Where were you when...

I was blasting the generic metal on the XM station in my truck while blasting down the highway. Then they played Heir Apparent as it was new at the time. Later I heard Lotus Eater. I said to myself, Wow, who makes this kind of music? This is freakin great! I'll buy a cd if I like 2 songs from it, so I bought Watershed. Put it in my cd player and the first song Coil, came on. Not at all a metal song, but a hauntingly beautiful song to start the album. In the middle of that song, I knew that there was a lot more to Opeth then just Heavy Metal. The rest of the cd was awesome. So I quickly bought the back catalog. Great stuff. I believe it was rainy and foggy when I listened to most of their stuff for the first time. So that kind of weather is when I like Opeth best. Boring story, oh well.

It was a real long time ago...Not a special time, after rehearsing, our singer brought a very brand new disc, called "Morningrise"...I'd never heard Metal so well blended with acoustic guitars before, since old Metallica, and I got really stuck with the band, until now.

I'd have one earbud dedicated to crew communication, and the other discreetly playing old Opeth songs that were brand-new to me.

wow man, you really did that? if it was me, id have no music whatsoever because i dont want to get my ass shot

Well, the first handful of times...hell no. But after a while, I felt like I could stay aware and enjoy some Wreath at the same time. I feel like it helped!

EDIT: BTW dude, i hope you didn't kill anyone who's not carrying a weapon :D[/QUOTE]

Thankfully, I didn't kill anyone at all.

In the summer of 2002 I was just getting into a lot of metal from Europe and a friend of mine had suggested I try out Opeth. He had sent me something from BWP and I really didn't like the vocals so I dismissed it, though the music was good I couldn't tolerate it. I then heard Cannibal Corpse's cover of No Remorse and got into it a lot. It was from that point I could listen to Opeth a bit easier and got the longest song they had. I had Black Rose Immortal on repeat until my 56k connection had spit out another song.

I felt this band I had to hear them from the beginning. So I downloaded everything they had over night and listened to it from Orchid to BWP and immediately went out and bought what I could. Eventually I bought all of their stuff and saw them on the Damnation tour.

Its been an amazing run and finding out all this music in less than a years time I felt and still feel a bit overwhelmed. I have said it about bands in the past that I will listen to them for a long time to come. Opeth is a band where I can stay true to that statement.

I loved all the responses. I also love the fact that there are others out there who feel/felt inspired by the music.

Fuckin' awesome, really.