What is it with DT bashers

estYMaj

Music is everything
Sep 21, 2005
Mass, USA
Simple question why do people need to constantly bash them, I keep seeing the comments from some people in either a thread that’s about DT or if someone just mentions them within another thread
I get that DT has changed and some don't like that change so if you don't like there sound anymore it doesn’t mean they suck.
Personally I like the older stuff more , but I really do enjoy the new stuff , not all of it though there are songs like walk beside you and others that I really can’t even bare to listen to but that doesn’t make me feel like they lost it or something
I don’t know just seems like if there is a thread about Dt and you know your not a fan or don't like them anymore why even go in that thread and spew out the bullshit?
Sorry to ramble on but I just don't get it

For sure, Dream Theater are a light of other days but Albums like" Images & Words " Awake " " When Dream And Day Unite " are some of the greatest Prog albums ever. I think the fact La Brie's voice isn't what it used to be and maybe ( just maybe ) Kevin Moore was more important than he gets credit for?

it is because DT are one of the best example of a band who were legends, and then sacrificed the uniquness and godliness of there earlier albums in order to sell more (one of many theroies) but all in all, they cratered. you dont see any longtime fans trying to compare BC&SL or SC with I&W or metropolis pt 2.

Awake slays.

But fuck dude, do you seriously need to make a thread to justify your opinion? Are you expecting a bunch of people to e-pat you on the back and congratulate you for "defending" a band that probably doesn't know you exist, doesn't care, and at any rate won't even matter? Is it your personal quest to convince everyone who frequents this board that you're right? And what do you gain by that? Seriously, this topic is banal.

I used to really love their music, but after 6DOIT it seems like they're phoning it in. There's no real creativity - they just rehash their formula, jam for a few hours, slap it down on a CD and release it. Sad, because they're really talented. Mike once said (though I can't find where I read it) that once they played Budokan and Radio City they acheived all they set out to. I think they lost their edge because they don't have to try anymore to make money. Anything they release sells. They were more creative when they were still trying to make a name for themselves.

it is because DT are one of the best example of a band who were legends, and then sacrificed the uniquness and godliness of there earlier albums in order to sell more (one of many theroies) but all in all, they cratered. you dont see any longtime fans trying to compare BC&SL or SC with I&W or metropolis pt 2.

and yes i do see people compare bc&sl with I&W BTW

No its for people like you who feel the need to go into a post about a band that you feel the need to bash everytime you see them mentioned if theres a thread about them why do you need to go into it if your just gonna bash them
It's fine to comment that you don't care for them no need for the bashing
Just take a look at some of the posts in BC&SL on this forum

im quite the opposite my friend in fact im one who regularly defends them, but it IS hard not to see dt's name on a thread and think to myself, "they were so good at one time, how can you compare?" its more my love for the band that i put up an objective opinion.

DT are big enough. They don't need my praise, and it's fun to give them shit. Besides they wouldn't get any praise now anyway cuz the last 5 albums are shit. The one before the downfall started (SFaM) is ace though.

Anyway, what Ken wrote.

im quite the opposite my friend in fact im one who regularly defends them, but it IS hard not to see dt's name on a thread and think to myself, "they were so good at one time, how can you compare?" its more my love for the band that i put up an objective opinion.

Im very sorry That reply was meant for Ken not to you

And also this is the Symphony X boards and Symphony X fans are at war with Dream Theater fans.

ROMEO VS PETRUCCI WHO WOULD WIN INA FIGHT TO THE DEAATHHhhLOLLLLLLLLDOLREFGDSjfdhgjk

And also this is the Symphony X boards and Symphony X fans are at war with Dream Theater fans.

ROMEO VS PETRUCCI WHO WOULD WIN INA FIGHT TO THE DEAATHHhhLOLLLLLLLLDOLREFGDSjfdhgjk

ok i get it now so i need to hate one of my 2 fav bands ok :lol:

Because starting with Six Dungarees Of Intestinal Flatulence, DT stopped giving a shit. They lost their musical strength by simply creating prog wankery only for the sake of prog wankery; and therefore sacrificed prog wizardry. It has really only been musical masturbation for years.

Oh, and subjectively or objectively- James LaBrie is NO Russell Allen.

That said, Scenes From A Memory is one of my favorite prog metal albums of all time. But they have not created anything remotely near that since.

And for the record, I've been on this board for nearly 8 years and I have never said anything on the preponderance of DT threads on a Symphony X board(yeah I'm aware they have had long hiatuses between albums lately); but I'm saying something now- DO NOT TURN THIS BOARD INTO A DT FORUM!
People who want to constantly discuss DT should go to their site and let this forum be about Symphony X and their fans because after 7 and 1/2 years on here, I'm really fucking sick of it.

Because starting with Six Dungarees Of Intestinal Flatulence, DT stopped giving a shit. They lost their musical strength by simply creating prog wankery only for the sake of prog wankery; and therefore sacrificed prog wizardry. It has really only been musical masturbation for years.

That said, Scenes From A Memory is one of my favorite prog metal albums of all time. But they have not created anything remotely near that since.

And for the record, I've been on this board for nearly 8 years and I have never said anything on the preponderance of DT threads on a Symphony X board(yeah I'm aware they have had long hiatuses between albums lately); but I'm saying something now- DO NOT TURN THIS BOARD INTO A DT FORUM!
People who want to constantly discuss DT should go to their site and let this forum be about Symphony X and their fans because after 7 and 1/2 years on here, I'm really fucking sick of it.

Thats fine you don't like what there doing now my point is why even go to a thread and spew out hatred for any topic if you know you don't even like that topic and not just one time it just happens that i noticed alot in dt threads
Hmm lets see there are posts of all kinds of topics here guess i don't have the right to continue that or perhaps it should be stated SX only

I don't bash them really.. I just throw out jokes and respond to fanboys of the band.

I really think they're all great musicians, but these are the reasons why I don't like them:

I've given Dream Theater a chance, but there are 2 reasons why I don't listen to them.
1. The vocalist sounds bad. Yes, I think he sounds bad. He is constantly wailing and hitting super high notes that most of the time I do not understand him or it just plain sounds bad. Live hes even worse and hits a lot of bad notes. It usually goes something like, sing 2 words in F5 then start wailing in A6 for the final word, and its like that for most of the songs lol.
2. I'm fine with instrumental parts of songs. One of my favorite bands is Symphony X where they go into instrumental parts for their songs, but with Dream Theater, usually these 10/20/30 minute instrumental parts between the verses add no musical value to the song whatsoever. Most of the time they just go into a jam where the keyboard is making a circus sound the other band members are just wanking. At least with Symphony X it adds to the song and stays with the mood and element of the song.

Heres a good example of what I'm saying about the vocalist:

You can really see the differences in this video, hes singing with another dude who sounds really good, Dominici is his name:

Also.. I don't understand the lyrics and they make no sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't you just make this thread over at DTF?

How many forums are you going to do this on?

I partly agree with you, I mean the reason why there is so much DT related stuff on this board is mostly the users fault cuz they always bring DT to half of the discussion, mostly just so they can bash or make fun of the band.

But then again...this thread won't help much cuz now the people have another thread where they can compare the two bands :D

Didn't you just make this thread over at DTF?

How many forums are you going to do this on?

Yes i did i wan't to hear from the 2 forums i go to all the time what the reasoning is since they are my 2 top bands and alot of people listin to both also

When Dream and Day Unite, Images and Words, and Awake are all minor masterpieces, love them all and listen to them very regularly. As for the rest, I think they *helped* ruin prog rock and metal with the trends they started. The albums themselves afterward are also bad. So I'll hate if I want to.

+1 . i am SICK OF IT too ; this place shouldn't a Symphony X vs Dream Theater board ( for all those morons who want to compare music with music : FUCK U all narrow minded people ) otherwise a Symphony X ONLY board .