In Order, Who are you looking forward to see the most?

Zod, is that because you consider most of our taste the epitome of generic?

~Brian~

Probably because generic power metal comes off better live when a band can give a solid performance. Album wise, it's kind of boring.
Iron Savior is probably the band I least care about this weekend and will likely be meal time for me as I don't want to miss any other bands Friday night.

~Brian~

Not for anything, but some people on the forum come to me and say they like Gamma Ray, Freedom Call and Iron Savior, and refuse admitting these bands are generic.

Zod likes the most non-generic bands there are, such as Pain of Salvation. :lol:

Not for anything, but some people on the forum come to me and say they like Gamma Ray, Freedom Call and Iron Savior, and refuse admitting these bands are generic.

Zod likes the most non-generic bands there are, such as Pain of Salvation. :lol:

Not to mention that it's been said the forum is a very vocal minority when it comes to the tastes of the PP attendees. The general attendee probably prefers stuff like Iron Savior over Riverside while it's usually the opposite here. Only on occasion does the forum represent the festival (*cough*VirginSteele*cough*).

:)
Probably because generic power metal comes off better live when a band can give a solid performance. Album wise, it's kind of boring.
Iron Savior is probably the band I least care about this weekend and will likely be meal time for me as I don't want to miss any other bands Friday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeofthorns

~Brian~

Zod likes the most non-generic bands there are, such as Pain of Salvation.

Zod probably knows I'm just bustin' his balls a little. :)

~Brian~

Iron Savior may be "generic power metal", but you have to give it to them for being the band that perfected "generic power metal" and really took it to another level. No, they're not very progressive in the genre but they do what they do and they're one of the best bands doing it. I think thats the attraction.

JOP
Iced Earth
Iron Savior
Amorphis
Spheric Universe Experience
Pathosray
Elvenking
Andromeda
Mustasch
--- (below this line indicates the sets I might skip)
Riverside
Rob Rock
Saint Deamon

Hey now, Freedom Call picked up the progressive flag that DT dropped after I&Ws...

LOL. Jbrille nailed it.
Exactly.
There's definitely something to this. People don't like to think of what they enjoy as being generic. This is especially true of those of us who are already listening to a genre out of the mainstream. However, with any one genre or sub-genre, you have the following....

1. The originators... two or three elite bands, upon whose shoulder the genre or sub-genre was built. For Power Metal, this would be bands like Maiden, Dio, Helloween, etc.
2. The second generation... bands who take what the originators did and add their own flavor to it. In this grouping, I would put bands like Angra or Blind Guardian.
3. The standard-bearers... a small handful, who follow the original recipe to a tee, but with outstanding songwriting. In this group, I would place bands like Iced Earth and Gamma Ray.
4. Everyone else.

In the end, I believe we're debating whether Iron Savior belongs in the third or the fourth grouping.

:)Zod probably knows I'm just bustin' his balls a little. :)
Absolutely.

Zod

Iced Earth
JOP - I guess I live under a rock as I have never seen the band and am a huge Oliva fan
Pathosray
Iron Savior
Spheric Universe
Mustasch
Amorphis
The rest...

And of course The Hellish Rock Tour...

I also think i will come away a bigger fan of all the others. I just haven't given them much of a listen yet...

1.Helloween
2.Iced Earth
3.Gamma Ray
4.Riverside
5.Iron Savior
6.Manticora
7.Amorphis
8.Elvenking
9.Jon Oliva's Pain (this low only because I am not thrilled with the new cd and I fear I will hear more of it and less Savatage)
10.Rob Rock
11.Mustasch
12.Andromeda
13.Pathosray
14.Saint Deamon
15.SUE

Amorphis
Rob Rock
Spheric Universe
Helloween
Manticora
Jon Oliva
Pathosray
Iced Earth
Riverside (lower only because I will see them earlier)
Gamma Ray
Adromeda
Elven King
Saint Deamon
Iron Savior
Mustasch

I bought my ticket to see these six bands, in order of my interest:

Riverside
Andromeda
Iced Earth
Amorphis
Pathosray

The other six I'm not enamored with, but I'll give them a fair hearing.

Elvenking

I'm shocked!

For me...

Amorphis
[big gap]

Elvenking
Iced Earth
Mustasche (if their other CDs are as good as the one I have)
Riverside

[big gap II]

The rest of Fri
The rest of Sat

Except for Mustasche and IE, I see Friday as vastly superior to Sat. That opinion may be colored by Amorphis/Elvenking fanboy-dom and the loss of Volbeat... but it's a strong feeling. I think I'm going to go crazy Thurs/Fri and then rest up Sat.

Let's see who you guys are looking forward to see the most at PPIX, in order.
Notice that I only included the bands from Fri. and Sat.

Here's mine:

Riverside
Iced Earth
Amorphis
Elvenking
Jon Oliva's Pain
Andromeda
Pathosray
Here's mine:
1.Iron Savior
2.Iced Earth
3.Rob Rock
4.Jon Oliva's Pain
5.Amorphis
All the rest will be great to see, too.:headbang:

Iron Savior may be "generic power metal", but you have to give it to them for being the band that perfected "generic power metal" and really took it to another level. No, they're not very progressive in the genre but they do what they do and they're one of the best bands doing it. I think thats the attraction.
Damn right! I also love their whole conceptual theme! One of my all-time favorite bands, any genre!:headbang::kickass::worship:

I can't wait to see them all so it's nearly impossible to rank them.

Plus, my top five keeps changing. Right now, it's:

1. Mustasch (their CDs have become my favorites!)
2. Amorphis
3. Iced Earth
4. Elvenking
5. Iron Savior

When I do interviews, I totally immerse in the music, listening to nothing but each band's CDs (usually their entire catalog) for a couple of weeks at a time, one after another from the first to the most recent.

The band that has surprised me the most -- partly because it came out of left field -- is Mustasch. Their riffs (especially on Rat Safari) are ungodly cool. I'll be listening to Mustasch long after ProgPower USA IX is a dim, distant, and fond memory.

All other bands on the roster are equally good to me. So the rest of the line-up would be:

6. JonOliva'sPainPathosrayRobRockAndromedaRiversideSaintDeamonSphericUniverseExperience

Iron Savior
Rob Rock
Mustasch
Elvenking
Amorphis (if they don't growl too much, and I've heard enough great non-growling stuff from them to hope)
Iced Earth
Andromeda
Pathosray
Saint Deamon
Riverside
Jon Oliva's Pain