What was it like when you were new...

This embarrasing, but ever since I hear Hatebreed (not metal) I started wanting heavier shit. Unfortunatly I first got into Slipknot, Mudvayne and then progressed into Trivium and As I Lay Dying. After this I heard Soilwork and got into all the Melodic Death shit. I still wanted heavier and I started listening to grindcore death gore shit such as Lord Gore. And probably like 3 months back I got into Black Metal like Darkthrone. Now I just look for bands that are techinical and are amazing musicians, such Cryptopsy, Athiest.

Hmm much the same as Deathsweatembrace...

It was very exciting times, metal was in full swing in the 80's. Without the internet it was a case of going to the only metalstore in the city regularly (minimum of once a week) and spending hours there pouring over every fucking record in the racks. I was a total metal maniac, metal came before drugs or alcohol, women and work - it was a total lifestyle. Everything was secondary to metal in my eyes.

Oh and Devourment are one of the better death metal bands I had heard back in the day, for some reason they made me think of some psycho sitting in a basement under a wobbly lightglobe...

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
^I bet you couldn't ride an endo and then go into a frame spin like I could when I was 10.
Nope, actually the BMX part wasnt me but a bike was the main form of transportation. I also had a skateboard but i never bothered doing anything particularly tricky except falling off and breaking my wrist, heh.

Well, time for the long version.

First, I was a little kid. I listened to pop just like everyone else, but I had two advantages. One, my dad and older sister liked good music, and my older sister dissed the hell out of my music tastes. So, I was also wierd because I was one of the only guys to like the backstreet boys. At that early age, I saw right through the "cool" aura of hip-hop, which all the guys listened to. So, I was already a rebel. Fast forward to eighth grade. My new friend who had liked backstreet boys and introduced my to matchbox 120 loved this new band called linkin park. So, I listened and loved. And SOAD. those two were the cool bands in my group of friends. I listened to nothing but linkin park and soad forever. And then, in ninth grade, I bagan to realize that linkin park sucked. I now listened to moby, collective soul, and NIN. Especially NIN. And then Radiohead. NIN became my anti nu-metal. My dad showed it to me one day, because I showed him Chop suey by SOAD and he saud that it sucked, and played Mr suicide, which demolished linkin park. I got into many passionate debates with my friend. And then, a miracle struck. I lost my entire CD collection. All of a sudden, I could never again revert back to my crap, and there it was. I burned all the playlists off of my dads computer, and bought Dark side of the moon on a whim, thus beginning my love affair with pink floyd. Then I got into genesis and then yes. Finally, I got into king crimson. King crimson owns hardcore, and is still my favorite band. All the seventies prog kept me occupied for a year. THen, I listened to a death metel radio station just to hear what it sounded like, and I was impressed. So, I went to a record store, and picked up the sound of perseverence by death, because they were called death.

i got into metal the easy way...headbangers ball before the emo invasion...it was 3 or 4 years ago and i was watching tv and i switched over to mtv to see some poprock i liked at the time but HB was on and Drowning Pool (who i still don't mind because they were my gateway) came on and then Hatebreed (though they aren't metal) and i changed the channel at As I Lay Dying then i got into Metallica (and at one point i was a slipknot and linkin park fan but luckily that ended), learned some guitar riffs, and with the help of my friend...who in here is called MetalNoob...i learned some great metal bands, Arcturus, Catamenia, Cannibal Corpse, Dark Tranquility, Strapping Young Lad, Into Eternity, Opeth, Death, Scar Symmetry etc. i now settle into progressive metal and thrash, death metal, and melodic because Soilwork is my favorite band of all-time this is a true Fags (Pop) to Riches (Metal) story

I learned to love metal through Slayer. And I loved Nirvana, then went on Forums and found out they're gay grunge. So I went on, downloading stuff I found sick bands like Nile, which I loved, Nasum, which I loved, Napalm Death which I LOVE, Death, Kreator, Exodus, Dimmu Borgir (which I don't like now), Old Man's Child, Emperor etc.

It was fun becoming a tr00 metalhead.

Haha.. I started off on all zee nu metal bands :cool: korn, slipknot , stone sour etc etc.

then after a while, i started listening to teh metalcore. and i realised, feck, nu metal is talentless m8. the riffs are repitive and the lyrics suck.

Metalcore began to bore me, and i started to seek darker lyrics. Along came dimmu borgir, which sparked my love for black metal.

And very recently ( this week ) i am in love with da deff metal aswell now. Thanks to BlackSeedsOnVirginSoil, and my new found love for Nile and behemoth.

Unwanted-Soul said:
Haha.. I started off on all zee nu metal bands :cool: korn, slipknot , stone sour etc etc.

then after a while, i started listening to teh metalcore. and i realised, feck, nu metal is talentless m8. the riffs are repitive and the lyrics suck.

Metalcore began to bore me, and i started to seek darker lyrics. Along came dimmu borgir, which sparked my love for black metal.

And very recently ( this week ) i am in love with da deff metal aswell now. Thanks to BlackSeedsOnVirginSoil, and my new found love for Nile and behemoth.

Dimmu Borgir also got me into black metal but they seem to get bashed alot on here... I still like their style of music, but there are maaaaaaaany more black metal bands.... Death metal is also a wondrous genre.. try out some otha bayands like death, skinless, decapitated, amon amarth, dark angel, nevermore, cephalic carnage, exumed ...blah blah blah.. haha ( just as well to go to metal archives):)

Holly.R.Wells said:
Dimmu Borgir also got me into black metal but they seem to get bashed alot on here... I still like their style of music, but there are maaaaaaaany more black metal bands.... Death metal is also a wondrous genre.. try out some otha bayands like death, skinless, decapitated, amon amarth, dark angel, nevermore, cephalic carnage, exumed ...blah blah blah.. haha ( just as well to go to metal archives):)

eugh, Dark Angel and Cephalic Carnage are awful. Nevermore aren't death. Also, this is nit picking but Exhumed is spelt wrong.