who did you enlighten today?

there may be reasons for his/her disliking of those two particular songs since they might sound similar, to the untrained ear, or at least to the ear full of bacteria.
i can't quite place an objection like 'repetitive' said by someone who's tastes verge towards amorphis, but maybe auctioned would have called for different comments. try again.
and stop sobbing, for heaven's sake! ;)

i know your goldfishes. they never looked very deep to me, what with always trusting the aquarium thingy...

rahvin.

Relata refero (i.e. "I refer what was referred to me"). This one's from the aforementioned person, which sometimes browses the dt forum and has read this thread:
Originally written by someone who's not (yet?) a member of the board:
I don't know whether I like dt or not, actually, since my "rusty" friend made me listen to just a couple of songs (while dt's production is terribly vast), and I had too little basis for an adequate comment, *but* he promised to give me almost everything he has, so maybe I'll come back here myself with more detailed - and even reasoned - comments.

/me waiting for enlightement... (ears 100% clean and ready ;) )
And this one's from the unsatisfied goldfishes: :)

Alfred (wannabe dt proselytizer :D)

Yes, my confession has done, but not by my hands. I've an alter ego called "Barracus", the same shit in his comments and the same paranoia and hope inside him, but with another "label". Tender and lovely as a nice bear, indeed! :D

And yeah, I'm a victim of that enlightment you're talking about, and the fuckin' murder of my mind and ears is no other than that nasty Melon. As a result? It's a pleasure to listen albums like Projector, Haven or Skydancer. Freecard, Auctioned, Wonders at his feet... I love these songs, listening to them on and on. ;)

Unfortunately for the purpose of the thread, I must say I'm half enlighted, 'cos my computer is downloading tones of new stuff and I haven't time enough to listen to DT as well as I would wish.

|ngenius (another one in the chest)

Originally never posted before
I don't know whether I like dt or not, actually, since my "rusty" friend made me listen to just a couple of songs (while dt's production is terribly vast),

this is quite telling. if you liked dt you wouldn't think that their production is that vast. on the other hand, you would probably complain as to why exactly they aren't playing at your place tonight. and i really mean at your place. ;)

and I had too little basis for an adequate comment, *but* he promised to give me almost everything he has,

he's a very kind guy, i know, but please try not to believe him when he says he's going to give you everything he owns. that's just his big mouth and big heart talking. he would eventually stop giving just one step above the poverty line. :)

so maybe I'll come back here myself with more detailed - and even reasoned - comments.

you'll be welcome, whatever the comments, the details or the reason. a friend of alfred is my friend, as i used to say before being beaten with a sledgehammer and left for dead in the piranha tank by the bunch of yetis he came back from that holiday in siberia with. :rolleyes:

rahvin.

I get the same thing Alfred, everyone I play my music to thinks they all sound the same, my friend couldnt tell the difference between Amon Amarth and At the Gates..............its mainly cause of the vox...........but as Rahvin said, its the untrained ear, and the ears full of bacteria that fill up our nice and trendy america.......what can I do? :cry:

@rahvin: well they're always writen in 3D, since I've never been succesfull in a 2D aproach to the keyboard. :rolleyes:

@alfred have you ever tried to put an amp within the tank???
may be they'll like the songs then...but keep in mind that being golden are bound to like some disco music....not metal!

fathervic (who did not pay for dimensions he wouldn't use)

Originally posted by rahvin

this is quite telling (...)
...not at all...
I'm a practical being... I just said those two songs were too few for me to produce any sort of serious comment and I meant "they're too few" :)
If Alfred (or anybody else), wants me to criticize something I have no knowledge of, he/she/it should give/suggest me some large starting point or I won't be able to express a *real* opinion. You can't expect everyone to share your taste at first try, especially when your listener is a one-eared newbie... like me :loco:
he's a very kind guy, i know (...)
Yes, yes... he's kind, he's nice, he's bighearted (hmm... can you hear these violins, too?), he's polite and he's definitely taller ;) than me... but most of all he's got an high-speed connection, brilliant conversation and he makes a good coffee :D
you'll be welcome (...)
Thanks, so here I am... couldn't abuse rusty hook's kindness anymore, it wouldn't have been polite... but... yetis but... when? where? wha... *ouch*

/Rei Toei bubbling in the piranha tank (help!!)

hey welcome....
I guess it's the first golden fish I talk to....and well let me say you did a great job typing...I assumed you would have a little more trouble! At least considering the standard epileptical stroks fish have when being out of water...
ehmmmm so just a question...does the hook feed you or is it you the ones to feed the piranhas???

fathervic (fearing going again to Fishy Joe's)

3 years ago:

One of my friend likes french hip hop only, he's 26 and Tunisian (arab, muslim). So, I though, he will never like metal!! But no! He's doing english litterature at university, so maybe that's why he got a enormous respect for DT when I I show him how beautiful it is. And one time, he told me (when I was listenning some metal, don't remember what) that he now begins to undestand why, or how we can like/love metal music. He now ask me to go to a DT concert with me if they come (but they never did, in Montreal, Québec)

All my respect to an open mind. Needless to say that I opened myself on what he was listenning to. To open your mind is just a great thing to do. As metalheads, we should not only help other people to discover metal, but also open our mind to other styles.

Originally posted by Rei Toei

...not at all...
I'm a practical being... I just said those two songs were too few for me to produce any sort of serious comment and I meant "they're too few" :)

the ;) at the end of that portion of my post hinted at me not being so serious about the effect dt should have had on you at first try. on a less humorous side - if i can be said to have one such - i was merely pointing out how those two songs didn't exactly blow you away. so maybe you're going to like some of the stuff dt made, but won't become any die-hard fan. i know nobody can make out much more about it for now, but, hey, i just had to write something. :)

If Alfred (or anybody else), wants me to criticize something I have no knowledge of, he/she/it should give/suggest me some large starting point or I won't be able to express a *real* opinion.

i'm sure he/she/it will. what the hell, i will if noone else does it! :)

You can't expect everyone to share your taste at first try,[/B]

oh, i never do. and this is because most of the things i really really like might be tried just once, or only by one individual, or not at all. i can't go around sharing. ;)

especially when your listener is a one-eared newbie... like me :loco:[/B]

now, now... lack of self-esteem is one thing, but missing one ear is quite another. :p

Yes, yes... he's kind, he's nice, he's bighearted (hmm... can you hear these violins, too?), he's polite and he's definitely taller ;) than me... but most of all he's got an high-speed connection, brilliant conversation and he makes a good coffee :D[/B]

yep, i can the hear the violins: those damn bacteria won't keep quiet for a minute. ;)
alfred is taller than most - although i really have no say in it. as for the rest, i don't drink coffeee and i usually find travelling to his place faster than any modem connection. ;)

rahvin. (hooked on hooks)

/me feeling a stronger and stronger buzzing in his ears... :)

Alfred (both of you, let's make it clear, you won't get a buck for your promotion work :þ)

@fathervic: thanks for your warm welcome and no, I'm not a goldfish... I couldn't bear drinking so much... water ;)
Now, I'm still bubbling in the piranhas tank and - damn - they bite! could anyone help me out? pleeea...brlllbrlblblb :s

@villain: thank you /me bows :)

@rahvin: you're right, I don't think I'll become a dt fan, too, but still I'd like to widen my music knowledge and since all of you seem positively inclined to show newbies the right way to haven :) I candidate myself to be the next in line.

/me looking for support and guidance

@alfred: nzk, to please you is the best reward :lol:

@rahvin: you're right, I don't think I'll become a dt fan, too, but still I'd like to widen my music knowledge and since all of you seem positively inclined to show newbies the right way to haven :) I candidate myself to be the next in line.

at times i feel more inclined to show people the way to the gallery, but then i switch to helpful mode again. ;)

i have no idea of what your other musical tastes might be about, but i do have quite a wide range. i wouldn't have chosen those two songs to send you first in a thousand years, tho. the road to dt haven begins with something like 'the sun fired blanks', imo.
and there's many other good places of refuge just waiting around to be picked *rahvin said while being taken away by his current winamp playlist* :)

rahvin.

I tried to enlighten a friend of mine yesterday. In the first minute she seemed to like the rythm and such, next comment was "boring" and "they all sound the same". She didn't seem to appreciate the vocals very much. Unfortunately, I have only Haven on cd, so i picked some songs from there. Anyway, she didn't have the patience or the will to pay attention to my music. It seems that she prefers more "easy listenings". I hate it when people are so superficial and don't take the time to listen something more difficult and hard to get into. Even though she's taking guitar lessons (still a beginner she is) she didn't listen to the riffs to see how different they are, she just came to the conclusion they all sound the same. When people are negative and don't want to open their minds and ears... :(
However, I'll try some more in the future with her, maybe give her a cd or something...
Ah, and one more comment she made: "it's ok but not for all hours". Go figure :D

@rahvin: You're probably right, but on the day I sent R.T. those two songs, I had just started being fascinated by Dissolution Factor Red (which I have known for many years but until recently considered a "minor" and not so interesting episode in the context of the whole album - while right now I'm even considering to propose it on the lyricanalysis thread as second one), so I was moved from some sort of sharing tendency, and about Scythe, Rage and Roses... well, I think it's the most near-to-punk thing DT have ever done, so I thought that even if R.T. ended up not being pleased by the perfection of its structure, at least the strong compactness and the overall brevity of the song could have avoided total boredom/annoyance.

@Rei Toei: and you're such a gentle person you're leaving this rich reward to someone else, I see.. I'm touched by your sensitiveness ;þ

Alfred (plus a couple of smiling and cheering yetis)

@Siren: do you by chance remember which ones?

Alfred

Edit: Which tracks you chose, not which hours DT are good for. Sorry, I was in a hurry :)

She didn't have the patience to listen to a whole song.
Anywayz, I definitely put on: Not built to last, Emptier Still and Haven. As for the rest I can't really tell.

As for the hours she wasn't specific :D

@siren: it's depressing to see how this thread is quickly becoming a battleground for losers. :cry:

@alfred: the lyrical analysis is ok, and i think all dt songs are worthy of praise. it's just that, no matter how much i might be fascinated by - say - dreamlore degenerate, i'm not going to introduce the band to a newbie with those 'borderline-songs' that might just make him/her raise suspicious eyebrows.
besides, the sun fired blanks is punker. :)

rahvin. (who's going to make an attempt next week, starting from auctioned and going all the way to on your time)

Auctioned is the best choice for a newbie, especially if he/she is not into metal.
I've already said a thousand times that this was the song that got me (a perhaps closed-minded but willing to open person at that time) into metal. :)