What style would you classify Nevermore as?

Soul of Ice

Rusted Angel
Jul 29, 2002
Yonkers
Visit site
This question has been on my mind as of late and i have been really listening POE, DNB, and DHiaDW the past few weeks and it is still a hard question to answer.

I have heard them called power metal, which i dont agree with at all. When I think power metal i think Manowar or the like. Sure Nevermore has a ton of double bass but that shouldnt be the basis of the assessment. Although I think Dead Heart is a lean more towards power metal than their older stuff, I still love the disc.

If anything I think I would classify them as a progressive thrash metal band somewhere between Anacrusis being the extreme and Gracepoint being the lightest. I say progressive because of the amazing skill each band member has over their instrument, including Warrell and his amazing control over an amazing and unique voice. Also the composition of each song is very complex moreso than the accredited prog band Symphony X, where each song follows a unique pattern rather than a formula which many "prog" bands have gotten used to. Then here comes the thrash assessment, this should be kinda obvious, they play their instruments heavy as all hell somewhat similar to old Anthrax. They keep their complexity while remaining uber heavy. I admire that :)

Now how do you classify them, and what are your reasons?

You would call anacrusis extreme? :err: Interesting. They're fairly *yawn* to me.

Depends on what album you are talking about.

The first one is more sanctuary-esque, so maybe thrashy-power metal, but there is a little bit of prog in there for good measure... Politics of Ecstasy is progressive thrash, nothing more, nothing less, In Memory is a hard one, it's not so proggy, and yet it's not thrash or power metal... I'd probably go with thrashy power metal... DNB is even harder, it gets labelled as power metal all the time, but it's nothing like PM, except for maybe the vocals, which even then is a far stretch from PM. It's thrash- something, maybe acoustic-doom for the clean bits, thrash for the heavy bits, but when it comes to cenotaph? What the hell is that all about :lol: Dead Heart in a Dead world is Power Metal. Yes, it's in line with Iced Earth. How sad. *cough*

-np - IE Jeckyl and Hyde.

everytime you compare DHIADW to HS i fucking cringe. i agree with just about everything else you have to say about it, but HS is so fucking inferior its a joke.
-neal

Originally posted by neal
everytime you compare DHIADW to HS i fucking cringe. i agree with just about everything else you have to say about it, but HS is so fucking inferior its a joke.
-neal

Horror show is the better album of the two.

The reason i started comparing the two is because the production is exactly the same, except Schaffer's guitar tone is a hell of alot better than poor lil' jeff's.

Tell me dude, do you SERIOUSLY dislike a song like Dracula, or Jeckle and Hyde? Man, they fucking rule dude... I'd prefer them any day over Insignificant or Narco"numetal"Synthesis.

Originally posted by Trapped
You would call anacrusis extreme? :err: Interesting. They're fairly *yawn* to me.

Well, extreme as in the style of vocals that i am not a fan of, plus i really cant think of a heavier proggy thrash band.

:Dead Heart in a Dead world is Power Metal. Yes, it's in line with Iced Earth. How sad. *cough*

-np - IE Jeckyl and Hyde.

Hypocrite ;)

I dont Dead Heart is full blown power in the likes of Iced Earth. Its just got a few tendencies imo

I wouldn't call blind guardian power metal... they get called that alot, in fact, they are alot of the time the pre-requisite for what power metal bands listen to and get inspire by... Listen to "Into the storm" from nightfall, that's no less thrash, and no more power metal than THe Death of passion... i don't get all these genre classifications. Two bands with similar tendancies, and they are totally different genres. Go figure?

What's that? Someone called me a hypocrite? THey want a war? eh? eh? EH!? :D

I wouldn't call Iced Earth "Full Blown Power Metal" either. I've always considered them thrash... it's not about the vocals, it's about the music... and when it all comes down to it, it's thrash.

In fact, Dead Heart is MORE power metal than Horror Show, as Dead Heart has a pile of crappy emo-ballads about how warrel has a small dick (insignificant)

ha ha...

Okay, lets stop this arguament... genres suck, but nevermore rule :D

np - Fiona Apple - Fast as you can FIONA IS METAL DAMMIT! :headbang:

Nah, she's one of them herion chicks... i wouldn't touch her with someone elses ten foot pole... But hey, Fast as you can rules :headbang:

and it IS metal. That riff, the odd one, in FAYC could pass for a megadeth riff from Rust in Peace... except after dave takes some morphein and slows it down a bit...