When do you listen to music ?

warsofwinter

In memory of Chuck
May 2, 2001
Corner Brook Canada
www.warsofwinter.cjb.net
For myself I rarely listen to music in the daytime , the only time I listen to cd's are at night when I am falling asleep . Some music even effects my dreams . Ha I remember once (in my dream) I was at an opeth concert , the day before the dream in real life I was talking to somebody and they said that opeth weren't that good live , anyway back to the dream , I was at the show and In Flames finnished and then nevermore played and then Opeth came (these were the order that the cd's played in my cd player while I was sleeping) when opeth came on they sounded exactly like on the cd , I was freaked out , going nuts headbanging and everything , then they played creedence and i calmed down and talked to my friend who was there , ironically I said they sounded exactly like the cd . Ha ha , weird dream

I listen to different kind of music at different times. Mostly I listen to music when I go to bed and when I´m in the car. In the bed I enjoy listening to music like Opeth, Anathema, Dissection, Vintersorg etc. In the afternoon I prefer to listen to music like The Crown, Slayer, Iron Maiden, At The Gates etc. In the car I only listen to Bruce Springsteen, Bruce Springsteen and Bruce Springsteen. Why? Because his music is so extremely good to listen to at the road.

indeed weird........hehe

hmmmmm............i can listen to music all day long......any time and almost anywhere.....even on the bus while going to uni.....
but the best time is at night I think......especially when i am totally home alone : )

I listen to music all the time :) My ears are always plugged up unless I'm studying. And it depends what mood you're in too I guess. The other day I started listening to CoF and after that I listened to Frente. I guess I'm strange like that.

*I can listen to music all day long.
*I simply don't drive without listening to music.
*I like it all the time, and I like it LOUD!!!! (short, cut & dry)

Well, my driving would be labor if not for Opeth-- Opeth i find goes well nicely on the road in spring weather-- some people tend to look twice or look at me strangely though as I have Opeth blasting with open windows. hehe I like to frighten the people with heavenly demonic music.

Originally posted by Protocol
Whenever I'm conscious and in the vicinity of my music collection.

Definitely,

This can be interesting when I am studying, as my music collection rests on the same desk that I work at.
I like having some ambience while I exercise the old left side of the brain, but I tend to go into these trances that can last quite a while. (especially with Opeth...) Quite a few times I 'wake' up to find that I have shattered the leads in my pencils thanks to some vigorous desk-drumming.

I pretty much can't breathe without music :D. I listen to music all the time. When studying, making lunch, typing on the CPU (got Fire Burns in OUr Hearts by Clandestine Blaze on now!), sleeping, even have a cd player in the bathroom :D
I tend to listen to halfway relaxed music in the morning, like VIntersorg, Borknagar, Havayoth etc., agressive shit like The Crown, Cryptopsy, Clandestine Blaze, Sadistic Intent etc. in the afternoon, and complex thought-provoking music in the evening or when I'm studying (like Opeth, Spiral Architect, Agalloch, Gordian KNot, Carl Orff, later-era Death, etc). ANd I can't drive a block without music on the stereo!

Originally posted by Sadistik
...and complex thought-provoking music in the evening or when I'm studying (like Opeth, Spiral Architect, Agalloch, Gordian KNot, Carl Orff, later-era Death, etc)

cool man, I really like your description of "complex thought-provoking". I'm going to have to stop being so lazy and try to get some of those bands you mentioned here. Do you have any other suggestions for this prog freak? Can you please rate them in terms of complexiety and heaviness? I'd appreciate it..

cheers

Satori

Originally posted by brightoffski

Definitely,

This can be interesting when I am studying, as my music collection rests on the same desk that I work at.
I like having some ambience while I exercise the old left side of the brain, but I tend to go into these trances that can last quite a while. (especially with Opeth...) Quite a few times I 'wake' up to find that I have shattered the leads in my pencils thanks to some vigorous desk-drumming.

Same here , when I listen to opeth and study the same time my ears pay attention to the music and my eyes cross over and I start to get sick , weird eh?

Originally posted by Protocol
Whenever I'm conscious and in the vicinity of my music collection.
Nicely put. :D I listen to Opeth...pretty much only Opeth while I'm driving. Yeah...always Opeth. For about a year and a half now. I know I'm pathetic. Hahaha!

At work, I play tunes on the PC in this here "office" and it's all good and dandy. :p I've got Opeth, Katatonia, At The Gates, The Gathering, Hypocrisy, Carcass, Immortal, and a friend sent me his bands only two song, Agonist. They're awesome. I love it. I can't wait to see if they get more songs and make some recordings.

At home it's the jukebox. Walk in, kick off my shoes, press RANDOM PLAY and I'm in heaven.

Well Satori, here goes:
Spiral Architect: Made up of black metal musicians (who have done or are doing time in the likes of Satyricon, Borknagar and more) and a kickass singer, these guys are the definition of musicians music. Tightly wound, energetic, dizzyingly complex power/prog that makes Cynic seem like Limp Bizkit, skill-wise. Great stuff.

Agalloch:All Opeth fans should check this out, it'll be right up your alley, though a more black metal...

Gordian Knot: Fascinating instrumental prog/atmospheric/metal featuring Chapman Stick master Sean Malone (ex-Cynic, ex-Anomaly, Aghora-on C.Stick and bass) Ron Jarzombek on guitars (Watchtower) Trey Gunn (King Crimson) on guitar, guest appearances by John Myung (Dream Theater, on stick) with Sean Reinert (ex-Cynic, Aghora, ex-Death). Excellent deeply felt progressive music, a beautiful album.

Carl Orff was a german composer who wrote famous operas, most notably Carmina Burana (sp?)

And later-era Death you probably know, but if you don't, start with the Sound of Perseverance (technical death at its most technical, with a great Priest cover), then get Individual Thought Patterns, Human and Symbolic.

anyways, there ya go....

Pretty much whenever I have the time...odd that you should mention Gordian Knot, because I am listening to them right now! I am a huge fan of progressive and technical metal. In fact, it was the incorporation of progressive elements (and the great acoustics) into melodic death that played a major part in converting me to Opeth worship.

I have the radio on most of the day at work - I listen to WAAF from Boston - best music station I've ever listened to. Great DJ's, and the hardest music played short of the local college stations special metal shows. It's more of a filler during the day, as I spend probably 10% of the day actually "listening" to the music. My problem is (or actually, it's a good thing) that once I get into the music - I'm gone until the next break (or bad song).

My best listening is leading up to bedtime. That's when I choose what I want to hear based on my mood at that moment. I find that my best listening pleasure is derived from a properly planned and executed CD experience. Lighting, how I'm dressed, what room I'll listen in, the album, the song - all very important when "listening". At least I have 2 good room choices - the living room which has what I consider a monster system, and my bedroom which also has Pro-Logic & a sub-woofer. Once I settle in - the next thing I remember is the morning.

By the way - I find Opeth the best in the car - nothing like epic songs on the highway

I listen to music any time I can. I listen to my CDs in my car (I never listen to radio), at work (its funny to see people's reaction to the music I play), during the shower, before bed, I mean any time I can find to listen to a CD I do it.

When I was working full-time in Multimedia, I was unable to function without music. It was key. My basic requirement was an epic seamless album that could get me to this mental plane of lost, satisfied, isolationism so I could completely shut out the rest of the world and just look at the computer and work. Opeth, Anathema's Judgement and Ocean Machine all worked especially great for this.

I can't drive without music. I refuse. Nevermore, Arch Enemy, Amorphis, Gardenien, In Flames, all good for short trips, more epic stuff for longer trips.

When I'm actually stopping to simply concentrate on music happens on the computer where I space out and just listen to new stuff via MP3's for "assessment" for record purchases (Brave, Estatic Fear, The Gathering as of late), and before I go to bed when I pull out my favourite album of the moment and look through the liner notes and just listen. That's the best time.

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn

When I'm actually stopping to simply concentrate on music happens on the computer where I space out and just listen to new stuff via MP3's for "assessment" for record purchases (Brave, Estatic Fear, The Gathering as of late), and before I go to bed when I pull out my favourite album of the moment and look through the liner notes and just listen. That's the best time.

The Gathering are one of my favourites at the moment.
I am familiar with Mandylion, Nighttime Birds and How to Measure a Planet? They have a very beautiful and unique sound and style going for these three albums.

What are your thoughts HoserHellspawn? I would be particularly interested to hear what you thought of any of the other albums.

I have heard only the odd track from If_Then_Else and none of the pre Anneke van Giersbergen albums. If_Then_Else could be a possibility for the future...

Also right with you in listening before bed with the album notes, always a good time to lose yourself in some epic music. :loco: