Which song on still life was the "Willow Tree"

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
I was reading an old interview and this was said...

I understand that you are already preparing to enter the studio in 1999 to begin recording your new album - what is the new material sounding like? Do you have any song titles that you could provide?

It´s going to be our most complex work...also, we plan to fill the entire CD with music, 74 minutes. So far, the material has turned out to be very strange and weird. It will be a very melodic album with a very, very dark, sick and twisted undertone. It will be a very mellow album at times, with merely silent touches upon the strings and skins. It will be aggressive in the very sense of the word. It will be an Opeth record by all means. Some [song] titles: "Face of Melinda," "Serenity Painted Death," and "The Willow Tree."

Which song was going to be called "The WIllow Tree"? Is it a song on still life with a changed title? Or was it a proposed song that didnt make the cut?

I'm figuring it might be white cluster. The lyrics revolve around the character getting hung. And people get hung from trees. But thats just my guess tis all

AllWithinMyMonster said:
I'm figuring it might be white cluster. The lyrics revolve around the character getting hung. And people get hung from trees. But thats just my guess tis all

Sounds reasonable, or it could be a song that got cut. Since they said it would be 74 minutes and it is only 62 minutes.

Who knows...

That's interesting. I have many ideas for this...Firstly it could be a cutout song as Caelum Adustum said. Or it could White Cluster because I've heard somewhere that people use to get hung on Willow Trees(or was it Oak Trees) just like AllWithinMyMonster has said...Or, this might be one of my idiotic ideas. It can be Benighted, where Melinda and our main character met near a Willow Tree to discuss whether they should leave the place or not, yet standing by a tree may foreshadow what may happen to the main character in White Cluster...

It's probably White Cluster, because if we assume it IS White Cluster, Mike mentions the titles in the order found on the album.

It would be cool if it was a "B-side", you know.