why does jonas suck so much live

many good singers do not (often) wander off-key in concert. singers in metal bands tend not to be on key all the time, though. that's why i love anneke from the gathering even more when i saw her in concert.

derbeder said:
yeah i am telling the band to kick out jonas and hire me as a singer. :Smug:

there is nothing wrong with criticising something about the band. some people here need to be a little less fanboish.
Oh, the almighty fanboy-card. That's one of the lamest things to pull out on a conversation, seriously. Nothing wrong with critique, nope. I just don't see who it helps, except your aching soul maybe, when you whine about not getting the moshing, crowd surfing leader of the band you wanted. The man has a style of his own, and I respect it, altough it isn't always the best thing live. Suits the mood of the music though.

Argyle said:
Nothing wrong with critique, nope. I just don't see who it helps, except your aching soul maybe, when you whine about not getting the moshing, crowd surfing leader of the band you wanted.QUOTE]

the criticism doesn't need to help

and wtf about moshing???

derbeder said:
Argyle said:
Nothing wrong with critique, nope. I just don't see who it helps, except your aching soul maybe, when you whine about not getting the moshing, crowd surfing leader of the band you wanted.QUOTE]

the criticism doesn't need to help

and wtf about moshing???

When criticism isn't constructive I consider it whining.

Yeah, sorry, Jonas does mosh, where's the problem?

Venenum Veritas said:
. It's best if Jonas just stays put and does what he loves best, pocket slapping.

:)

Yes! Pocketslapping , I noticed that too, wonderfull!!
Katatonia is introvert music, the lyrics are introvert , the way jonas is on stage is just the way he is, I loved it , loved seeing his hair instead of his face, call me a fan girl. Yes, I am a fan of the music and the stage behaviour.
I love standing in the crowd and feeling the same kind of introvert feelings I have at home while wandering around in my own head.I forget the world around me, just listen and get caught up in the music. And I feel that Jonas is doing the same thing on stage .
He isnt the sort of singer that will try to "sell" his music, he isnt "charismatic" in the way some of you like to see it , but that's just your taste, its not a flaw in his qualities as a frontman, he is a different kind of frontman for its a different kind of music.
I can see that Jonas is in the music and feeling it just as much as any other more extrovert singer would be just by pocketslapping.

And for the starter of this thread , bah , you're just trying to be tough or whatever with your insulting other forum members and saying "deal with it" ...
Yes we can deal with respectfull critisism ,just not with people who can only express their opinion in the way your doing it. You're just being hurtfull for no reason.

About Jonas live, when I saw him, 3 times last spring, it was absolutely freaking great!
Too bad that you caught him on a bad night... Deal . With . It.

Aye that make sense.
Jonas is just looking to crowd like a puppy when he is singing.Its just like he is telling his stories with a plain style.I think its more than an "entertainment".With crowd we feel same when we listen katatonia.I think he is not lying to crowd with pre-prepared stage shows and activties before shows.If you dont like it dont listen....Its the Katatonia way.

i aint play this said:
Yeah, he was completely off key...people in this forum need to be more critical. No offence to anyone because most of the folks here are really cool.
WHAT...

ok, I need opinions from others now, before I lose my mind....

*listens to it again*

it may be a little unclean (A LITTLE) but he's hitting the right notes in the right tune......
I don't know what the hell you two are talking about:(

so again, please someone, comment on the vocals in this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-TFJggTp_mM

Juniper said:
Hmm well I'v listend to it, I like it actually, don't think it's bad at all , but yeah I'v heard him do that song better.
And I know you did too Vincent ;)
yeah indeed I did:)
but to say it is 'completely off key'...
That's sooo not true... (imo.....as far as this is about opinion)

Vincent J. said:
WHAT...

ok, I need opinions from others now, before I lose my mind....

*listens to it again*

it may be a little unclean (A LITTLE) but he's hitting the right notes in the right tune......
I don't know what the hell you two are talking about:(

so again, please someone, comment on the vocals in this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-TFJggTp_mM

I think the beginning get's fucked up because of the mix. The backing vocals Anders does are on top, and they are seriously not supposed to. It's definetily not one of their best live performances. The chorus kicks in out of tune as he tries to make it sound more aggressive. Is he drunk? That's something people tend to do drunk i think...

It has been said he had a cold and that in most of the shows the sound was bad. I guess it´s really difficult to sing in tune in those conditions, so maybe you cought him on a bad night.
Most of the people here who has seen him several times live can assure that he accomplish his vocal duties in an excellent way. I remember a couple of shows were he did mistakes, but the same could be said about Anders and the others..well it´s normal that sometimes you are not 100% in perfect shape and sometimes it is due to external circumstances as a shitty sound and venue, etc. Moreover for a singer is more difficult because his instrument is his own voice and it can be easily ruined...it´s like imagining Anders playing with a broken string for all the gig....it must be difficult to deliver a perfect performance in such condictions..
His "visual performance" fits perfectly with Katatonia songs and mood, we like him as he is and if you want a showman or a rockstar there´s already Anders who does the job, so keep your eyes on him:)

I feel ripped off. Blakky didn't bang his head in Holland!!!
I just watched the video and I gotta say it's indeed not very much in tune in the beginning but it improves further into the song, still not perfect.
But hey, only <3 Anneke <3 is perfect.

Argyle said:
I think the beginning get's fucked up because of the mix. The backing vocals Anders does are on top, and they are seriously not supposed to. It's definetily not one of their best live performances. The chorus kicks in out of tune as he tries to make it sound more aggressive. Is he drunk? That's something people tend to do drunk i think...

Think I know what u mean, especially with Anders' backingvocals, yeah , it isnt perfect. But for me it doesn't really disturb the feeling of the song and that's the most important :)Jonas is still singing with his heart. If I may sounds corny here :p