Which country is home to the best metal/music?

VampyrRose

Jan 21, 2006
In my opinion Europe's metal scene is vastly superior to almost anything that North America has to offer, and on so many levels.

Without a doubt in my mind Sweden is currently the best country for metal. Bands like Naglfar, Face Down, Dark Funeral, Lord Belial, and many other bands including dark ambient like Kammarheit. 2005 was an excellent year for Swedish metal.

Of course, any fan of black metal can't deny the Norwegian scene of 10 years ago, possibly the greatest. Today, I think bands like 1349 and Gorgoroth are amongst Norway's best.

Some of my other opinions:
Not to stereotype but its obvious that some countries have tendencies. Finland is home to a lot of melodic metal, and folk. Norway, for the most part produces black metal. Canada's metal scene is somewhat lesser-known/underground. US's metal has some good death metal, but is generally awful, and infested with metalcore and nu-metal. France, Poland, Germany, UK are also pretty good.

I'd have to say Sweden and Norway, England, Germany and I think the US is home to a lot of great bands too. If I'd have to pick the very best I guess it would be a tie between Sweden and England because most of the bands I like come from these places...

fotmbm said:
Sweden is nice but your examples are very bad.

lol, I knew that was coming. But those are just some of the bands that I listen to and have released good albums recently.

I could have easily gone with "everyone's favourites" like Opeth, Dark Tranquility, At the Gates but I'm not that big of a fan of those bands. I know not everyone likes them either, but for the most part, these bands get the most recognition in Swedish metal.

Susperia said:
I'd have to say Sweden and Norway, England, Germany and I think the US is home to a lot of great bands too. If I'd have to pick the very best I guess it would be a tie between Sweden and England because most of the bands I like come from these places...
DO YOU KNOW WHAT PADDY FINKS PINKIE IS RIGHT I LIKE WHAT YOU SAY MY MAN:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass::

VampyrRose said:
lol, I knew that was coming. But those are just some of the bands that I listen to and have released good albums recently.

I could have easily gone with "everyone's favourites" like Opeth, Dark Tranquility, At the Gates but I'm not that big of a fan of those bands. I know not everyone likes them either, but for the most part, these bands get the most recognition in Swedish metal.
Wow, those examples were even worse!
try:

Tribulation, Dismember, Corrupt, Ondskapt, Morbid, Entombed, Grave, Damnation, Nifelheim, Nominon, Watain, Hypnosia, Thyrfing or something like that

fotmbm said:
Wow, those examples were even worse!
try:

Tribulation, Dismember, Corrupt, Ondskapt, Morbid, Entombed, Grave, Damnation, Nifelheim, Nominon, Watain, Hypnosia, Thyrfing or something like that

I know,thats the point I'm making - it was an opinion to begin with. But if you were to ask the general population or have a vote, they would all say Opeth, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, At the Gates etc.

Having a look at the top 10 of my playlist 2005 which looked like this:

1. Gåte - "Iselilja" (Norway)
2. Atrox - "Terrestrials" (Norway)
3. Atrox - "Orgasm" (Norway)
4. Två Fisk Och En Fläsk - "Flesh Workshop - 2005" (Sweden)
5. Kari Bremnes - "Over en by" (Norway)
6. Nemesea - "Mana" (The Netherlands)
7. Madder Mortem - "Deadlands" (Norway)
8. The Third And The Mortal - "Project Bluebook" (Norway)
9. Kari Bremnes - "Løsrivelse" (Norway)
10. Midnattsol - "Where Twilight Dwells" (Norway/Germany)

and talking about music in general, I´d say the answer is quite obvious: Norway (or Trondheim in particular). But even if I skip the non-metal albums (Gåte, Två Fisk Och En Fläsk, Kari Bremnes, The Third And The Mortal), it´s still Norway.

Way back in the eighties and thinking about bands like Metallica (before they got boring), Megadeth, Testament, Metal Church, Helstar, Forbidden, Agent Steel, Death, Détente, Znowhite, Flotsam & Jetsam, Hades, Fates Warning and Anacrusis, I´d immediately have said: the United States.

It probably also depends on what kind of metal/music you prefer.

np: Madder Mortem - "Hangman"

definitely Sweden

ppl there are so carefree that they dont have any other amusements, but making music. And I must admit most of them do it really good.

Back when my dick was hard over Opeth I'd have said Sweden. But now I'm back to the good old U.S. of A. for best metal.

Sweden without a doubt.A lot of original bands born in sweden.Therion,evergrey,pain of salvation,tiamat,opeth,at the gates,dark tranquillity,lake of tears,katatonia,in flames,amon amarth,freak kitchen,hypocrisy....Their creativity is unlimited.