why does jonas suck so much live

affinityband said:
Your joking? I love Katatonia alot, they are one of the strongest most original and consistant acts in todays modern metal. But honestly that doesnt sound great at all.
I'm seriously not joking...
I expected him to sing really out of tune or something because of what you said... but the tune is great

Oh, and am I the only one here who fucking likes that jonas isn't jumping around and playing airguitar?

Katatonia's stage performance is exactly what I like with this kind of music/lyrics...

"but it takes away from the live experience when he just stands in one place and tries to hide behind his hair."

that's what I like about him...

i felt the same about Jonas and his shyness on stage, then i realized: what could he possibly do on stage?
it's not like Katatonia is a death metal band where you would expect the singer to headbang and run around on stage. It's best if Jonas just stays put and does what he loves best, pocket slapping.

:)

Vincent J. said:
I'm seriously not joking...
I expected him to sing really out of tune or something because of what you said... but the tune is great

But dude, not one note was even close to being in tune. At all. And i love them, really i do. I would say 'marry me' to all of them. But you just gotta admitt that it was just completely sub par.

so, im here reporting from the Toronto gig... the concert ruled... the technical stuff was fucked up... so the voices were a lil bit lower... the sound was really dull it didnt make justice to katatonia at all...oh btw Jonas IS sick thus no performance of murder or rainroom since he's throat is like really bad...omg it was so awesome none the less
long live katatonia :D

I think now this thread goes much better than initial, I think to comment on Jonas's stage presence is ok but the orginal poster was absolutely not knowing the basic manner to peoples, so disrepectful.

anyway I do agree with the original poster about Jonas sung out of tune problems, I watched alot bootlegs video of Katatonia and even the black session DVD. I found Jonas really sung out of tunes quite often but I don't care man, live is not supposed to be technically perfect, the live performance is meant to deliver the LIVE feeling from the band's music. Frankly, I think some minor errors could made me feel more LIVE.

about Jonas "stiff" on stage, hmm I don't know, I just think if he acts hyper at the gig and that would really ruins Katatonia's atmosphere.
I understand some peoples like more interacting frontman but I don't and I don't feel Katatonia needs that. anyway this is all about personal taste.

LillaFetknoppen said:
I had a chat with his GF last night and he caught a bad cold.

Still I have to cred the band for performing instead of cancelling when there are health issues...

Did you talk with Linn?I am Jan perhaps you remember me.I have got a pic.Did you talk with linn or this girl in the pic that i forgot her name.

hahjf6.jpg

derbeder said:
jonas doesn't have to (and really shouldn't) dance. but that doesn't mean he he has to stand still and not seem really involved. you can sing depressing songs and still have a stage presence without moving around a whole lot- eg. john holmes from paradise lost. aaron from my dying bride puts on a show for instance, though it might not be to everyone's taste. i enjoyed watching him sing (rather than just hearing him) even though it was a little cheesy in parts.

That's just stupid
I'm there to listen to the band, not to watch the singer put up a visual entertainment show

Cerulean said:
That's just stupid
I'm there to listen to the band, not to watch the singer put up a visual entertainment show
i find it stunning that people find this so hard to understand. some frontman have charisma and this adds to the concert experience. to have that charisma you don't have to jump around and make weird moves (eg. aaron stainthorpe makes too many weird moves). what i am saying is that jonas seems too shy and reserved on the stage to have that charisma.

you can listen to the band with great a hi-fi system at home with no disturbance from around. indeed katatonia sounds much better that way. a concert is something different. interacting with the band on stage and the audience makes it a more special experience - for me at least.

It's KATATONIA, enough said.
I love how they keep a low profile instead of behaving like the uber rockstars they aren't.
Besides, Jones his attitude totally fits the music.

But hey, it's just my opinion you know

derbeder said:
i find it stunning that people find this so hard to understand. some frontman have charisma and this adds to the concert experience. to have that charisma you don't have to jump around and make weird moves (eg. aaron stainthorpe makes too many weird moves). what i am saying is that jonas seems too shy and reserved on the stage to have that charisma.

you can listen to the band with great a hi-fi system at home with no disturbance from around. indeed katatonia sounds much better that way. a concert is something different. interacting with the band on stage and the audience makes it a more special experience - for me at least.

What the hell do you suggest then? No live gigs? Change the singer? GFYS (This one's for all_sins_undone, as he seems to be so fond of those abbreviations. Figure it out, please, I made it myself. So proud, finally becoming a true nerd.)

My point: Cut the bitching if you don't have anything better to say. If you don't like them live, don't see them. I'm pretty sure the man's not going to change to please you. For the love of Jesus's hairy ballz...

P.S. Gosh darnit, ain't I nu-metallish with all this cursing.

affinityband said:
But dude, not one note was even close to being in tune. At all. And i love them, really i do. I would say 'marry me' to all of them. But you just gotta admitt that it was just completely sub par.

Yeah, he was completely off key...people in this forum need to be more critical. No offence to anyone because most of the folks here are really cool.

Cerulean said:
It's KATATONIA, enough said.
I love how they keep a low profile instead of behaving like the uber rockstars they aren't.
Besides, Jones his attitude totally fits the music.

But hey, it's just my opinion you know

Agreed. Really like the way Jonas behaves onstage.

Argyle said:
What the hell do you suggest then? No live gigs? Change the singer? GFYS (This one's for all_sins_undone, as he seems to be so fond of those abbreviations. Figure it out, please, I made it myself. So proud, finally becoming a true nerd.)

My point: Cut the bitching if you don't have anything better to say. If you don't like them live, don't see them. I'm pretty sure the man's not going to change to please you. For the love of Jesus's hairy ballz...

P.S. Gosh darnit, ain't I nu-metallish with all this cursing.

yeah i am telling the band to kick out jonas and hire me as a singer. :Smug:

there is nothing wrong with criticising something about the band. some people here need to be a little less fanboish.

i aint play this said:
Yeah, he was completely off key...people in this forum need to be more critical. No offence to anyone because most of the folks here are really cool.

When you think about it, Mr. Renkse would probably be the first one to admit when he's not in key. That's just something that happens when you do live shows. No one's perfect. And I for one, wouldn't even dream going on stage to do somethng like clean vocals, with the complexity of Katatonia vocs, never. But in my opinion live shows aren't supposed to be perfect. You are there for the atmosphere and to see some of your favourite tunes with some room for the musicians to mess around with.