Which Opeth vocal style do you like the best?

Which style of Opeth extreme vocals do you like better?

• Older style (higher-pitched and more black-metallish)

Votes: 30 23.8%
  • New Style (Deeper and more death-metallish)

Votes: 96 76.2%

• Total voters
Yeah i like the old style a little better, i think it was easier to put more emotion over the more blackish vox. however it would be kool for mike to do some vox on the next album more like in "crimson" they were really over the top , like the "unholy god"part, those were great black metal shrieks..it would be kool for a song or two....

Yeah i do agree , but i dont think dan really has a bm rasp , and the contrasting vox in that song make it so much better. i mean dan has his clean vox then all of a sudden in comes this bm scream its great. just an amazing song.

Option C: I love the way he sings on their cover of Nevermore's "42147"

...oh... sorry... wait... that WAS nevermore... oops! My mistake.

Opeth? Meh. I like the bits just before and just after the songs... you know, the bits BETWEEN the tracks... that is the best part of the albums

:D

-Trapped (Too much Coffee... and WAAAY too much thrash in my headphones to be in an opeth mood)

Originally posted by Trapped

Opeth? Meh. I like the bits just before and just after the songs... you know, the bits BETWEEN the tracks... that is the best part of the albums

-Trapped (Too much Coffee... and WAAAY too much thrash in my headphones to be in an opeth mood)
Im dissapointed. Poor effort there, youve done better.. wont even create an argument this one!

But aynway, i like the new better.

Originally posted by Trapped

Why the fuck would you even post something this retarded? Were you dropped on your head as a child? Jesus. NEVERMORE? Um, Dane might have a versatile voice, but up until Dreaming Neon Black, he was an AWFUL vocalist. His voice was thin, his range was nonexistant, and he went off-key a ridiculous amount (which is unforgivable).

You bitch about people worshipping Opeth, and you yourself worship a far inferior band that has only released ONE great album (Dreaming Neon Black). I guess you're real goal is simply to act like a cock and piss off as many people as possible. Pretty sad.

Well, I must say I gotta go with the minority on this one. The vocal style of both Orchid & Morningrise were the best, IMO! They were far more emotional & powerful, not to mention they create a more darkly mood (not that the newer ones do not, they are great as well, just not as great.)

I mean, damn...a good example would be in Black Rose Immortal. The lyrics shortly after the amazingly powerful intrumental after the sound of water shortly passes - just awesome stuff!

I must say, also, that in MAYH it's a bit of a combination of both. The vocals are not exactly in the style of Still Life or BWP and aren't exactly Orchid or Morningrise-style either. It's in-between, I say...I believe this was the album where his vocal-style is slowly shifting into the more deep, death-metal style as opposed to the previously more black metal-style.

Either way, both styles of Mikaels vocals are awesome! Others cannot even come close in this genre of music, or any other for that matter (for his clean vocals are simply excellent as well...in ALL their albums!)

I personally like the newer style.

I'm not exactly sure why. After all my Opeth listening, I still hold Blackwater Park the album at the top of my Opeth list. Is it because of the vocals, the production? Not entirely sure - but since I like the overall sound of BWP (and the songs), that's why I pick the newer style.