When do you listen to music ?

Originally posted by warsofwinter

Same here , when I listen to opeth and study the same time my ears pay attention to the music and my eyes cross over and I start to get sick , weird eh?

A little weird, yes! :)
What do you mean you get sick? Are you incapable of studying and listening to music at the same time?

I know I am. Well, my ability to effectively study drops quite significantly as soon as my stereo is inevitably switched on anyway.

Actually, the tracks I've been listening to are from "Nighttime Birds". I've read greatly conflicting reviews of this band, actually, although most seem to think that was their best album and then "How to Measure..." was a step down. What do you say?

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
Actually, the tracks I've been listening to are from "Nighttime Birds". I've read greatly conflicting reviews of this band, actually, although most seem to think that was their best album and then "How to Measure..." was a step down. What do you say?

I haven't really read any reviews, I found out about them through my friend and flatmate who owns "Nighttime Birds".

The only other piece of information that inspired me to take a make further investigation (apart from enjoying "Nighttime Birds"), was from an old Terrorizer feature on the most important albums of the nineties. It was mentioned in a rundown of the history of the Gothic/Atmospheric genre that The Gathering started off sounding like most other bands of that early nineties era and that there was a dispute of sorts with Paradise Lost when some of the riffs were noted as 'too similar'. Apparently this is about the time Anneke van Giersbergen was recruited and the band released "Mandylion". The feature then went on to highly recommend "Mandylion" and "How to Measure..." so I decided to take a look.

"Mandylion" can best be described as a slightly more raw sound, but very similar in style to "Nighttime Birds". The track "Sand & Mercury" is a standout for me, although there are some other cool atmospheric numbers as well.

"How to Measure a Planet?" as you must be aware of, was a progression from "Mandylion" and "Nighttime Birds". The music is different in that most of the songs are 'less energetic' and there is a lot more (gasp) electronics incorporated, but the dreamy kind of essence of the previous albums is still there. There is also a lot of experimental soundscape kind of stuff, (i.e. the second CD) which is even more different. The band list Radiohead's "OK Computer" as a favourite album and influences from here are definitely evident.

Personally, I like "How to Measure..." because of it's great diversity and originality, both of which do not come at the expense of the familiar 'Gathering' presence.

I had better wind this up, I have procrastinated exam revision long enough...!