What's the last CD you listened to?

Erik said:
hah but you should be able to question your beliefs when someone makes a good case why you might be wrong

you seem to directly contradict your other statement here, hinting that you were partially speaking in jest when you said you thought you were always right.

if you've followed my various tirades in RC and GMD threads, you'd be well aware that i never think my opinions or beliefs have any sort of universal tenability. they work for me, and that's all i require.​

80% of everything i say on the forums are outright lies anyway, but this much is true: supporting graveland & 100 other nsbm bands while refusing to buy sigrblot (incidentally, much better than any recent graveland and one of 2003's very best albums) just because they have broken concrete phalluses on the cover = gay & lying

whelp, time for ale

yeah but you're ignoring the personal sentiment behind gugs' reasoning. sigrblot overtly (in their lyrics, interviews and imagery, etc.) condemn the United States, while with the NS bands it seems to be more of a byproduct of their ideologies of cultural preservation.

edit: i see by your ale comment that you're probably not interested in pursuing this further, which is fine with me. as usual, my argumentative moods come up as a mechanism to distract me from my homework, so i'll just get back to that.

ale would be fun too though

it hardly fucking matters though? it's a "byproduct of their ideologies" in sigrblot's case too, it's just that they chose to emphasise it a bit more than some other bands. for the record, none of the LYRICS on the album are about america or any shit like that -- it's the cover art alone that triggers a knee jerk "god bless america" reaction. i'd bet any amount that mark would have been all over the album if it had another cover art, say some tired fucking pic of a warrior with a sword in a god damn forest. it's just fucking silly.

Erik said:
it hardly fucking matters though? it's a "byproduct of their ideologies" in sigrblot's case too, it's just that they chose to emphasise it a bit more than some other bands. for the record, none of the LYRICS on the album are about america or any shit like that -- it's the cover art alone that triggers a knee jerk "god bless america" reaction. i'd bet any amount that mark would have been all over the album if it had another cover art, say some tired fucking pic of a warrior with a sword in a god damn forest. it's just fucking silly.

but it's NOT just that, you keep ignoring that part

they've been very OUTSPOKEN about the anti-American aspects they believe in...other NS bands or whatever have not, it's that simple

Erik said:

if cover art and interviews represent the 'line' a band must cross in order for gugs not to buy them, who are you to criticize that? (an oversimplification, but what can ya do?)

i'm saying your PERSONAL SENTIMENT is not RATIONAL

if we can agree that this is the case then that's good enough for me

you're making the decision to not support sigrblot purely because of your emotional reaction to a god damn picture that represents something you can not agree with, never mind the fact that half of the bands you already listen to WOULD

Demilich said:
if cover art and interviews represent the 'line' a band must cross in order for gugs not to buy them, who are you to criticize that? (an oversimplification, but what can ya do?)
nothing -- i'm just saying that he's being an irrational hypocrite. that's fine by me, almost everyone is anyway

Erik said:
i'm saying your PERSONAL SENTIMENT is not RATIONAL

if we can agree that this is the case then that's good enough for me

you're making the decision to not support sigrblot purely because of your emotional reaction to a god damn picture that represents something you can not agree with, never mind the fact that half of the bands you already listen to WOULD

i fail to see how YOU can decide if MY personal sentiment is rational or not, but hey, whatever floats your boat

:kickass:

I guess I'll just take this chance to say that I'd never refuse to buy an album over differences in ideology. Sure, I'm supporting neo-nazis sometimes, and possibly far worse, but what does that really mean? Any of the other artists you listen to -- say, for example, ones who kept their political sentiments to themselves -- COULD bloody well sympathize with all the shit you hate. secondly, often enough in life you have no way of knowing who you're inadvertently supporting with your money (i.e. indirectly suppoting arab gov'ts with questionable ties to terrorism by buying gas). so, in effect, i'd buy an album even if the cover art was some guy banging my sister while burning a canadian flag and decapitating Tony Iommi. just doesn't matter. it's music, and i'll buy it if i like it.

oh man i can't believe i've been doing this whole argument while wearing a metallica "don't tread on me" t-shirt

christ im such a hypocrite :erk: