What Kinda Metal would you classify Vintersorg?

If you think classifying it is difficult for the albums that are out now...wait until you hear the new stuff. He's complicated matters worse by making something even more hybrid than usual. Asgeir loosley called it "prog rock on speed", sometimes I think of it as hippie metal, a lot of people say it's progressive...but what does it progress to? I think the black metal references have dissapated by now. I think the old terms are inaccurate and we need new ones. Well...we don't really need another classification. But sometimes it's a necessary evil to be able to relate in conversation or catagorization. All I know is a lot of boundaries have been crossed on this one more than the last. It goes from some hectic, almost thrash sounding stuff into some symphonic interludes, and from heavy groove catchy stuff into some really mellow acoustic stuff. The instrumentation, including the vocals, are never really dwelling for too long on one sound. It's more of a rollercoaster of a journey than any of the previous songs I know. Which, by the way, is waaaaay more fun for me and most likely the other guys to play. And the result is something more enjoyable to listen to. Since I've heard the final mix, I've changed favorite songs a few times, always finding something new that just breezed by before. Have fun trying to make this one fit in, because it easily stands alone.
SDG

HippieOfDoom said:
we don't really need another classification. But sometimes it's a necessary evil to be able to relate in conversation or catagorization.SDG
Thats actually why I posted it. I was telling my friend about Vintersorg and he asked what kinda Metal it was and I couldn't really tell him becasue it's something own it's own. Very easy to pick up and listen because of the mix of musical styles, I love it.

Fuck. I bowed under for the pressure, and downloaded "The Essence" from the new Vintersorg album. It was just what I needed. Would you move to Utah and marry Asgeir, Vintersorg, and Mattias if I payed for the wedding and a trailer thrash home plus a mobile studio? Seriously, you guys should spend more time in a studio and put out more of this stuff! But this album will probably soothe my need for psycho prog metal for a little while.. Your work on the fretless is really awe-inspiring.