When Destroyer 666 meets Primordial....

are you interested in the pending team up?

• Total voters

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
So based on the discussion in the other thread yesterday, I spent some time listening to Destroyer 666 and picking out songs which I think sound similar to Primordial (in terms of feeling: sweeping, epic, tragic, chord progression and musical landscape).

Of course, there is also a ton of Bathory in D666. If I was ever gonna put any 'science' into it, I'd say there's about a quart Primordial, a quart (or more)Bathory, and the rest all very D666.

So for all intents and purposes, D666, Primordial, and pre-viking Bathory become an excellent triarchy of artists. Can you imagine a live concert that could have featured all three?

If I were a betting man, perhaps when Warslut and Nemtheanga partner up, their ouput would be similar to the following list of songs, except with Alan's vocals. Queue these songs up and try to imagine Alan singing them...

Terror Abraxas
"Trialed by Fire", track 3
"Prometheus", track 5

Cold Steel...For an Iron Age
"Cold Steel...", track 3
"The Calling", track 6
"Witch Hunter", track 8 (maybe)

Unchain the Wolves
"Tyranny", track 4
"Onward to Arktoga", track 8

Phoenix Rising
"The Last Revelation", track 2
"I am the Wargod", track 4 (maybe, way too fast probably, but fuck me, there's moments of celtic greatness going on there with that tremelo picking, tell me the recurring riff at 1:55 - 2:06 doesn't sound like U2 :tickled: )

and of course...."The Birth of Tragedy". Now for this one, you have to try and phase out the verse drumming when listening and focus only on the rhythm riff section...it's very cool if you imagine Simon O'Laoghaire's drumming style instead.

So anyway, listen to those songs and perhaps you'll have the "a ha!" moment and it could wet your appetite for things to come maybe if these two guys ever write something together!?!!!

@Greg -- I know you're not too much into D666 but I have a feeling that these songs in particular might be more to your liking in their nature, and you could even just create a playlist of just these songs and give D666 another try from that angle.

:kickass:

@Greg -- I know you're not too much into D666 but I have a feeling that these songs in particular might be more to your liking in their nature, and you could even just create a playlist of just these songs and give D666 another try from that angle.
D666 isn't bad, just overrated by this forum. I'd give Phoenix Rising a 7/10 and rising.

Zod

D666 isn't bad, just overrated by this forum. I'd give Phoenix Rising a 7/10 and rising.

Zod
That's pretty good considering at least Unchain the Wolves is even better (Being their best), Cold Steel at least on par with it and Terror Abraxas between those and Unchain the Wolves... Plus I'd add at east 1 or 2 to that score on PR

Also, Primordial have fast hell motherfuckers as well, they just don't always feel as fast because it's more of a suck you in and drag you down-thing than a run over with panzer-thing

EDIT: If you don't hellbang and drink beer to this fine song called Unchain the Wolves you should leave metal for all eternity.

I almost bought a Primordial album yesterday, but I ended up snagging a Protector live disc instead. I get the feeling I should go back and nab that Primordial, cause any band getting comparisons to D666 wins points in my book.

Definately get it. Which one is it?

Protector rules, but if you already have one of the I Hate discs I'd definately prioritize any Primordial over a live album... Or just get both.

I dunno, they had three or four albums and I was probaby just gonna snag the cheapest. Which one should I get?

Spirit the Earth Aflame is where I started and I think it still has the position of my personal favourite to this very day, but any would work really... After Spirit I'd recommend Storm Before Calm or A Journey's End I think.

I know. I was surprised as well. I have Cold Steel, Terror Abraxas and Phoenix Rising on my iPod. I know I use to have this, but I guess I deleted it? Hmmm...

Listening now... thanks.

Zod

Yeah, I'm not sure if you'll like "Unchain the Wolves" as much as the 7 or 8 I listed in the first post. I just think they might be more to your liking, especially tracks like "Cold Steel..." and "The Calling".

Do people know the songs I listed cold, or would you folks need to queue them up? Give 'em a spin and tell me whether I'm crazy. If the Warlsut/Nemtheanga collaboration churns out songs like those, I think we're looking at a WINNER!

Oh man... "Unchain the Wolves"... What a monster of an album! I remember having some trouble at first, putting the pieces together. The black metal production, the vocals, the thrashy essence of the whole thing, it just didn't seem to click together properly. but once it did... What a revelation!

**Actually Greg - he gave you the song "Genesis to Genocide" at 189 kbps. I was curious to see what quality the rip was.

Here's the song "Unchain the Wolves" ripped at 320 kbps:

http://download.yousendit.com/AF2A4BF9506A97A1

But JK may be right in terms of the playlist to your liking.

Nice of you, but do you really think it makes a difference? I won't really debate this here, but this album in my opinion sounds just as good at ~192kbps, as does most albums through most sound systems

JayK: What we want is something that's neither Primordial nor D666, but at least equally good yet completely (or at least quite a bit, while maintaining the metal as fvk stuff) different... Not either band A or band B or bands A and B in a mixer, right? Because we already have A and B... And you pobably have a mixer.. so that would be unnecessary.

JayK: What we want is something that's neither Primordial nor D666, but at least equally good yet completely (or at least quite a bit, while maintaining the metal as fvk stuff) different... Not either band A or band B or bands A and B in a mixer, right? Because we already have A and B... And you pobably have a mixer.. so that would be unnecessary.

Yep, that's entirely possible! Something new and creative would be outstanding. I guess I've gone with the Demons & Wizards idea which ended up being Hansi Kursch singing his normal style over typical Iced Earth riffs (for the most part).

I suppose if it ended up being Alan singing vocals over D666 songs resembling those I listed in post #1, that wouldn't be so bad either! :headbang: