What to do when....

Well there are other ways of being closed minded while still listening to something, like if someone's a big nu metal fan and has a bias against lead guitar for example, he'll listen to a song and decide he doesn't like it because of the fact that it has a solo. Not based on whether the solo is good or not, not based on whether he even listened to it, but as soon as the first few notes come out he's already gone. Another one is death metal/black metal vocals, as soon as they hear something like that some of them for example just say "Oh I don't like all of that stuff you can't even hear anything of what's going on, etc" yet the person has little to no actual experience in that area of listening. Fact is, some people just have stupid bias...as soon as they hear some element or something they've made up in their mind that they hate beforehand (because of little or misleading experience they may have had with whatever it is), they become all flustered and squirmy like a little girl. So there are people who still "give things a chance" but remain closed minded.

Orion Crystal Ice said:
Well there are other ways of being closed minded while still listening to something, like if someone's a big nu metal fan and has a bias against lead guitar for example, he'll listen to a song and decide he doesn't like it because of the fact that it has a solo. Not based on whether the solo is good or not, not based on whether he even listened to it, but as soon as the first few notes come out he's already gone. Another one is death metal/black metal vocals, as soon as they hear something like that some of them for example just say "Oh I don't like all of that stuff you can't even hear anything of what's going on, etc" yet the person has little to no actual experience in that area of listening. Fact is, some people just have stupid bias...as soon as they hear some element or something they've made up in their mind that they hate beforehand (because of little or misleading experience they may have had with whatever it is), they become all flustered and squirmy like a little girl. So there are people who still "give things a chance" but remain closed minded.

I totally agree.

Yeah, exactly. It's also like how some people will refuse to listen to instrumental songs for the simple fact it doesn't contain any lyrics. There is also some music out there that isn't catchy and takes more than one listen to appreciate it. Catchy isn't exactly a good thing at times anyway. And that's why you get some people who listen to one song/band once, and just because they're not satisfied with it right away, they turn around and never make another attempt to give it another try.

Okay, here's the deal. I just read the first post. As I scrolled down I see there is a lot of long posts...maybe an argument? I'm not going to look so that I can have some mystery in my life. But in response to the first post, if anyone was to laugh at Winds I would cap their ass right there.

[\
Criticism is one thing, but incessant, unjustified laughter.... Maybe I'm over reacting.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you're overreating at all, I can't stand how people ignorantly criticise my musical tastes, they think extreme metal is just a bunch of talentess dumbasses. THen they call me narrow minded, seeming to forget that i also listen to jazz, classical, opera, ambient, 70's prog, etc. I don't expect everyone to like extreme metal as it is a genre meant for the few, not the many. Its annoying when they just ignorantly criticise without having so much as a clue what they're talking about. I'm sick of feeling like i have to justify my tastes to people.

anyway , I had a smiliair experience driving a friend home, and he said he wanted to listen to music so he just popped in a random tape which just happened to be Esoteric's Pernicious Enigma
sgrin.gif
. After about 10 minutes he was like 'man, this is enough'. I enjoyed that very much
sgrin.gif

Eh, fuck 'em. I only know a few people who like what I listen to. If someone's in the car and I'm driving, they get to hear it. If they don't like it, then oh well. I've gotten some weird reactions out of people who have heard it but I listen to it because I like it and if they end up liking something I'm playing, more power to 'em.

Incendiare said:
Yeah, exactly. It's also like how some people will refuse to listen to instrumental songs for the simple fact it doesn't contain any lyrics. There is also some music out there that isn't catchy and takes more than one listen to appreciate it. Catchy isn't exactly a good thing at times anyway. And that's why you get some people who listen to one song/band once, and just because they're not satisfied with it right away, they turn around and never make another attempt to give it another try.

That's true..... Yngwie didn't sell forty trillion copies of the S/T "Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force" album because of the two songs that do have lyrics.

As far as being catchy, once in a blue moon I'll dig a new song that's on rock radio that has the cool "hook" in it but usually music like that gets old after six or eight plays to me, because it lacks the substance and intricacies I get in metal music. Of course there are a couple of notable exceptions, but they are few and far between.
The best bands to me are ones that can give you "the hook" that seperates that song from song X by band X, yet give you plenty of interesting stuff to listen to after the said "hook" has worn off. Of course, bands that mix the catchy choruses with interesting music are often named Vanden Plas. >:p~
As far as the bands that don't have those hooks, I consider them a "challenging listen." Sometimes they pan out for me and sometimes they don't. Of course what is catchy to me and to someone else might be different, but I try to give them a fair shake, especially since it's a waste of fifteen bucks if I don't like it.

Bryant

Psychonaut said:
Eh, fuck 'em. I only know a few people who like what I listen to. If someone's in the car and I'm driving, they get to hear it. If they don't like it, then oh well. I've gotten some weird reactions out of people who have heard it but I listen to it because I like it and if they end up liking something I'm playing, more power to 'em.
Bingo. Most of my friends don't listen to what I do, but that doesn't mean they don't hear it when they drive with me.

MY truck, MY radio, MY music. End of story.

For a 2 hour dirve to San Diego, (i had to take 2 class mates with me) all i played was abigor and they hated it, but i could care less. I wanted to see them suffer.

Winds great band....Never bring along with you if you going with other people. If they are metal heads bring a Nile CD, COB, Kalmah, In Flames, Dissection (big time), brutal bands nothing Power Metalish. Bring brutal death and black :p....That should impress them.....As for Immortal being laughable....New CD is like that there old stuff :p

Orion Crystal Ice said:
Another one is death metal/black metal vocals, as soon as they hear something like that some of them for example just say "Oh I don't like all of that stuff you can't even hear anything of what's going on, etc" yet the person has little to no actual experience in that area of listening. Fact is, some people just have stupid bias...as soon as they hear some element or something they've made up in their mind that they hate beforehand (because of little or misleading experience they may have had with whatever it is), they become all flustered and squirmy like a little girl. So there are people who still "give things a chance" but remain closed minded.
Almost all the time when I'm driving with a friend of mine I pop in a tape and it's usually some 60's or 70's music and he always says "Don't you have some black metal?" and plays a blast beat on his knees. Sometimes I do have some black metal and everytime I play some black metal for him he says "Urgh, the vocal sucks. This is crap!". I don't he's closeminded for that, he just thinks the vocal ruins it all! I've gotten used to even Vargs screamy crap vocals on the old Burzum stuff, but there are still other songs that I think gets ruined by some element and sometimes it's the vocal. I can't really come up with an example right now, but I remember hearing some song and the singer ruins it with his extremely out of tune vocal. Oh yeah, I have Fates Warnings cd "Disconnected" and although it's alright I thought to myself "Goddamn, how can you make something so 80's in the year 2000" because of his crap vocal! James LaBrie ruins it a bit on Dream Theater's "Images & words" with his crap vocal as well. Another example is Nancy Sinatra's terrible out of tune vocal on "Some velvet morning" with Lee Hazlewood (although Lee is my biggest idol). Lee's part is awesome, but Nancy has such an awful vocal, that even though it's a great song, it could have been much better. I wish Lee would have made those two albums with Suzi Jane Hokom instead as she has an awesome voice on the album she did with Virgil Warner! Suzi Jane & Virgil also recorded two tracks together that Lee & Nancy did and they're much, much better. It also has something to do with the arrangement (which is quite different), but surely also has something to do with Nancy's vocal. She just ruins it a bit for me and there's really nothing I can do about it. I can't trick myself into liking something that I don't really like.