Where did you meet your significant other?

Evil_Legend

Mar 24, 2005
It's always intriguing to me how other people hook up. It seems to me that meeting someone online is pretty common these days. The last time that I hooked up with a chick was last summer when I met her at my apartment complex pool. I recently got re-aquainted with a girl from my past (about 10 years ago) this past weekend when I ran out of beer at 1:00 a.m. and decided to go to the bar down the road. It was kinda weird, cause I looked right at her when I first walked in and never thought nothing of it. Then later on she came up to me and re-introduced herself to me and I instantly remembered her. She said that she's in the process of getting a divorce, so I asked if she wanted to hang out. Hahahahaha.. whadda move!. :D

Frankfurt, Germany June 1997. We were on the same work assignment - she from Phili, I from London. A year later, I moved to the US. Married in '99. First kid '02, second kid '04.

Last several broads I've dated:

-college, we knew each other in high school even though we never talked, she picked me out of a crowd and started talking to me, captivating me with her beautiful green (colored contact lens) eyes. I was sorta disappointed after a month of dating when I found out they weren't real, but stayed with her for over 3 years anyhow. :D

-close friend of mine for many many years, somehow I convinced her to get naked for me. Shortlived, would've ended up burying her in the backyard methinks, going to her wedding on Saturday. This'll be the second wedding I've been to where I've seen the bride nekkid. :loco:

-ex-girlfriend from many years back, she works with a friend of mine and he gave her my number.

-met online, went out once, meh.

-met online, met her in person last Friday, she's very cool, we've been talking a lot, and I hope something develops.

I've never been into the "go to a bar and pick up chicks" thing, I'm not after strictly carnal bullshit so I just let shit happen by chance. Supermarket, work, wandering around the desert, whatever.

One Inch Man said:
I've never been into the "go to a bar and pick up chicks" thing, I'm not after strictly carnal bullshit so I just let shit happen by chance. Supermarket, work, wandering around the desert, whatever.

I'm really not looking at the bar either. It just happened that way. If she never re-introduced herself to me. I would have never talked to her. I was there for beer! I would definitely date a girl I meet at a bar, but I don't go in there with the intention of picking up a chick.

Jay Keeley: I didn't know you were a posh bloke. ;) British accents rule!

Evil_Legend said:
I would definitely date a girl I meet at a bar, but I don't go in there with the intention of picking up a chick.
Yeah, I'll agree with that. I never go out with the intention of finding someone. I probably should, I'd definitely get laid a lot more often. Ah fuckit. :Spin:

So I turned 26 about a month ago, this was the email I got from momz:
Let's see--as far as your parents go, your dad met his wife-to-be when he was 26 and your mom became pregnant with you when she was 26. Hey, don't say I didn't warn you! :)
So far I've met a chick that I think I really dig, it's too early to tell but she's already bought me beer and smokes, and GOD DAMN knows how to swing them hips..... ugnnhhgh.

JayKeeley said:
Chicks come along when you least expect it. It's true.

This has been true for me also. The thing about girls is that they need to feel comfortable before they open up. That's why it's hard to warm up to a chick if you meet her in a bar or somewhere casual. It's damn hard to warm up to a girl if you just meet her and you only have 3 hours (or something like that) to make a move. You have a better chance meeting a girl through a friend, or become friends first and then making a move after you've been around her a while.

Ever now and again you find a girl who is just purely horney and just wants to get some. The girl I met over the summer was like that. We met and 9 hours later she jumped on top of me. :Spin:

BEst way to meet chicks is through mutual friends. It's less threatening I suppose. Also, chicks will always be more interested in you if you're already with another chick. It's the natural feline nature about them -- if some chick is already into you, then (a) the intrigue is piqued, and (b) the possessive nature starts to emerge immediately.

I've actually known girls to dump guys, but still get jealous when they start dating other chicks. There is nothing mechanical about a chick whatsoever. It is a failure in evolution that they depend on emotion so much.

Another thing is that girls WANT TO BE PURSUED, but the trick is that (like you said) don't want to feel threatened either. It's a skill to pursue smoothly.

JayKeeley said:
BEst way to meet chicks is through mutual friends. It's less threatening I suppose. Also, chicks will always be more interested in you if you're already with another chick. It's the natural feline nature about them -- if some chick is already into you, then (a) the intrigue is piqued, and (b) the possessive nature starts to emerge immediately.
Seriously. Were I a scumbag, I could've probably banged like 10 other chicks while with my last girlfriend, putting ZERO effort into it. I think dudes give off a smell when they have a woman, that only other women can pick up. I dunno.

I met my wife at work, and was even in a modest supervisory position when we got together. They had to move her to a different assignment. That was 10 years ago, and we've worked at the same place ever since, although not at the same place we met. People always remark that they can't imagine working at the same place as their spouse, I can't imagine not. We have different jobs--We're social workers, and I'm in admin and she is the Clinical Director.
First child in 2003
Second child in 2005

JayKeeley said:
Chicks come along when you least expect it. It's true.

Truer words were never spoken.

Met my wife on September 9th 2000. It was her sorority blind date party where other sisters get to invite the dudes for their sorority sisters. Anyway my friends (who were her soro sisters) Erin and Lenny invited me to be Summer's blind date. And there you go.

Married in November '04.

Met mine at work, and she's the only girlfriend I've ever had. I was 17, she was 18. We're a bit of a weird couple, both really shy, and experienced

a) first serious relationship
b) first kiss
c) first fuck

together. I'd been COMPLETELY obsessed with her for 4 or 5 months, got to know her through her best friend even though we went to high school and worked together. 2 1/2 years later, things are going great and we couldn't imagine things having turned out any other way!

I met her online through the Akercocke board 2 years ago and in the last few months it evolved into a relationship, she visited me the first time on April for year and we really had a great time, I'm coming to visit her in England in August and we're planning on moving together in England within 2005.

My latest future ex girlfriend is someone I worked with for months. I told her i didnt want to go out or date. We hung out kinda messed around for about 9 or 10 months. She constantly made remarks about us being to together and I shot them down continously. I didnt want a girlfriend and hoped to die single. Anyway we went bowling and I told her if she won two outta three games then i would go out with her. Luckily I won. Then she got so pissed and mad that i just gave in and said if it would make her happy then i would go out with her. We have almost nothing in common. I love metal and cats and she listens to shit pop punk music and has lots of dogs. She wears prep clothing and was a cheerleader, I wear camouflage shorts and Anthrax and Iced Earth tshirts everywhere and I was in band in highschool. i studied Psychology in College and she is studying history( something I also like though). She has absolutely no common sense but is very book smart. Im not that book smart but have alot more common sense. We have been together ofr 5 months now. Im only mildly attracted to her and theres alot of things about her that REALLY bother me. Other than that we are great. The last girl I dated her mother tried to cut my head off with an axe and the one before that was a huge fat whale of a women that brainwashed her daughter to cheat on me. Yes Im very jaded and angry at women.