Where were you on 9-11-01???

10293847 said:
Like all things I see on TV, when I saw that a plane hit a building, I was hoping that another one would be hit because TV is really just entertainment, and the plot was just getting good.

No matter how much we want to think that this incident was something we learned from, most people saw it on TV, and went back to their normal lives within a day or so because it didn't affect most people.
I wish I could've gone back to my normal life a day or two later. Unfortunately, It's kinda hard to believe that you're able to go back to normal after your father died. Don't you think?

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you people? These were 3000 real, living and existing people we're talking about!! This wasn't some ordinary tv show, where you can tell yourself that it was just fiction. If you've gone to New York City in the past 5 years, you would have seen nothing where the towers once stood. And in that same area, 3000 Corpses were dug up from the smouldering ashes of the result of opening act of the current chapter of world history. The last time I checked, 3000 deaths seemed a bit more serious than "just plain tv".

At least Fah-Q is on the same page as me.

That still doesn't justify the fact that people are finding the entire thing funny, or aren't taking it seriously.

You can't change human nature; there are always going to be people who laugh at anothers pain and misfortune.

This is the most bizarre and disappointing thread I have ever seen here! It isn't about how many Iraqis may have been killed by Bush's adventures into Persia, etc. And to excuse these painfully glib dismissals of the event as "human nature" is inconsiderate nonsense.
It is human nature to wish to kill your enemies and such - that doesn't mean it is necessarily acceptable to do it. A regular Forum member shared early on that his Father was killed in that attack...and still so many feel fully justified in being stunningly, and perhaps intentionally insensitive in their responses!
Perhaps some of you have never known sudden and tragic loss - I don't know. Or maybe you really just don't give a flying fuck about anyone...

Reactions: Horus
judas69 said:
650,000+ Iraq's were killed in response to those 3,000 deaths.
650,000 Iraqi people have not died in the war. Where did you read that? Aside from that rubbish, we would have wound up in Iraq eventually anyway.

Ptah Khnemu said:
I understand that, but laughing at taht many people is still pretty fucked up.

The closer you identify with an incident, the more effected you are by it and vice versa so, don't be a hypocrite, unless of course you cry whenever you hear of a death on the news.

Laughing may not be normal, but he's certainly entitled to it.

judas69 said:
The closer you identify with an incident, the more effected you are by it and vice versa so, don't be a hypocrite, unless of course you cry whenever you hear of a death on the news.

Is mourning my father's death really being a hypocrite? Maybe you should'nt be calling people names, unless you know about that person's history, and my history with this issue, I've stated many times in this thread.

And just because I don't find death to be a funny thing doesn't mean I cry over it.

judas69 said:

Now you are just instigating.

Just to clairify, I never meant anything against his father's death, infact, I had previously skimmed over his posts in the first place so I completely missed it, my apologies there. What I was alluding to was that it happened in America, as opposed to another country like Iraq, and now humans have this tendency of overlooking the atrocities of others, albeit personal and otherwise.

I don't find death to be funny at all either so we are in complete agreement; I can however, understand and on some level accept, human nature. Thus, I still stand by what I've said previously.

Sorry again about your loss, I definitely wasn't alluding to anything there.

I was on my way to school when I heard it on the radio. It didn't seem to click until I finally got to school. Then I felt like I'd been socked in the stomach, all day.

Which is weird, because I'm a) not exactly patriotic and b) I was a rather insensitive person back then.

school. AP History Class if i remember correctly... and i was the only one who knew anything because i have a gift for ferreting out information and processing it; no one else knew much of anything but i pieced it together from overhearing teachers and the media outlets etc. they tried to kept it hush hush from the student body, but i helped get the word out. shortly after 11:30-noon they sent everyone home for the next day or so.

same thing happened with the Beltway Snipers...

judas69 said:
650,000+ Iraq's were killed in response to those 3,000 deaths.

I read an article in the NYTimes about that, and the figure is 500,000 Iraqis have died since the beginning of the war. About 65% of those deaths have been by cause other than the war. I believe only 10% of that has been from the war.

Reactions: Horus
Thank you for bringing forward the real facts behind those #'s. I knew there had to be further explanation.

NegativeVolume said:
I read an article in the NYTimes about that, and the figure is 500,000 Iraqis have died since the beginning of the war. About 65% of those deaths have been by cause other than the war. I believe only 10% of that has been from the war.

Yes, thank you for that.