What's your album of the year?

*Divinity - The Singularity
This surprised the hell out of me. I expected it to be good, but not this good. Amazing music and very good mix.

*Katatonia - Night is the New Day
Beautiful music. Really good stuff.

*Porcupine Tree - The Incident
I love this band.

*The Black Dahlia Murder - Deflorate
Awesome mix. Never really cared about this band before, but Ryan Knight joining the band has made a huge improvement. There is some awesome guitar playing on this!

*August Burns Red - Constellations
I used to hate this band, but this is a really good album. They've become much less of a cliche metalcore breakdown band and stepped up their songwriting and playing abilities to another level.

*Between The Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect
They used to be my favorite band back when Alaska came out. I don't listen to them nearly as much as I used to, but they still make great music. The mix is still too muffled and dull sounding compared to the kind of modern metal production I prefer, but I'd say it's their best sounding album overall. The music is pretty good as well. The drumming especially has been stepped up. Not my favorite album by them, but it's still BTBAM, and anytime they release a cd, they will most likely be ending up on my best of the year list.

*Animals As Leaders - Self-titled
I don't really like the mix, and the guitar tone is pretty bad, but the music is awesome. Great guitar playing.

*Exivious - Self-titled
Awesome playing and a really cool, natural sounding mix that fits the music well.

*Despised Icon - Day of Mourning
Heavy as fuck and great mix and production by Yannick. Guitars not reamped by Sneap this time, but still sound great!

*Mastodon - Crack the Sky
Wasn't super into the band before, but this one went more in a psychedelic/prog/classic rock sort of direction and ended up being pretty cool.

*Architects - Hollow Crown
Really pissed off sounding and fairly good mix.

*Born of Osiris - A Higher Place
Not as good as I was hoping for, but there's some cool music on here. A few really cool melodies... but song writing and riffs could be more memorable.

*Behemoth - Evangelion
Haven't listened to much of this yet, but what I heard was pretty damn cool. Mix sounded good.

*Scale the Summit - Carving Desert Canyons
Really cool instrumental prog rock cd. Very Dream Theater-ish without the annoying vocals.

Somehow I missed that Thrice released a new album called Beggars. I will have to check that out ASAP, because Thrice is a fucking great band. I love that ambient rock stuff like Thrice - Vheissu and Circa Survive - On Letting Go.

And I haven't heard The Echo Verses by The Arusha Accord or any of the new Devin Townsend stuff yet, but I'd like to.

Probably forgetting some things, but whatever. haha

I think The Great Misdirect's production was fucking great to be honest. I just fucking love that saturated to fuck guitar sound. All too often it seems some bands are afraid to use enough gain and it winds up sounding undergained to me personally, so I just love it when a band just says "Fuck the 'use less gain crowd', we'll use the gain levels we want with our amps" and the palm mutes just sound glorious and fat. Maybe the tone lacks a little articulation and clarity compared to lesser gained tones, but I'd take a more saturated tone and sacrifice a tiny bit of clarity and articulation any day of the day:kickass:

Carving Desert Canyons was another absolute beast of a record. Excellent musicianship without ever sounding pretentious or wanky.

Fuck I forgot about JFAC- Ruination.... Not anything off the wall great, but a good album none the less.

Delain - April Rain
Katatonia - Night Is the New Day
Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue
Mastodon - Crack The Skye

Slightly.

Production is still very good on it though.

I checked their myspace, and it does indeed seem slightly less boring. I think the vocalist noticed he should scream a bit more to make things a tad more interesting.

Could imagine myself picking it up just for the production, too.

I liked Genesis, because it wasn't in the least bit -core (well, except for almost every song having like a one-bar max intro before the vox and verse 1 came in :loco: ) Been meaning to check out Ruination

There have been so many good commercial and indie albums this year, that it's impossible for me to even attempt to say which one out of the lot would get this distinction from me.

My vote is - "all of the ones I liked". ;)

no particular order:

Napalm Death - Time waits for No Slave

Hits the spot for catchy riffage and grindy simple death, consistent.

Daath - The Concealers

Another pretty 'basic' but catchy album yet not too easily categorized, great guitar work too.

Animals as Leaders - S/T

3 of my faves this year are instrumental, some genius guitar work and interesting genre blending here.

Augury - Fragmentary Evidence

Doesn't quite edge out the debut for me but awesome album, unique style and great musicians.

Exivious - Exivious

Another instrumental, along the lines of Cynic but I liked it more then the new one, more focused on the fusion technical side of things.

Katatonia - Night is the New Day

Another great album from these guys, lots of dynamics even amongst the doom. Drew me in more then the last album although that was also excellent.

Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest

A return to the epic sound that made Annihilation such a great album, along with some more variation in the tempo to keep things interesting.

Revocation - Existence is Futile

Deathy thrash with some tech leanings, reminds me of a modern version of Coroner with a bit of Voivod at times, excellent newish band.

Dysrhytmia - Psychic Maps

Yet another instrumental, this one is more hard rock but some very interesting ideas and progressions, with a dirty and natural production that suits the music perfectly.

The Red Chord - Fed Through The Teeth Machine

Killer riffs and songwriting make this stand out from the pack for me, technical and brutal but still dynamic enough to remain listenable for the entire album.

Other good ones:
Dream Theater, Bloodbath, Obscura, the Faceless, Gorod, Lost Soul, AIC, Behemoth, Hypocrisy, Redemption, BTBAM, Chimaira.

Dissapointments:
Devin Townsend, 3.

Exivious - Exivious

Another instrumental, along the lines of Cynic but I liked it more then the new one, more focused on the fusion technical side of things.

Michel is probably gonna be the next DrDoom singer.. songs he did as audition for us are all kinds of awesome!!

And beast of an album indeed, i love it to death myself..