What is it with DT bashers

You might be misunderstanding people. I would say a large sum of people on these forums have 'loved' dream theater. But over the years they have become bad. No question about it. I love powerful, meaningful, full of emotion type songs that are superbly written. I'm sure many hear are into the same, and Dream Theater just can't do that anymore. They right songs that don't make you feel at all, accept for "god I need to change this song"! They've become bland and borring. Are they awesome musicians? YES. Do I love them? Yes...Just not there new stuff. I can't do anything passed Train of Thought accept for a couple songs.

So some people are harsh on their comments about them, but most of them will even say. They loved I&W and Dream Theater has just gone down hill from there. I believe they've gone to an entirely differn't spectrum of music and its a shame, its one that I don't like!

Yes i did i wan't to hear from the 2 forums i go to all the time what the reasoning is since they are my 2 top bands and alot of people listin to both also

I gave my two cents. Do whatever it is you need to do to accommodate that information in your personal reality. And please use some punctuation, ffs.

You are not going to get all positive replies. That is the nature of the real world. If you'll scroll back to what I previously wrote, you will see that I prefaced it by stating a particular album (which, in turn, is not alone) that gathered much of my attention. There is some superb material out by Dream Theater. However, I feel my right to share criticism is also justified.

Furthermore, and much more to the point, your ability or inability to read such criticism is a null point. The criticism and praise are not even directed at you personally. Not even indirectly. It is not my problem nor my care that you chose to accept these opinions onto yourself, as if you were a member of this band. It seems rather fruitless.

proulxski hit the nail in the head, I think. The biggest reason for why I stopped caring about Dream Theater was that I don't have any emotional touch to their (new) music. I just don't connect to it. I rather get annoyed.

Just to test this I put the newest DT playing. It's not like I hate it. It's just a bit... It somehow sounds stale. Even with a lot of stuff going on. And I get to a solo and simply don't want to listen to it.

90% of the "bashing" here is gratuitous, there's no doubt about that. My opinion (which, for the record, is mixed) of the band aside, I don't see the appeal of focusing so much on negativity and things we don't like (at least in situations where it is not constructive or relevant). We are, however, all human beings with very fragile egos that we apparently have to flash in everyone's face at every opportunity. Ultimately, you're better off to just grow some thicker skin and get over it.

DT bashers can say what they want... you think the guys in the band care? They're loaded, have a huge fanbase, and tons of respect from musicians the world over.

The same could be said of Soulja Boy.I mean obviously nobody is ever going to give a shit what I think - but I do, which is enough for me to complain.

proulxski hit the nail in the head, I think. The biggest reason for why I stopped caring about Dream Theater was that I don't have any emotional touch to their (new) music. I just don't connect to it. I rather get annoyed.

Just to test this I put the newest DT playing. It's not like I hate it. It's just a bit... It somehow sounds stale. Even with a lot of stuff going on. And I get to a solo and simply don't want to listen to it.

Precisely how I feel!

And to a few others, the bashing is gratuitis (or however its spelt) But thats internet language for you, nothing is ever sugar coated online. But how can someone see how much we bash DT, or how much we actually hate or love dream theater when the extent of most peoples conversations consists of caps, and internet slang talk. The internet is the worst way to display emotion.

Needless to say, this is a symphony x forum. And while fun conversations about other bands are welcome, I don't think a "why don't you guys realize how awesome dt are" preacher type post, just doesn't cut it. We all have opinions, and are entitled to it. If you wanna justify how awesome DT is, go to their forums and do it!

And to a few others, the bashing is gratuitis (or however its spelt) But thats internet language for you, nothing is ever sugar coated online. But how can someone see how much we bash DT, or how much we actually hate or love dream theater when the extent of most peoples conversations consists of caps, and internet slang talk. The internet is the worst way to display emotion.

I'm not sure you actually understand what I said (I'm assuming this was directed at me since I was the one who called the bashing gratuitous).

Actually i sorta fucked up my post. I was agreeing with you, that the bashing gets pretty bad. Which is wrong, but for someone to create a thread about it, is just absurd! Than I followed it with, internet talk is never sugar coated. And no matter what team you play for, you will get that shit.

Sorry for the misunderstanding duder!

Dream Theater is the best band in the world... simply Symphony X fans are jealous coz their favorite band didn't get much credit as DT. :)
*either ban or a bunch of insults are expected :) *

SX ftw !

No, you're entitled to your own opinion. However this thread is still useless, just as much as yours is useless.

And Symphony is my favourite band, Dream Theater is also one that I enjoy. Just no where near as much, not even when they where releasing good stuff.

You can't please everyone, nor should you try. Over 20 years of making music you're going to gain some fans and lose others. Does it really matter? No. There are people who will prefer different periods of any band's career. Is it realistic to expect to have your own tastes catered for at all times? No. It would seem that over the last few years people generally have developed a sense of entitlement, and get all pissypants when things change against their wishes. IF DT or anyone else stuck to the same style, they'd be called boring and samey, if they change they're accused of not knowing what they want to be or losing focus or some other mealy-mouthed crap written by people who are too full of their own self-importance. Does it matter? No. It's only music, it really doesn't have much significance beyond entertainment (or lack thereof). Who cares? Next!! :rolleyes:

Most people compare Dream Theater's new releases with the old one, and they like the old stuff more, that's why they say DT sucks... And judging a band just by one or two albums is as stupid as my first post above. :)

You can't please everyone, nor should you try. Over 20 years of making music you're going to gain some fans and lose others. Does it really matter? No. There are people who will prefer different periods of any band's career. Is it realistic to expect to have your own tastes catered for at all times? No. It would seem that over the last few years people generally have developed a sense of entitlement, and get all pissypants when things change against their wishes. IF DT or anyone else stuck to the same style, they'd be called boring and samey, if they change they're accused of not knowing what they want to be or losing focus or some other mealy-mouthed crap written by people who are too full of their own self-importance. Does it matter? No. It's only music, it really doesn't have much significance beyond entertainment (or lack thereof). Who cares? Next!! :rolleyes:

I can underrstand fully what your saying, but music is important to some people and sometimes its all people have. Never under estimate the power of music!!

proulxski said:
If you wanna justify how awesome DT is, go to their forums and do it!

No thrill in there. It's preaching to the converted. :heh:

In every metal forum I've been in I've seen an incarnation of this thread lying around. And in every one of them I say this: I am so missing the point.

No comparison between DT and SX occurs since both are good at what they do. It just so happened that SyX has had more serious prog fan appeal even with the last LP than Dream Theater had with every release after SFAM.

This topic is always amusing. For me I found Dream Theater when they were relatively new and they really were something to hear especially at that time. Since then they rubbed off pretty good on other musicians with progressive leanings and the whole progressive metal thing took off. I found Symphony X about 5 years into their career and recogonized the similiarity and differences immeadiately. So I have always wondered "whats the big deal", I like them both just fine. Otherwise Jeffs post is spot on.