Who is this generations Metallica/Maiden/Sabbath?

You guys hold the big 4 in much higher regards than they deserve. What Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Venom did for heavy metal topples anything the big 4 did. Especially since there were thrash bands before Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax.

Recent bands that have defined new genres and broadened the definition of Heavy Metal.

Opeth
Agalloch
Shining (SWE)
^ does anyone sound like those bands? They are changing how bands approach music
Thergothon

Skepticism
^ Defined a new Genre

Ludicra
Mar De Grises
Warning
^ Although the fit into their own respective genres they are doing things within those styles that has never been done before

Blood of the Black Owl
Fauna
Echtra
^ Changing what is considered metal and defining a new genre

You guys are thinking way to much in terms of Popularity, you don't have to be popular to change music. I bet none of you have listened to Thergothon, yet, they have influenced hundreds of bands across the entire world.

You guys are a joke, my first and last time visiting the Anthrax forum.

Don't know much about what you said. But I do agree that people hold the big 4 bands like they are gods. Metallica I can care less about, Megadeth can care less about. Slayer is one of my favorite bands ever. Anthrax had a few amazing thrash records before Bushthrax took over.

So I do generally agree about people holding these 'big 4' bands too highly. There are plenty of bands that are equally as good but don't get the attention of the big 4.

its basically called the big four because those bands were the 4 biggest selling acts of that type of music that was created,doesnt mean there the best just they were the most popular,i aint a massive fan of metallica slayer or megadeth.

You guys hold the big 4 in much higher regards than they deserve. What Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Venom did for heavy metal topples anything the big 4 did. Especially since there were thrash bands before Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax.

Recent bands that have defined new genres and broadened the definition of Heavy Metal.

Opeth
Agalloch
Shining (SWE)
^ does anyone sound like those bands? They are changing how bands approach music
Thergothon

Skepticism
^ Defined a new Genre

Ludicra
Mar De Grises
Warning
^ Although the fit into their own respective genres they are doing things within those styles that has never been done before

Blood of the Black Owl
Fauna
Echtra
^ Changing what is considered metal and defining a new genre

You guys are thinking way to much in terms of Popularity, you don't have to be popular to change music. I bet none of you have listened to Thergothon, yet, they have influenced hundreds of bands across the entire world.

You guys are a joke, my first and last time visiting the Anthrax forum.

225 posts but that was your first and last visit? :Smug:

@Maidenfan: do you like 'Master Of Puppets' or do you think it's overrated?

It personally doesn't do all that much for me to be honest. I see why people love it, but for me personally yes it is very overrated. I would take any early Testament album, Slayer, Exodus, Kreator etc any day.

Overrated? Well it certainly isn't underrated. Just about every metal magazine or website will say Master of Puppets one of, if not THE best metal album of all time. For me it's not. So yes I would say it is overrated.

Metallica in general is extremely overrated to me. I think it is just wrong that Slayer opens up for Metallica. If I was in Slayer i'd tell those sell out pussies in Metallica to go fuck off. But it is a huge draw and all of the bands on this big 4 will earn a decent pay check

Totally agree with you maidenfan. Master of Muppets isn't underrated. A strong album though.

.I think the death of Burton also helped this album to grown into the media more. And the more media attention, the more an album grows into the crowds.
I remember I loved the album as a kid remembering every word, beat and cord played on it. But looking back it wasn't such a devastating good album like for example reign in blood from that year, or somewhere in time.

I just can't stand the drums.

I love the drums on And Justice For All. When you play that album in a good system the drums are fuckin awesome sounding. The kick drum 'thumps' and makes up for a lack of bass (which I personally don't mind). Nerdy musicians will listen to Justice and say "oh there is no bass" but I don't give a shit. The guitars and Drum sound to me is perfect sounding

And Justice For All is by far my favorite Metallica album and one that I would consider 'amazing'

I love the drums on And Justice For All. When you play that album in a good system the drums are fuckin awesome sounding. The kick drum 'thumps' and makes up for a lack of bass (which I personally don't mind). Nerdy musicians will listen to Justice and say "oh there is no bass" but I don't give a shit. The guitars and Drum sound to me is perfect sounding

And Justice For All is by far my favorite Metallica album and one that I would consider 'amazing'

No 'Kill Em All'? Theres something about the raw heavyness and speed of that album that keeps it up there. Might be my fav one.

We're on the same page for once. :kickass:

and justice for all is the metallica album i most listened to.

Agreed on all fronts. Justice is easily my favourite Metallica album.

+
Cool! finally something Stormwatch, Maidenhead & i can agree on, 'Justice' is Metallica's Masterpiece. also manthatfollowshell, aliasp & mrthrax like it, looks like it's the Metallica album for Anthrax fans.