they're fun. 'Nuff said

5. What are your religious beliefs/affiliations, if you have any? Feel free to discuss or skip this question to your own will. None. I'm Atheist

6. In the UK, many census takers listed their religion as Heavy Metal. What are your thoughts on this “phenomena”? If people are that fanatical, whatever. As much of a fan of metal as I am, I have no desire to go to such a level.

7. What are your political beliefs? What do you believe are the most important/most damning issues in our world? Feel free to discuss or skip this question at your own will. None. As far as I'm concerned, they're all dead inside.

8. What about a person makes them Metal? Are there any defining characteristics that make a Metalhead? A metalhead could be all dark and gothic, or they could wear Abercrombie and Fitch clothes. IMO the only true characteristic of a metalhead is the fact that he/she likes metal.

9. What does your style consist of? What are some important clothing articles to you, or items you think every Metalhead would or should own? Casually, black (or dark colored) shirt and jeans.

It started out as me being a curmudgeonly antisocial misanthrope who identified with something that I knew most people hated (speaking for extreme metal in particular).

Slayer - At Dawn They Sleep

a. What about one album? Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
b. One artist? Slayer

Traditional doom metal because Black Sabbath laid the groundwork for metal as a whole. Simple answer, really.

I find the games kinda lame, personally. I don't think it influenced the genre at all because the game was released when metal had long since started to suck anyway.

Atheist. Religion absolutely disgusts me.

I don't know if "religion" is the appropriate word.

Ultra Left-Wing/Socialist/Collectivist. I believe that we live in a world where there are exploiters and the exploited (aka first world vs. third world). The number one priority, as far as I'm concerned, would be to balance the share of wealth worldwide without concern of how greatly it would reduce it in first world countries. I look at Marxist-Leninist and Maoist ideologies as a primary influence.

By being a rabid fan that is willing to seek out the thousands of hidden gems that the genre has to offer.

I wear jeans, a leather and/or jean jacket, combat boots, metal band shirts, etc. My hair is too thin to grow out easily so I have a shaved head most of the time. No one should be required to wear anything. I just wear what I feel most comfortable in.

Well, one of my close friends was into some random metal bands. He introduced me to some stuff which I liked. I guess I then meet a couple good friends and they introduced me to more stuff.

Burzum - Burzum
a. What about one album?
Mayhem - Deathcrush
b. One artist?
Burzum

I would actually say Thrash. All those early 80's thrash albums really influenced alot of metal. Although I will give credit to Black Sabbath as being the pioneer of metal.

They are moderately entertaining. I dont think they have influenced metal as a genre at all.

Atheist.

Haha. This is interesting. I think that might just be the takers trying to make a joke.

N/A

The only thing required is a deep appreciation of metal.

I always wear black band shirt, black jeans and black boots. I usually wear my patch jacket too, I make it a point to wear it when I go out for social events or anything similar.

Bought Metallica's Black Album in seventh grade, and that was all it took. I liked that the songs were heavy and powerful, and the goosebumps that a good riff/break give you.

Judas Priest - The Sentinel

a. What about one album?
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
b. One artist?
Judas Priest

Heavy/traditional metal (Priest, Iron Maiden etc.) because it was what really formed and defined metal in its early years.

I like them, they're fun and social and a good time waster. I don't know what kind of influence they've had on the genre but I think they've helped it by increasing awareness (except for the kids who think Slipknot are the be all end all, but they were around before GH/RB anyways).

Nominally Christian, but really none.

Kind of stupid, but not really consequential either way.

Moderately liberal, but 100% realist. I think the most important issues are geopolitics and sustainability.

Just listening to the music, really. Anyone can be a metalhead as long as they're into the music and not just one of these kids who listens to Atreyu and Disturbed and thinks he's 'totally metal'.

I still wear some band shirts, but for the most part I've grown out of that and just wear normal clothes nowadays. Every metalhead should probably own at least a couple band shirts, though.

I'll do this not to help but because I like talking about myself.

1. How did you get into Metal, or who got you into Metal?
What about it attracted you?

Me and my friend started drinking when we were like 13 and we thought it would be cool to listen to heaviest music we could find (Soulfly, Slipknot, SOAD, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Stratovarius). I was more interested in it so I looked into it and found out that metal can actually be good. Unlike the bands I mentioned.

Ugh, probably Necropolis by Manilla Road.

a. What about one album?
b. One artist?

Impossible.

What do you mean? I don't really get the question but I guess it would be traditional metal as it was the first.

I don't care.

I'm an atheist and strictly against any organized religion, same as any other sane person.

It's just bullshit. Same as people calling themselves Jedi. That's both just childish and laughable.

I vote for right wing politicians here.

I for one don't consider myself "metal" because I don't wear metal shirts and such, even though I listen to metal everyday. And then there are nerds who wear Children of Bodom hoodies and I don't consider them metal either.

A person who calls himself metalhead should by cds of his favourite metal bands.

ohCRIhz.gif

i think this is would be a cool little thread to resuscitate.