Why do people hate COB?

You just need to listen to it without the previous albums or even a 'metal feeling' in mind. It's their weakest album, but I do enjoy it very much. But I enjoy the new Moonsorrow a bit more.

I have no problem with approaching music without the "metal feeling" in mind considering I listen to a lot of music that is not metal. Actually my second favorite genre is folk/medieval European music which is quite drastically different from metal in sound.

But I just cannot shake the weird vibe I get from this album. Maybe it is the mix with the Soviet style artwork. Uggg.... don't make me puke.

i started not liking COB around when Blooddrunk came out

Blooddrunk shook me a bit in terms of enjoying it but it grew on me alot, i just accept there styles changed and its still good (for me).

Majority of my mates who dislike Bodom have a dislike for the keyboard in music and many of the complaints come to live shows for how "sloppy" they seem to be. Sometimes you can tell when Alexi's not at his best etc but ive found lately theyve put on some great shows.

The first Turisas album was awesome. Very fucking epic but the second and now this one just don't do it for me. I can find my epicness else where thank you.

Hmm, these guys are fucking incredible live, their gig was some of the most fun I've ever had at one (maybe third after Diablo Swing Orchestra and Obituary). They put up a great show. But I just can't get into their music - not that it's bad. It's just that after all the Finnish legends like Ensiferum or Korpiklaani, they just don't quite keep up musically.

I think COB has done great music during their career. I'm in the ones who thinks the Old was better than the New stuff, of course. But I recently listened tho the new album (In fact that is why I got back here), and found it really nice, better than the previous one AYDY, which I didn't really listen to hardfuly.

In fact, i'm surprised that they reach that point, their popularity is so damn big in the World.

Dohh, it was Blood drunk their previous ahaha damn. Anyway I think AYDY is the one that shouldn't have been produced. I don't want to make ppl angry with the fact that I really dis this album

I'm 49 years old and a metalhead from way, way back in the day. I've been to hundreds of shows
starting with my first back in 1976. I'm in no way an expert on music so I can only rely on my many
years of experience. That being said, Children Of Bodom are one the finest bands I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. I'm a carpenter so I listen to alot of music while working and I have listened to COB at least once every week for the last 6 years. I do not get tired of hearing them.
I don't get into the "old versus new" argument. All their music sounds good to me. I think the reason
some people don't like COB is just a matter of taste. COB need to grow on you and in this day and age many people, especially younger people don't want to take the time. I've never seen COB live
and I hope to this year. I even introduced my 17 year old daughter to COB and she in turn introduced
part of her high school to them.

:kickass:

I think the reason
some people don't like COB is just a matter of taste

wow.genius.

COB need to grow on you and in this day and age many people, especially younger people don't want to take the time.
I kinda disagree since the new stuff is much "easier" to listen to/get into as their old stuff is, which is somehow preferred by most of the trve cult fans.

I really don't know why COB is such hated band. On one side, you have the clubbers who, I must admit, sometimes dances on some catchy songs. On the other side, you have those OMGCANNIBALCORPSE metalheads who finds COB is not enough br00tal. First, my best bet is that people focus too much on lyrics, which are not really understandable in the case of COB (at least for the non-native english speakers). Mabye it's not the case in Europe because I heard people over there prefers melodies to lyrics. Now, about aggressiveness, it is true. When I first listened to COB, I was like "Damn! It's so aggressive and fast-paced!" and I considered Alexi's voice as an instrument. Just keep listening to it and your aggressive music standard gains quite a level. Going from pop/dance music to COB metal isn't something easy to do if you're not forced to. Make them listen to high tempo techno, classical music, video game music and the Pet Shop Boys and I'm sure they will be able to develop a taste for Bodom.

I'm no sociologist/psychologist so obviously, it's all stated as MY opinion.

EDIT: There's also another aspect: People who don't have musical ears will have trouble dealing with COB.

No one who listens to death metal calls themselves br00talz, scrub. Way to make a generalization.

Personally, I like Children Of Bodom. Their melodies are nice, and they are a lot of fun to play on the guitar.

I think the point with COB is that Alexi is now way too praised and some people don't like that. I think this band had their peak during the Hatebreeder/Follow The Reaper era. Now it's just going downward in quality. His voice is getting bad, Alexi doesn't play in the way he used to, their sound is quite shitty actually. Personally, I still love them but I can see that the band is not going foward with the musical direction they have taken. And Now alexi is praised as the best metal guitar ever by his fanbase (which is really big for a metal band and mostly very young). For most people I think COB is now a band for heavy metal beginner and to see alexi getting such exposure is frustrating for fans of guitar player like Vai, Satriani, Petrucci, Sfogli, Morse, Gilbert, Broderick and Loomis which are like hundred times better and tighter than Laiho.

I don't know who's the best guitarist, but I know who's the best songwriter-guitarist-vocalist. That's how they should be talking about Laiho, not merely as a guitarist, for fuck's sake. Of course you're only supposed to be good in your genre, if a rapper hears some COB he won't even notice the music. Even I kinda hated COB at 14, before someone struck the metal fist up my ass one drunken night at the lake.

It's difficult enough for someone who does not understand the instruments to appreciate COB. Sounds come and go as one big mess, solos make no sense at all... Of course the first step is to stop listening only to lyrics and the disco melody, most never get past that.

if a rapper hears some COB he won't even notice the music.

129069657502085211.jpg

Can you at least take part in this gay conversation and not just flame, right when we were actually joined by an adult member you had to smoke him out too.

it's not flaming, I was expressing my opinion about your statement. So anyone from some genre can just see the ''beauty'' of his own favourite music and otherwise doesnt realise the good stuff in the genres? And didnt 'smoke' anyone out, his statements weren't much better than yours, its not my fault that he's gone :lol:

It's that a fan of metal genre focuses more on the music and thus sees nothing special about rap musically, while a rap guy only cares to say "crappy vocals" about COB. I wish they could realize the good things in other genres, and not just say "this is bad." Like what is bad, the music? "...oh well they do play alright." It doesn't matter tho, some people are simple and can't analyze.