who did you enlighten today?

rahvin

keeper of the flame
Oct 10, 2001
safe but not far from the city
something to do in your free time. find a friend, relative, acquaintance, sworn enemy who's never heard anything by dt before and make him/her/it listen to some songs. post results here.

warning: this is not about how stupid people who don't listen to this kind of music might be. ;) so start out with an open mind: maybe they're going to like it.

rahvin. (posting useless stuff but at least soliciting people to go out and have some interesting near-life experience)

I let my beloved one listen to Haven (in particular: Feast of Burden, The Same and FABRIC). She liked it, but I see that people tends to find it difficult to appreciate Stanne's voice.
Oh, well, it's just a matter of getting used to it.

At the moment I'm enlightening myself :loco: (with a little bit help of course ;) )

Anywayz, I am aiming 2 people with my cds.
I promise to make them listen to DT no matter what.
If they do not accept voluntarily, I shall throw the cds to them and enlighten them by making them see little stars headbanging around their heads :D

Siren (wondering if any of this makes sense)

FatherVic: hey man! I'm just hooked by the DT forum there are so many ehmmm interesting ppl 'round there....

Barracus: Oh...ehmmm yeah! great whatever...is it cloudy isn't it???
*retal skeew emos* damn the board was upsite down!!
*some weeks later*

|ngenius (notice the change of the nick): hey, yep, the forum is nice!!!!! shame I don't know a fuck of this DT band!

FatherVic host: user: pass: port:21

|ngenius: I love ThereIn, Projector is a greeeeeeeeeeat album!!!!!!!!!

fathervic (more to come, I hope, you don't!)

/me not following FatherVics post.........:)

Attempted to enlighten a friend to At the Gates the other day, but sadly enough they could not appreciate Tompa's voice. The same with Soilwork.....the damn vocals. Eh.........I told my friend to go download Afraid to Shoot Strangers by Iron Maiden, hopefully I can make him a fan of that song hehe. Well SSEE!

@siren headbanging stars eh? Awesome, i see em all the time. and no you rpost made perfect sense...........but not litterally..........5 times that......

Final_Vision: Wondering if that made any sense........

@siren ..........unfortunately I think it made no sense.......but thanks for making me feel better about it! :)

@FV |ngenious......who is that.........? Barracus is one hell of a guy.........doesnt he go to school in London?

@F_V: It did make sense to me! :confused:
But then I'm not exactly the most rational creature on earth :loco:

Siren (politely requesting to stop that damn posting so she can finally go to sleep!!! :mad: )

:)p )

Edit: silly smilly

ALRIGHT! ALL OF UM MUST STOP POSTING! SIREN IS GOING TO SLEEP! eh.........it didnt work...........gotta try something else..........FREE COOKIES IN YOUR KITCHEN OR FOOD AREA! LEAVE THE COMPUTER NOW!!!!!!!!

Oh well.........just sleep at the computer hehe.......

how ODD that you bring this up. by the way, did you not get the email, and PM (entitled, re: patience :lol: ) responses i sent...uhm... a while ago? :confused:

as for the enlightenment...

i have performed this experiment already and i have a story for you, Rahvi.

a new car purchased in May of last year came with a CD player. the previous car simply had a tape deck. as you can probably imagine, i don't listen to tapes that often anymore...and i have mass quantities of them! (used to tape all my vinyl recordings and then CDs for mobile travel.) :)

anyway, my ex-husband, who'd never EVER heard of SMDM before, is kind of a handyman. he likes to work in the yard and in the garage on his cars an' stuff like that. he has a tape player out in the garage. one day i had the brilliant idea of sharing some of my surplus of tapes. i gave him some DT, IF, AE, Opeth, Carcass and some other goodies. mostly all of the early-to-midland stuff, too, except for the AE/Carcass and i also threw in Projector. i told him if he liked any of the tapes that he'd have to go out and buy the latest releases. :heh: after several weeks had passed, the next time i talked to him, his reaction when asked if he liked any of the stuff i'd given him was:

"yeah, it's good...if you like being bashed in the head with a sledgehammer."

:confused:

i asked him "alright, how many times...?" and "did you really 'listen' to them?"

response: "listened once. that was enough."

:rolleyes:

and this was coming from THE SAME GUY who rarely went to shows with me in the 80's but nowadays goes to see stuff like Megadeth, Priest, and Metallica (among others, metal and non-metal).

:devil: :lol:

i'll bet you a macadamia nut cannolli if he got one of those recordings (eg, TJR) on CD and "spent some quality time with it" he'd be hooked. =)

Originally posted by rahvin
something to do in your free time. find a friend, relative, acquaintance, sworn enemy who's never heard anything by dt before and make him/her/it listen to some songs. post results here.

warning: this is not about how stupid people who don't listen to this kind of music might be. ;) so start out with an open mind: maybe they're going to like it.

rahvin. (posting useless stuff but at least soliciting people to go out and have some interesting near-life experience)

@siren: the road to enlightenment is uneven and long. as far as sme rusty hooks tell me, there's many a band you could use some enlightening to... ;) we'll see.
what you wrote made sense to me, and i am exactly the most rational creature on earth. :cool: :p

@fathervic: wow, your phrasing on that first post in this thread was absolutely brilliant, a rare example of true post-modern art :)

@wildfyr:
1. i got your pm and i recall it said you had to take your time for an answer about the 9/11 stuff, so i just... ahem... waited? the email i can't recall getting, really.
2. i like ppl with a story for me. ;)
3. there is nothing wrong with being bashed in the head with a sledgehammer. it happened to me before and i proudly display the results here. :) :)
4. one would wonder why you got married in the first place: i couldn't spend a w-e with someone who don't like, say, auctioned. i presume when you got married projector wasn't around yet, but that's not really the point. :p however, it seems to me he might just be a little slow to catch up with what you might come up with. maybe with time it'll happen the same as with *sighs* metallica gigs.
5. i don't like that much sweet stuff. can't we bet something else? :)

rahvin.

i've gotten (forcivly, once or twice) pretty much all my friends to listen to stuff like dark tranquillity, the haunted, metally type stuff ect.
often get "it's ok, but i can't stand the vocals", or "that's just pointless random thrashing of instruments & tuneless growling" (my friends are mostly metally handicapped:)). the most interest i've gotten from friends has been the new arch enemy cd (wages of sin), responses being..."OMG, that's a chick? i gotta get this..." not quite positive though...
i think the best enlightenment for people like this is through violence...

enlightement through violence is indeed something rahvin knows (cough sledgehammer cough) but it's not my way...
Normally I don't bother in spreading the word. If there's someone who doesn't like I asume it's normal since normaly I don't like the music he/she either. I got enlightened by myself so I think is the best way, to see light accidentaly.

rahvin: well then guess when I come some steps further and begin with my "cubist" posts!!! :)

fathervic [looking rather cubist in all senses]

Originally posted by FatherVic
rahvin: well then guess when I come some steps further and begin with my "cubist" posts!!! :)

will they be written in 3D? ;)
anyway, i merely wanted to know about your experiences in giving other people the chance to like dt, i wasn't assuming they were against it in the first place.

rahvin.

I tried to pass a couple of songs to a person I know (and which isn't totally horrified by death metal in general, e.g. this person enjoys Amorphis' "Elegy"), and the answer I received was "rather repetitive" and not that interesting. Then I got depressed and crawled in a corner sobbing :)
(fyi, the songs were "Dissolution Factor red" and "Scythe, Rage and Roses")
Oh, and my (two) goldfishes, too, seem not to have appreciated the dt experience :(

(unsuccessful) Alfred