What kind of cash do metal bands rake in anyway?

Hmm, yeah, that does seem pretty cheap. So as long as they sell even a few albums, there's a considerable profit margin. Studio time is also not as expensive as it's made out to be unless you want some serious pro kind of shit, and have the need to rent equipment for prolonged periods of time.

Most underground shit doesn't need insane production anyhow.

I'm sure bands like Cannibal corpse, Deicide, Suffocation, Nile all make good living out of their music. By in large very few bands are able to do so.

Daniel from Pain of Salvation lives off of his music, but for some reason the other members hold jobs (by choice, as I'm sure they could live off of the music too.)

Well obviosly you wont make much when you start. But like children of bodom, as you grow larger you sell more cds and merch. This can lead to endorsements which can make you a ton of fucking money. Now you see there shirts in hot topic which leads to MUCH more shirts selling or you see these 2000 guitars in stores which i am sure earns them some good money.

one of nile members quit the band as his dayjob was making him far more money, so that should tell you it's probably not that much

well, earning a living, and earning a good living are 2 different things.

most large bands could prolly afford a small house or decent apartment just from band revenue. but if you want a nice place and a nice car, you gotta be iron maiden or somthin
~gR~

Actually, a hot-sauce or BBQ-sauce endorsement.

But really, I don't know. I'm sure a bunch of more aboveground bands are endorsed by music equipment.

lol fuck what a random endorsement. was the head of the company a fan or something?