What is your biggest musical guilty pleasure?

I've got a soft spot for certain power metal bands, specifically Sonata Arctica, Dragonforce, Symphony X, and Hammerfall.

But a more guilty pleasure would be Coheed & Cambria as well as a few hardcore bands my friend got me into.

I guess you mean guilty by the standards of this board ???

I have many. I'll start with Sarah Brightman, Enya, Coldplay, U2, 50's & 60's love ballads, 80's hair bands, Frank Sinatra's early years, depeche mode, Bee-Gees, Madonna, Alicia Keys, Phil Collins, & the great Percy Faith. I listen to all of them often.

I also watch tons of TV musicals from the 30's & early 40's & enjoy the music. I like grand orchestra productions. Also anything from Marilyn Monroe. What a babe she was.

And the Phantom of the Opera, which I'll be seeing again in the near future !

If I had to pick one I'd say Sarah Brightman. Nobody in the world can reach those levels vocally.

NONE. im not ashamed of anything that i listen and im not embarrassed to point out any band, anywhere, anytime to anyone. im not a metalhead, im a music listener. but like kenneth r, here are some im sure i would get flamed for:

lake of tears
garbage
goo goo dolls
beyoncé (NOT destiny's child)
incubus
korn
many many djs and electronica musicians
the lighthouse family
mc5
manic street preachers
muse
meatloaf
joy division
mudvayne
korn
jay jay johanson
jewel (her old stuff)
coldplay
kiss
lenny kravitz
michael jackson
madonna (her "something to remember" album is one of the best pop albums in my collection)
george michael (his "older" album is one of the greatest i've ever heard)
u2
moby
danzig
peter gabriel
iggy pop
the white stripes
the strokes
barry white
hole
hooverphonic
rem

this shit list goes on and on :)

Lietuvis said:
Coldplay and Depeche Mode.
Man! Depeche Mode are the godfathers of electronic music (except if you count Kraftwerk). I am actually a DM fan and have been ever since People are People. They have been able to survive through the 80's and 90's in a way few other bands have, always remaining pertinent in their scene. Nothing to be ashamed of my friend!

Cheers!

opeth8 said:
If I had to pick one I'd say Sarah Brightman. Nobody in the world can reach those levels vocally.
Nothing wrong with Sarah Brightman (I actually had a massive thing for her when I was younger :lol: ... though the Cats thing scares the hell out of me!) Eden actually has some great moments in it. I sometimes wish I still had it.

Guilty pleasures: (these are probably gonna be some of the worst yet)

Marilyn Manson (used to be really into his stuff years ago. Still quite like parts of Mechanical Animals and the songs Long Hard Road Out Of Hell, The Nobodies, I Put A Spell On You and a few tracks from 'Portrait ...')
Stratovarius (not so much anymore, but I do still enjoy Dreamspace and Episode)
Wednesday 13 (er, not really, though occasionally I Walked With A Zombie doesn't annoy me. Haven't heard much else though)

Bands I'm not at all ashamed to admit I like but have been told I should be:

WASP
Cinderella
Yngwie Malmsteen

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Why is it a guilty pleasure to like Yngwie Malmsteen and especially Symphony X? I really don't know anyone who would make fun of someone for liking them.

Every time i mention that I like Yngwie Malmsteen someone laughs (actually - most people do). Its because alot of his mid-late 90's stuff like Magnum Opus & War To End All Wars is pretty crap, and Im a huge fan admitting that. But im still proud to be a fan, I just brought him up cos I knew most people would find it funny.

Powers said:
For hardcore i prefer Champion and Comeback Kid, myself.

you may like With Honor's first 3 releases (by that i mean their first album 'Heart Means Everything, their self-titled EP, and Thier split with a band called the distance)...

dunno if youd like their new album though...it's ok...but nothing compared to the first album and that split.

"Rethink, Return" and "Pipe Dream" are awesome tracks.

I have plenty of bands for that style.

I'm big into hardcore myself.

but i have no guilty pleasures in music....as someone said...i like it, i listen to it...

daz436 said:
Every time i mention that I like Yngwie Malmsteen someone laughs (actually - most people do). Its because alot of his mid-late 90's stuff like Magnum Opus & War To End All Wars is pretty crap, and Im a huge fan admitting that. But im still proud to be a fan, I just brought him up cos I knew most people would find it funny.
I really like Yngwie. :erk:

Yngwie is not funny to me, he's just über.

America...remember them? But I don't feel guilty about it because they are fucking good...erm...