What releases are you looking forward to in 2006?

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I was just reading about a new RAGE album over on the ProgPower boards. I just barely got Soundchaser, and that album kicks ass! It had been on my wishlist for almost a year (after downloading a couple songs last spring), and I was finally able to snag a copy last week. Once I heard the whole album, it pissed me off I'd delayed getting it for so long. Anyone know if their early albums were as good as Soundchaser?
They've had various line-ups and their sound has changed over the years, especially considering they have released 17 (!) albums. The previous record Unity is in the same vein as Soundchaser, you can't be disappointed by this one :)

As for the earlier stuff, I'm not so much into their 80's records honestly, a few good songs here and there but IMO Rage was just a second rate Accept on steroids at the time. In other words, typical german speed metal.
I think their songwriting improved at the end of the 80's / beginning of the 90's on records such as Secrets In A Weird World and Reflections of a Shadow. The band had become a power trio by then, after starting as a four piece in the early 80's.

During the 90's they kept improving and maturing : I'd recommend Trapped and The Missing Link, their last before they became a four piece band again.
Black in Mind and End of All Days follow, featuring a different line-up and new ideas but same kick-ass energy! Many fans consider this mid 90's period and those 4 records as the best Rage years.

On to another change with XIII, their "symphonic" record and a wonderful one to boot! One of my favorites, very different from the other 90's cds. The follow-up Ghosts is like a softer version of XIII, done with samples instead of real orchestral arrangements.
Coming into the 21st century the line-up was dissolved again and Peavy recruited new blood for what has become the actual trio, dropping the symphonic element, back to crushing heavy metal! Welcome to the Other Side is an ok record but Unity and Soundchaser are much stronger.

I forgot to mention their live records, EPs, re-recordings and so on, there's just too much Rage stuff out there :loco:

Fangface said:
I forgot to mention their live records, EPs, re-recordings and so on, there's just too much Rage stuff out there :loco:
That's fine, Fang, thanks for NOT mentioning. You gave me enough to think about with the rundown you already did!

I think I'll sample one of their 90s albums next. And of course, XIII. I love metal with full symphonies! This sounds right up my alley.

Thanks, Fang! Appreciate you taking the time to type all that out!

NP: Sword - Metalized