What's so special about Opeth?

That UltraBoris guy seems to have a really close-minded view of what he think's good metal is...and what he want's "his" metal to sound like, which we can all pretty much guess what that is...that probably goes for the rest of that lot over at that forum giving the negative remarks about Opeth.

Personally, I'm brand new to Opeth, but I like them so much, I already have most of their albums and the DVD... and while I'm not a real big fan of the cookie monster vocals, I've grown to where I kinda like Mikaels okay...I'm finding it more palatable with each listen. Also I'm not a heavy listener to Metal per se..I like all kinds of music that sounds good to me...but one thing most of my music has in it, is good guitar playing and good guitar tone...Being and amatuer guitarist myself and a GAS-aholic, the thing that first attracted me to Opeth was their clean electric playing and tone...I love clean electrc tones alot...esp on rhythm parts...they have a richness and complexity to them that is a nice change from the distorted tones..and I also really like the hauntingly beautiful melodies they come up with and the intricate finger picked melodies that they use alot. Their lead playing is about perfect to me as well..I personally hate shreadfest solos...most of the time it just sounds like a clusterfuck of shit....give me David Gilmour over Yngwie any day of the week. Johnny A. has said that "the space between the notes is music too" or something like that...Johnny's is my favorite guitarist right now.
I also think Mikael really has a good clean voice...he could cover ABBA if he wanted to...:D.....and after watching the DVD I was really impressed with Peter's playing..
Anyway, It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as I like Opeth then I can't be too bothered by others opinions of them.

and while I'm not a real big fan of the cookie monster vocals, I've grown to where I kinda like Mikaels okay...I'm finding it more palatable with each listen.

although i am glad that you're growing to like Mike's growl vocals, they're not cookie monster vox, thats fireball ministry (at least thats how the singer sounded oct 2005) he sounded exactly like cookie monster... me nd phil kinda laughed