Why is there so much hate for the heavy part of Dirge For November?

People hate it since its sorta like putting credence with cannibal corpse after a bit.

"Good Idea, Bad Execution"

when i first heard dirge, i didn't care for the heavy part either. But after a few more listens, I found it did go with the mood, those slow death growls really send chill up my spine.

Reasons posted above, none of which I agree with.

It's basically one riff repeated.. 8 or so times with a tiny break, but that riff actually has a lot going on in it and it manages to stay interesting. The lyrics are nice too.

I also don't get why people give BWP this crap about having conventional song structures. There may be like.. mini songs in them (like say the first 1/3 of Bleak), but mostly they ramble on like any others. Except for Harvest I suppose, which is a really good song, so who cares when they do.

The mass-hate for this heavy part is mostly panic, caused by illusion/paranoia of repetition amongst the time-deaf radical conservative anti-vegetables who fail to see that every Opeth song is in reality repetitive. {;-{]>>> And yes, there's a lot going on behind the riff in the heavy part.

I like all "softer" parts on Blackwater Park (album), but the distorted riffing always seems to be not so good. I love Morningrise, where there was these "twin-guitar-riffs"; almost everytime different... It seems to me, that I liked Orchid (and it was my introduction to Opeth after it was released), Morningrise was AMAZING, My Arms, Your Hearse had good stuff on it, but was not THE record for me, Still Life was again amazing piece of music and Blackwater Park was something similiar with MAYH (not music, but with feeling) and was good, but nothing very special to me, but I'm sure that the next 2 albums will be killers! I still think that, the best Opeth can be found from Morningrise. :worship:

http://octoberfalls.cjb.net
melodic - death - metal

because it ruins the mood for me i think. And also it is boring. But whatev :D I made an edited version you can find on audiogalaxy and prolly some other places now too. (has the tag Bumblefoot Edit) ok snap on me but whatever i like it better that way hehe

I think the heavy part actually adds to the mood of the song. I don't get why people hate it. And as for the repetition thing, most Opeth songs are repetative, they repeat the same riff like a dozen times then move onto other riffs they repeat just as much. I think it's part of their charm.

I disagree that most Opeth is repetative Belial. The first two albums are soooo non-repetative its almost annoying. There will be a riff that I LOVE and it is only played about 2 times, it bugs me. The newer stuff has become a little more repetative I think, I like that.

i'm not sure what all this talk is of the "mood of the song": the heavy part IS the mood of the song. this is a dirge, yes, but it's very passionate, and that needed to be represented by something heavy.

i've always loved how the music/vocals on this song are so... thick and suppressed, it just gives you this suffocating feeling

i like dirge for november, granted it may not be my favorite though. it plays out almost like funeral doom in the vein of evoken, only slightly faster, at least to me. actually the only thing that bungs me sometimes is the way the last riff is played over and over, but its almost hypnotic that way (again like some good ol' doom metal).

I dislike Dirge for November's middle section because I find it completely disinteresting. It feels to me like it's sticking on one rather bland riff too long without going anywhere.

Now, there's a riff near the beginning of Black Rose Immortal that they just hammer away at FOREVER, but it still doesn't feel as long, it's just more interesting.

I have no reasons aside from the arbitrary, but then none of us do, it is art...

Originally posted by Smekermann
You people are insane. How the hell can you NOT like the middle part? That's basically the main part of the song. Ever heard of DOOM METAL? Yes, doom metal is exactly that: dirgy, repetitive riffs that bring you way the fuck down.

Try reading the lyrics for it sometime. You might actually get the song.

it's not really that boring anyway. there's a lot going on, like the kickass bass part that mendez is thumping away at. the overtracked guitars, too.