what is your tuning & strings gauge ?

My main axe is an Ibanez RGA8, pups have been swapped for EMG 808s, and killswitch is wired in where the mid switch was. Tuning is one step down, with a drop D1, (DADGCFAD). A light top heavy bottom set (.010 - .052) goes on the top six, a .070 on the low A, and a .100 for the low D. D'Addario XL nickelwounds throughout.

Ibanez SZ320 (25.1" scale)
Drop C
D'Addario 11-56.

Did lots of 'string gauge experimenting' for this tuning. I used to use 10-52, then went to 11-52, then 12-52, then I got a 7-string set and got rid of the highest string, so I made it an 11-54 set. I am happy with 11-56 right now. :)

Epiphone POS (24.75" scale)
Drop D
D'Addario 10-52.

My main axe is an Ibanez RGA8, pups have been swapped for EMG 808s, and killswitch is wired in where the mid switch was. Tuning is one step down, with a drop D1, (DADGCFAD). A light top heavy bottom set (.010 - .052) goes on the top six, a .070 on the low A, and a .100 for the low D. D'Addario XL nickelwounds throughout.
please post à clip with the 100 !

I feel like a pussy here, you guys use ropes as strings :p

Anyway Prs CE24 in drop B-->11 to 56
Prs Tremonti SE in drop C-->11 to 54
Schecter 7 String in drop A-->9 to 56

All of them are d'addario strings, getting worried about my sweat destroying strings in no time ( rust) but never liked the tone of coated strings.

Dunlop Heavy Core 11-50 on everything from E standard to Drop C. nice and tight everytime.

ESP Eclipse, ESP Ex and Jackson Kv2.

holy shit, i´m shocked about some people´s string gauges in here :O :D

until 2 weeks ago i used 12-60 for standard C. the bottom strings were so stiff and rigid already, there was barely any note attack. sounded almost like playing with my thumb, on two guitars (so it´s not just a defective set of strings).
now it´s 12-16-20-29-41-55, Circle K / Kalium Strings. much better

holy shit, i´m shocked about some people´s string gauges in here :O :D

until 2 weeks ago i used 12-60 for standard C. the bottom strings were so stiff and rigid already, there was barely any note attack. sounded almost like playing with my thumb, on two guitars (so it´s not just a defective set of strings).
now it´s 12-16-20-29-41-55, Circle K / Kalium Strings. much better

I pretty much agree with you on the string gauge thing, I guess downtuning to drop z (it's has somehow always to be drop z instead of z standard :lol:) brings the br00tlz.

I myself use Dean Markley 9-46 set on my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top for E standard tuning, I myself hate playing on dropped tunings, not because of the sound, I just can't come up with riffs and stuff as well as on the standard tuning, maybe I should again try to play on D standard as I used to earlier. For my Ibanez GSR180 bass I use the basic 45-105 set, it just works.

I know this thread is four years old, but fuck it:

11-54 Drop C on one Jackson Dinky, Drop D on another
12-56, ESP LTD MH-1000, Drop B
55-125, or 60-125 Fender Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, Drop C
70-135, Fender Jazz Japan, Drop B

Scale lengths I believe are normal for all of my guitars, ie. no extended scale lengths. I may move up higher for Drop B on my LTD, it seems a bit too loose for my liking.

Fuck I hate this thread. Drop tuning is an iternval pattern not something lower than E standard

E Standard - EADGBE
Drop D - DADGBE
D Standard - DGCFAD
Drop C - CGCFAD

See the differnce?

Fuck I hate this thread. Drop tuning is an iternval pattern not something lower than E standard

E Standard - EADGBE
Drop D - DADGBE
D Standard - DGCFAD
Drop C - CGCFAD

See the differnce?

I don't know if this was intended for me, but yes, I do know the difference, there is nothing wrong with dropped tunings, I just myself can't come up with stuff I like on Drop D for example because of that interval pattern, mainly because I'm so used to standard tunings (for example chords are PITA for me in dropped tunings, take F major barre chord for example, yes that can be taken from other places than on E that's now dropped to D-string but it doesn't sound the same), but for other people it works and sounds good so who cares ;). E and D standard tunings work for me, Drop D and Open D doesn't work so well, that's 100% my fault but it doesn't really bother me.

Stinnett C6 custom and Schecter C-1 Stealth (TOM bridges) - 10-52 (10, 13, 17, 28, 38, 52)
Fender Telecaster - 10-46 (standard guages)

All gtrs in E standard. I use the heavier bottom strings on the TOM loaded guitars because I pick things out of tune more often on those due to the bridge being higher off the body, and the relatively thinner strings on the Tele help to retain some of that classic Tele smack/twang that I've nearly negated with humbuckers.

Have definitely changed this up in the last 4 years:

11, 15, 19, 28, 40, 60 for Drop C
10-52 for E/drop D. Tele has a single coil now.

All gtrs 25.5.