Why do all bands turn to sh**?

I can say they aren't samey because there *have* been stylistic shifts and there *is* variation in structure. Firstly, sure they don't change genres every album or something, but if the changes between Morningrise and MAYH or Deliverance/Damnation and Ghost Reveries aren't enough to say a band isn't "samey", then I'm afraid nearly every metal band you listen to is probably samey as fuck...I mean what do they have to do to not be samey, go from trip-hop to death metal to post-rock all in a few albums or something? Secondly, for the structure, the argument that poorly structured songs have no structure is just dumb; sure there's very little verse-chorus stuff going on and some of the parts are disjointed, but there's great differences from song to song if you actually pay attention to it.

I really can't be bothered to listen to Opeth enough to become familiar enough with the songs to tell the difference between them. Also, I'm referring to Still Life/MAYH/GR/BP/the new one. I've listened to all of those at least twice except Ghost Reveries because it was just shit, and I can't see any stylistic difference, just a difference in mood created by the different productions. I think SL/MAYH/BP are all solid albums worth putting on once in a while, but there's no stylistic difference.

Also, I wasn't just saying that the songs are poorly structured, I was saying they don't use any conventional structure or even anything close to such.

Only good Opeth song is Leper Affinity or whatever the fuck it's called.

Other than that fuck that shit band.

I really can't be bothered to listen to Opeth enough to become familiar enough with the songs to tell the difference between them. Also, I'm referring to Still Life/MAYH/GR/BP/the new one. I've listened to all of those at least twice except Ghost Reveries because it was just shit, and I can't see any stylistic difference, just a difference in mood created by the different productions. I think SL/MAYH/BP are all solid albums worth putting on once in a while, but there's no stylistic difference.

Also, I wasn't just saying that the songs are poorly structured, I was saying they don't use any conventional structure or even anything close to such.

I agree with the second point, but I don't think that makes them more samey - their structure is still as varied as most decent bands regardless of whether or not the structure or lack thereof gives the listener a headache.

And as someone that actually learned like half of Opeth's songs on guitar before getting bored enough to get into more metal, I can assure you there are stylistic differences; they are certainly just minor tweaks but really, I wouldn't say Slayer or w/e did a whole lot more from album to album (that's not a knock on Slayer, but rather a general fact about most metal music imo...and most music period if you think about it).

The Deathspell Omega comment from whoever that was really threw me off..if the change from SMRC to Fas isn't noticeable variation, I don't know what the fuck is.

Deathspell Omega are too plodding. Haven't listened to Fas cos I've been told that I'd hate it.77 minutes is just a bit tto much to sit through. The same applies to Summoning and their marathon-length albums.Or any bands that are too technical.

Not too technical+not too plodding=golden.

See, attention span is everything and mine is waning.

Opeth is all rather samey. They are the Deathspell Omega of fake prog metal. But BWP is sometimes pretty good for nostalgic reasons.

I was talking about this....you can say they're plodding all you want, I'm focusing on any implication that they're samey post-SMRC being utter bullshit.

See, attention span is everything and mine is waning.

My attention span isn't as high as it used to be either.

When I first started buying CDs I would be incredibly disappointed if an album was only 45 minutes in length. At the time I guess I was spoiled by certain bands and preferred it if albums were at least an hour long. Of course, back then I had more time on my hands and didn't listen to that many bands.

oh right! I thought that was like saying "god that's so retarded I won't even dignify it with a real response." my bad

Nah, means "Yeah! I agree, but I'm too fucking lazy to type the whole thing out."