which band made you get into metal?

It must be Iron Maiden. After almost 24/7 roleplaying sessions in summer ´94 where my friends played Maiden, Manowar, Helloween etc. I finally gave up and ask for my friend to copy me "Real Live One" and "Real Dead One". Then through Entombed to death metal, through Anathema and MDB to atmospheric music, through Cathedral and Orange Goblin to doom and stoner etc...
And the rest is history... :cool:

I really should be more precise than before, if i track back...Metallica got me into "hard" music, then trhoughout the years i liked useless mallfuck music (Korn, Staind, 3 Doors Down), but later my love for Tool brought me to a board where 3 people talked about a very "intelligent" band called Opeth. I tried them out and despised the growling vocals for the first few lsietens. Now I love them, and tons of other metal bands. Oh the memories.

Probably Guns N' Roses and Iron Maiden. I think when I first heard metal like stuff was with Europe's "The final question" which my parents has.
Another band that got me into metal was Run DMC, believe it or not. The reason why I liked them wasn't for the rap and all that shit, but the electric guitars on songs like "Walk this way" (which was my first encounter with them) and "Raising hell". You could say that it was the wrong reason to like rap music and when I saw "Yo! MTV Raps" for the first time I was very dissapointed, because no one had electric guitars. At that time (around 1989 I think) I only liked Run DMC and a Danish band called MC Einar, which was kind of Denmarks version of Run DMC as they also had electric guitars. I soon began listening to Guns N' Roses and Iron Maiden as they had electric guitars on all their tracks and they didn't rap and stuff. I also remember Gorky Park's "Bang" and I still have the original tape lying around. I remember liking that song very much when it came out in 1989.

Fates Warning.. believe it or not.. it was a specific song "Epitaph" from the album - the spectre within - I got totally enchanted with the riff just after the intro.. I had this 30 second clip of the song for several months before I could find the album in a small store in the middle of nowhere, it was a magic moment :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ChokingParasite
I really should be more precise than before, if i track back...Metallica got me into "hard" music, then trhoughout the years i liked useless mallfuck music (Korn, Staind, 3 Doors Down), but later my love for Tool brought me to a board where 3 people talked about a very "intelligent" band called Opeth. I tried them out and despised the growling vocals for the first few lsietens. Now I love them, and tons of other metal bands. Oh the memories.
Yay! I love hearing stories like this. :D

I posted this in a Similar Discussion, on the Vintersorg boards..So Lina, lol I hope u really do like these kinda stories..haha..

My musical progression is a bit odd I guess...

I started out listening to Sabbath, Zeppelin, Metallica, GnR

at 15 I discovered power metal: Stratovarious, Rhapsody, Edguy

at 16 I saw a video that would change my life forever..Dream Theater's "lie" I was obsessed with Dream theater, it made me practice guitar 10 hrs a day, and have no life, to the point where I can now play all of Images and Words and Awake. I followed this prog rock thing for about a year..Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Rush, Yes, Jason Becker, Borislav Mitic, Buckethead...etc

At 17, I got into heavier stuff, like In Flames, COB, Iced Eath...lol that was a quick phase, as I found myself still more into prog rock...Then all would change when I heard Emperor, Mayhem, and Immortal..became a huge black metal fan. I was in awe with the atmosphere, and the dark macabre sounding musical ideas...From there I got into a death/black metal band, from where I wa sintroduced to Death, Origin, Morbid Angel, Vader etc...

At the dawning of my 18th birthday last year, I heard Opeth for the first time...And..I...I was blown away like I have never been before..since that day, I am hooked..I make atmospheric, somber, melanchollie music...I use my voice as more of an intrument, mellow and dark acoustic ideas..Lately I have been drawn to that goth rock, goth metal type sound, almost folk in nature.

Although I still practice my ass off, and still can pull off everything I was able to when I was younger...I know blend my emotions and my feelings in my shred, playing my personality, playing my feelings..whether it be 10000 notes a second or 1 note a minute, it all comes from my heart and soul. So I think I matured musiclly to the point where I found my niche...Opeth, Katatonia, Anathema..etc Although I still love all my musical stages, and when I write music, I still incorparate, all my influences over the past 4 yrs..the whole In flames, gothenburg thing I just cant dig anymore..at all..*shrugs*

Yeah, Dream Theater is a mind blowing band. I remember when I got my first DT album ("Scenes From A Memory"), I was overwhelmed for literally days. It's a brilliant disc, and when I sit back and really take it in, it still overwhelmes me.

and Thornie, the whole "use your voice as an instrument" thing is really great. To me, the most important thing about a band is the vocals, how the person sounds and projects their voice. There are alot of good vocalists, but only two have the ability to make me feel completly nostalgic, them being Mikael Akerfeldt and Maynard James Keenan. Keep working on your vox, and eventually they'll be brilliant.

Originally posted by Jaggers Of Sadness
thanks man, sometimes I wish I can sing better than I can shred, but yeh Im working on it..;)

I should check out your shreddy stuff. I'll have to do it when my computer isn't being a bitch though, I have possibly the worst 56k, so it works whenever it feels like it, which is almost never.

cool man, I dont really post much of my shred stuff, Since I post mostly on the Opeth BB, I realized people here are more into atmosphere and composition rather than flashy 8 finger tapping, and 7 string sweeps...and the way my playing has matured, I rarely go bananas anymore..lol once in a while.