Who is this generations Metallica/Maiden/Sabbath?

aliasp

Old School since '86
Oct 26, 2003
Ok been thinking about this lately (yes my head hurts). Given nearly every decade had it's defining metal bands, movement, etc - Sabbath, Priest, Maiden + Big 4... What we will say of this past decade? Who were the torchbearers?

I am struggling with this one to be honest, trying to come up with some names of new bands that we will say defined this past decade.

Thoughts?

I actually dont think there are the bands of that ilk nowadys sadly. There's newer leaders in the metal scene: Machine Head, Lamb of God being a couple, but these will never be the size of most of those that came through the 80s. I think the internet and different technology now plays a massive part in that.

I don't think there is any band out there at the level of Sabbath, Priest or Maiden. As far as the last few years go I would put Mastodon and Machine head up there. Even though Machine Head is technically a 90's metal band, they reinvented themselves and stepped it up a notch in the last few years.

EDIT: Fuck how can I forget Opeth, I need to be smacked upside the head for nor bringing them up.

Now regardless whether you're a fan of these I thought Lamb of God, System of a Down, Slipknot but like you all said - how do they rank up there against even more recent metal bands like the Big 4.

Perhaps we might have to wait another decade before we get another ground breaking band(s) that we will look back on and say `Wow'.

i'm not to keen on most newer bands, i think even the best ones out of them are just a modern copy of Priest, Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth,...

IN FLAMES is probably the biggest metal band of the past decade.

This one is very simple there are a few:

PANTERA - Maybe not of this decade per-se but they are the only band that revolutionized heavy metal music as we know it today.

KORN - They basically started the nu-metal movement, despite what you may think of it they create an entirely new 'metal' culture and almost all 'metal' bands used some of their sound including Sepultura, Anthrax, Machine Head etc.

No other bands have had more profound significance on metal music since Maiden/Sabbath etc.

Pantera, Korn, In Flames, Hammerfall and At The Gates. The first four are known outside the metal community.

Pantera for their work in the 90´s when people loved to declare the death of harsh music.
Korn are the biggest nu-metal band.
In Flames for fusing together several styles of metal (alloy) into the Gotheburg sound and being the forefathers of death-core and so on.
Hammerfall was the first band in new NWOBHM wave which started in the late 90's. I don't know how big they are in the US and Canada, in Europe, Asia, South America they are huge.

At The Gates influenced many musicians and I think their impact on how metal is written and played is even bigger than Pantera albeit not as popular among casual listeners.

Has to be Slipknot (mores the pity)

Music has exponentially diversified over the years meaning that it's become more diluted - those sort of bands just dont happen any more.

Anyone else thing Aanthrax Mosher has anger issues?.

The op is asking for this generation's Metallica/Maiden/Sabbath and most of the responses have been showing the ages of the posters....I like most of the bands listed but it seems every "answer" has been deeply entrenched in the 90's and not within the last 10 years.....This generation's big band (if there will be one) is going to be the one who shows the ability to go the distance....Avenged Sevenfold (yeah I know....laughable) is definitely among those for the "Metallica"....Disturbed and Sevendust could find themselves in that running if they keep up the steamroller they've started for themselves.....I'm thinking Primal Fear for the "Maiden" because, like Maiden, they receive little notice in the U.S. but are huge everywhere else......Queens Of the Stone Age for the "Sabbath" only because they are taking avant-garde/stoner metal in brand new directions.