What kind of cash do metal bands rake in anyway?

Metallica = Probably richest band ever. Even Fall Out Boy and 50 Cent fans like them.

Their reach is long.

Maybe the richest band? I have talked with some metal fans who actually like Load, Re-load and St. Anger too...

But yeah, I initially meant, 'Richest Metal Band'.

I never really thought about this until about a few minutes ago. How much money do well-known metal bands I.E. Opeth, Children Of Bodom, In Flames etc. earn, whether it be from albums or touring, I'm just curious.

I don't think you're going to get any sort of accurate answer to that one around here. Unless someone who posts on this board is an accountant for a bunch of bands or a label.

i wonder how much a band like... absurd makes. or taake.

thats a question someone here could answer
~gR~

some metal bands have some of the most loyal fans of all. Therefore whenever they play live, Hundreds Hopefully THOUSANDS of people come. And remember like 80% of concert ticket money is distributed through the band.Metalbands would not be making the cash they to today if it werent for their fans.

I never really thought about this until about a few minutes ago. How much money do well-known metal bands I.E. Opeth, Children Of Bodom, In Flames etc. earn, whether it be from albums or touring, I'm just curious.

For bands of that caliber---bands who, at this point in their career, can often tour North America and play to sold-out crowds of around 1000---I'd imagine they could potentially pull anywhere from $2000-$4000 a gig. Not that I have any kind of bookkeeping records to support that. But to put it in perspective, Napalm Death's touring over here in recent years has earned them around $1200 a night, and Cryptopsy can make about the same. A slightly smaller act like Dying Fetus has made maybe $500-$800 a show in recent years. Cattle Decapitation, and even smaller band, was only making about $100 for the first few times they passed through here on tour, though I'm sure they're doing better than that these days. On the flipside, when Testament played a few select US shows with the old lineup a couple of years back, they asked for $8000 from a club around here. Even if they didn't get that much, I doubt it was much lower. So that might give you some idea. I used to know a concert promoter, so I have some frame of reference as to what kind of dough those kind of bands pull in, but it's still kind of based on educated guesses.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of those figures are based on gigs where there was just one, maybe two big touring bands on the bill with the rest being local support (who get shit pay, of course, or maybe none at all). When a big tour with 3-5 bands comes through town, the club often pays a flat fee for the whole package, and each band's pay usually drops a bit compared to if each of those bands were playing separate shows.

The bands that can headline gigs at actual concert venues (not just bars) are probably doing well enough to live off their music. Touring isn't 100% necessary. I'm pretty sure Xasthur does well enough to not have to work.

You also have a lot of guys who get involved either with labels, distribution, or producing to make extra money.

here's a basic computation for royalties on a CD sale for a band (remember this is just a basic computation of a royalty.. it does not take into account other recoupments such as recording costs etc.):

Retail price $15.98
Less: 25% Packaging -3.99
______
Royalty Base $11.98
Royalty Rate X8.5%
______

Royalty (Rounded to Penny) $1.01

So you can see not much is made from royalties on a CD sale for a underground band who don't sell enough. Touring imo is where the $$ is at with royalties being the icing on the cake. I think it is the reason The Rolling Stones (arguably the largest grossing concert band in the world) rather make their money from touring then from album sales. But you have to remember in touring you have alot of expenses such as paying roadies, equipment, managers, travel expenses (airline tickets, hotels etc.) etc.. etc....

A band that either self-releases or works through a small 'bedroom' label makes considerably more money per CD sale than that number up there. Though, of course, their recording/pressing costs are also up due to not being covered by the label's money.

A band that either self-releases or works through a small 'bedroom' label makes considerably more money per CD sale than that number up there. Though, of course, their recording/pressing costs are also up due to not being covered by the label's money.

We'll of course my computation meant if they were signed to a label not their own.. if their own all those #'s are just being paid to themselves... the packaging , recording costs etc. are just business expenses that are written off on their taxes (in the U.S. i don't know accounting practices in other countries)...

I'm pretty sure Xasthur does well enough to not have to work.

I'm very sure that you're dead fucken wrong. Touring fuckloads and selling merchandise is the key to be able to live off your music, and in metal music VERY few can do it. In extreme metal, close to noone. Just think, how many albums/shirts would you have to sell each and every month to be able to pay your rent? Make that times ten and you're closing in on the artist getting enough, then double to cover expenses, double again for shipping and handling, add some more to cover taxes and shit, and double again to afford all the other bills, gas, food, beer and other necessities.

Also, most bands have several members so make all of that times the number of dudes involved.

Some bands I bet bring in the green.

Opeth,Amorphis,The Gathering,Lacuna Coil,Katatonia, Sentenced probably did before breaking up,Cradle of Filth,Dimmu Borgir,etc..