Who is this generations Metallica/Maiden/Sabbath?

@Keoll I don't mind the others talking previous decades.

Some good answers here.

... also SOAD. They were a big part of the metal scene in the 2000-2010 era. They had some great stuff, although thier best stuff was from '98.
If the question is, who were the biggest metal bands of 2000-2010, SOAD and Mastodon have to be on the list!

Have you guys heard black tide? I'm new to the forum but they shred equal to metallica of the 80s. Very talented very young and very under rated in my opinion

i think the thing thats hard about these younger bands is that its all really been done b4,u dont get much better than pantera,all these younger bands just sound like ripoffs,very hard to create something fresh these days.

i think the thing thats hard about these younger bands is that its all really been done b4,u dont get much better than pantera,all these younger bands just sound like ripoffs,very hard to create something fresh these days.

Well said! I agree.

I think if you take your question literally, there will never be a band from this generation that can be called the new Maiden or Black Sabbath. They are founders of a music stream that is unique and formed the base for a lot of side branches in the tree of metal, but the base put up by bands like a Maiden, Anthrax, Metallica, Black Sabbath etc.

Unless a band comes with a COMPLETE different sound and different tone to the music it can be compared to one of these. But then we wouldn’t call it metal anymore.

Look at classic music, like a Mozart, Bach, Wagner or Beethoven. They founded it, and although after them came a legion of other musicians up to today, they where and are the real deal when you talk about classical composers.

In metal no one is going to top the big 4, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Pantera etc. Simply, because as mrthrax already said, it has been done already.
And if a band makes something that hasn’t been done yet I doubt if we would still call it metal.

The one other standout band that may or may not fit into this discussion that no-one has mentioned yet is Tool.

For me they are totally innovative, heavy, and not to mention pretty damn huge. Great band.

When it comes to innovative bands one sticks out for me - but they aren't metal.

The Mars Volta

Then again I know a lot of their sound is a real throw back to older 70s prog rock.

Having seen them live I will admit that Cedric & Omar are off world aliens living amongst us mere humans. Incredibly gifted musicians and performers.

Anyway that's a bit off topic.

Although I haven't liked their last couple of releases or recent direction, Opeth are a pretty popular, decent band with a great back catalogue. I have a feeling they'll become legends, whether that's a deserved accolade or not.

You guys hold the big 4 in much higher regards than they deserve. What Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Venom did for heavy metal topples anything the big 4 did. Especially since there were thrash bands before Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax.

Recent bands that have defined new genres and broadened the definition of Heavy Metal.

Opeth
Agalloch
Shining (SWE)
^ does anyone sound like those bands? They are changing how bands approach music
Thergothon

Skepticism
^ Defined a new Genre

Ludicra
Mar De Grises
Warning
^ Although the fit into their own respective genres they are doing things within those styles that has never been done before

Blood of the Black Owl
Fauna
Echtra
^ Changing what is considered metal and defining a new genre

You guys are thinking way to much in terms of Popularity, you don't have to be popular to change music. I bet none of you have listened to Thergothon, yet, they have influenced hundreds of bands across the entire world.

You guys are a joke, my first and last time visiting the Anthrax forum.

You guys hold the big 4 in much higher regards than they deserve. What Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Venom did for heavy metal topples anything the big 4 did. Especially since there were thrash bands before Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax.

Recent bands that have defined new genres and broadened the definition of Heavy Metal.

Opeth
Agalloch
Shining (SWE)
^ does anyone sound like those bands? They are changing how bands approach music
Thergothon

Skepticism
^ Defined a new Genre

Ludicra
Mar De Grises
Warning
^ Although the fit into their own respective genres they are doing things within those styles that has never been done before

Blood of the Black Owl
Fauna
Echtra

You guys are thinking way to much in terms of Popularity, you don't have to be popular to change music. I bet none of you have listened to Thergothon, yet, they have influenced hundreds of bands across the entire world.

dont let the door kick u in the ass on the way out

I've never heard of any of those fucking bands you listed
+
how can bands that no one knows broaden the definition of Heavy Metal?:lol: the question is 'Who is this generations Metallica/Maiden/Sabbath?'
answer: Agalloch, Shining, Skepticism, Ludicra, Mar De Grises, Fauna, Electra:lol::lol::lol: a band needs to be bigger to be influential.

Opeth
Agalloch
Shining (SWE)
Thergothon

Skepticism
^ Defined a new Genre

Ludicra
Mar De Grises
Warning

Blood of the Black Owl
Fauna
Echtra

See ya asshole :loco:

Opeth

Yeah, no one ever did that heavy/clean thing in a song until Opeth showed up. Led Zeppelin never even existed with their "light and shade" dynamics.

While I also named Opeth in this thread, to say they're changing how bands approach music is laughable. In what way are Opeth changing things? By interesting people in 40 year old prog rock like Camel! :lol: