Why does happy music suck?

Originally posted by Don Corleone
well, belial, dont you think this is also a matter of personality, general look on life, etc.? i mean, could you possibly expect a funny, happy guy like, i dont know man....oh yeah jerry seinfeld? would you expect him to like gothic/ doomy stuff?
He could... Unless you know him personally (and perhaps not even then) you could never really know what his thoughts are... He may dispise his life... I'm like that... When I'm around friends and family or just anybody really, I seem like I'm in a good mood... I'll make jokes (in my own special way) and make people laugh... Very rarely do I sulk around... I just don't like to make the people around me feel miserable... This may be a bad thing, because nobody really knows that I'm REALLY down, so I don't get encouragment from anybody... Then again, maybe I'm just stupid...

Originally posted by Demonspell
It's hard to sound happy while playing in minor keys, and nearly impossible with harsh vocals...

Na, its easy, its only hard if you play minor keys by the rules ( meaning either going up and down the scale a lot or more complex progressions build mainly around root 4ths and 5th using everything else but not to end. )

The minor scale is basically identical to a mayor scale only starting at the 6th. Its just another mode, and everyone knows that all modes can eventually end up sounding like mayor scales if you are too crazy and dont follow some basic rules that actually gives you the mode sound.

Originally posted by Oyo
Joohnnn COlllttrrrannnnneeee

WTF are you kidding me? John Coltrane wasnt a happy music composer exclusively, he had ALOT of sad songs, my god have you ever listened to alabama? everytime we say goodbye? Crescent?. People can get the wrong impression for stuff like this, you should point a song next time you wanna recomend ( i would personally recomend Giant Steps, a bit overlistened but its a masterpiece of happy melodies and improvisation nonetheless )

Originally posted by YourFuneral

He could... Unless you know him personally (and perhaps not even then) you could never really know what his thoughts are... He may dispise his life... I'm like that... When I'm around friends and family or just anybody really, I seem like I'm in a good mood... I'll make jokes (in my own special way) and make people laugh... Very rarely do I sulk around... I just don't like to make the people around me feel miserable... This may be a bad thing, because nobody really knows that I'm REALLY down, so I don't get encouragment from anybody... Then again, maybe I'm just stupid...

no, you missed my point. you say you seem happy with your friends, but youre actually down...now that is actually your general look on life, your temperament, not which mask you put on for other people. and you seem to be a very thoughtful person since you dont want to make someone else miserable. im like that too, i usually dont mention much to my friends and just go home and put a goth cd and there...this is what i want.

Two excellent bands come to the front of my mind when thinking about 'happy music' ~ Dream Theater and Spock's Beard ~ and they don't suck, I repeat do not suck.