Will people stop screaming when opeth plays soft interludes

Nope, and nope. Saw Opeth 3 times between 2003 and 2006, and every show their acoustic stuff was filled with screaming/chants for "DEMON OF THE FALL!!!!" one song into the set. Even when they played Creedence people were crowdsurfing and moshing....which is odd because it's not really moshable...but people will be people...i.e. stupid.

I'd like to see the band play Blackwater Park only for Mikael to pause and say"...fuck it" when the acoustic section approaches...

I can't believe the fans who time after time keep counting the very first tone of that acoustic part as the actual first tone of the riff, when in reality the second tone is the first of the riff, the handclaps always get out of rythm in that one.

The last Opeth show I went in Philly had plenty of what I call clueless metalheads screaming during soft parts of every song. I guess since they can't get their aggression out by moshing during these interludes, they feel the need to scream out idiotic phrases at the top of their lungs. Attention-whores. Check out this video of Hope Leaves from the aforementioned show for a perfect example of what people are complaining about in this thread:

Last edited by a moderator:
i generally hate people talking while being at concerts.
holy christ... people pay hundreds of bucks sometimes to attend a concert... and they just don't stop talking!

What the hell?
You guys are so snobbish. "Oh respect Opeth and their great music". Shut up, I'm sure Opeth are quite happy when people are having fun at their show. And again, what's the damn fuck with "hat[ing] people talking" !? If you cannot respect other's ways of having a good time then shut up and pay yourself a private concert with your almighty band.

The others are always to blame. I wonder what you guys are doing "wrong" in your lives... probably nothing?

Otherwise, I also personnally don't like hearing people who yell during soft songs, but whatever, as long as it doesn't fuck up the whole song, and as long as the guy/girl doesn't scream all the long. Anyway, learn to relax and appreciate instead of being mad at others.

*sigh* Alright? :)

The issue is that people are extremely self-absorbed.

What's wrong with talking during the show? Well, for one, I didn't pay money to hear you talk. I paid money to hear music, and the former is getting in the way of the latter. It's disrespectful to the band and to everyone around you. You cannot, I'm sorry, both have a conversation and really listen to the music. That you are talking means you are not listening. So, fuck you. You have plenty of time to talk to people when you aren't at a concert. Or talk between songs. I mean, no one minds a quick, "Check the chick there." or "Look at that dickwad doing ninja kicks." But a conversation? You may as well wear a sign on your head that reads: I am an asshole.

To the yellers of phrases such as, "Demon of the Fall!" (at inappropriate times), or "Freebird!" (not funny anymore, btw), or "I want to have Mike's babies!" (not funny ever): Look, no one is as into what you say as you are. If you must, keep it for between songs. Typically, Mike will tell you to shut the fuck up if you aren't as entertaining as you think you are. Listen to the Roundhouse Tapes if you have any doubts about that.

But, unfortunately, there are a lot of douchenozzles out there. What can you do but try to ignore them? I've said, "Seriously?" to people when the yell out during mellow parts. Sometimes they respond well, other times they ignore me. But hey, I'm a grumpy old man. I get it.

What the hell?
You guys are so snobbish. "Oh respect Opeth and their great music". Shut up, I'm sure Opeth are quite happy when people are having fun at their show. And again, what's the damn fuck with "hat[ing] people talking" !? If you cannot respect other's ways of having a good time then shut up and pay yourself a private concert with your almighty band.

The others are always to blame. I wonder what you guys are doing "wrong" in your lives... probably nothing?

Otherwise, I also personnally don't like hearing people who yell during soft songs, but whatever, as long as it doesn't fuck up the whole song, and as long as the guy/girl doesn't scream all the long. Anyway, learn to relax and appreciate instead of being mad at others.

*sigh* Alright? :)

What is more disrespectful, screaming during soft songs or the people who want to hear the music properly? How is the silent way to enjoy a concert disrespectful?

The issue is that people are extremely self-absorbed.

What's wrong with talking during the show? Well, for one, I didn't pay money to hear you talk. I paid money to hear music, and the former is getting in the way of the latter. It's disrespectful to the band and to everyone around you. You cannot, I'm sorry, both have a conversation and really listen to the music. That you are talking means you are not listening. So, fuck you. You have plenty of time to talk to people when you aren't at a concert. Or talk between songs. I mean, no one minds a quick, "Check the chick there." or "Look at that dickwad doing ninja kicks." But a conversation? You may as well wear a sign on your head that reads: I am an asshole.

To the yellers of phrases such as, "Demon of the Fall!" (at inappropriate times), or "Freebird!" (not funny anymore, btw), or "I want to have Mike's babies!" (not funny ever): Look, no one is as into what you say as you are. If you must, keep it for between songs. Typically, Mike will tell you to shut the fuck up if you aren't as entertaining as you think you are. Listen to the Roundhouse Tapes if you have any doubts about that.

But, unfortunately, there are a lot of douchenozzles out there. What can you do but try to ignore them? I've said, "Seriously?" to people when the yell out during mellow parts. Sometimes they respond well, other times they ignore me. But hey, I'm a grumpy old man. I get it.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Ok...according to you, Grumpy old men and women,these should be the new rulez for opeth's concerts from now on.

- NO speaking / no comments : remain silent during the concert
- NO clapping out of time : Have some music lessons first
- NO yelling the chorus lines
- Stay absolutely silent during the soft interludes
- No Moshing
- No Recording with cellphones or cameras
- NO show of any feeling

p.s.: Are you fucking serious?

Yesterday, Opeth just LOVED the crowd in chile; they'd never seen before such an excited crowd, literally celebrating every fuc**** song they played, or chorusing the soft melodies so in tune and in cue.

The beautiful sight of the cellphones and the lighters waving along the ballads(i guess this is too cheesy for you, right?) and many other things that according to you, as gig-censors should be forbidden.

Mike also asked the crowd to record every moment cause he went out of memory on his camera...

Obviously, you want to turn a rock concert into an opera show.

Don't tell the people how to behave in a concert.

^ Exactly. Thanks Kamel for saying that, that's what I wanted to express. Union! Yes, if one stupid douchebag yells like a stupid douchebag, it sucks, but what's the best : listening to Opeth silently, respectfully, and watching every single notes, OR having fun, like if it was a unique moment, everyone together. As a band, what would you prefer : a damn fucking excited crowd OR a silent (sitted?) crowd watching you respectfully? Maybe some of you are not into rock and metal. That's how it is, it's not opera. Change your musical orientation before going depressed.

Ermm, I'm not targeting everyone by the way. I also agree with the "soft songs" thing. But the talking, the singing, etc. are not things you can properly judge and feel like you are right. I know many of you do, but the subject is way deeper if you think again.

What is more disrespectful, screaming during soft songs or the people who want to hear the music properly? How is the silent way to enjoy a concert disrespectful?

Never said that. :rolleyes: Ermm.. okay?

Ok...according to you, Grumpy old men and women,these should be the new rulez for opeth's concerts from now on.

- NO speaking / no comments : remain silent during the concert
- NO clapping out of time : Have some music lessons first
- NO yelling the chorus lines
- Stay absolutely silent during the soft interludes
- No Moshing
- No Recording with cellphones or cameras
- NO show of any feeling

p.s.: Are you fucking serious?

Yesterday, Opeth just LOVED the crowd in chile; they'd never seen before such an excited crowd, literally celebrating every fuc**** song they played, or chorusing the soft melodies so in tune and in cue.

The beautiful sight of the cellphones and the lighters waving along the ballads(i guess this is too cheesy for you, right?) and many other things that according to you, as gig-censors should be forbidden.

Mike also asked the crowd to record every moment cause he went out of memory on his camera...

Obviously, you want to turn a rock concert into an opera show.

Don't tell the people how to behave in a concert.

Okay, point by point:

1. Grumpy and old. Yes. Self-described.
2. I have no problem with comments during the show. It's the conversations people have during mellow parts. I don't think it's asking much to politely request the you shut your fucking mouth.
3. Clapping out of time... it happens, and I hate it. But people are going to do it. What can you do? Mostly that's okay. I just wish people had better rhythm.
4. Yelling choruses is okay for the heavy songs. Singing is preferable for the mellow ones. It works best if: A) you have a decent voice, or B) EVERYONE is singing. As in the concert described above, when everyone sings, you get a nice chorus effect, and the out of tune shit is magically erased and it sounds cool as fuck. But typically, Opeth concerts are small venues, and a lot of people don't sing. So you get some well-intentioned fan singing his heart out, killing the song directly into your ear, drowning out Mike's vocals. It's not a perfect world. It would be sweet if the Opeth crowd sounded like the Maiden crowd chanting during Fear of the Dark. But it just isn't that way.
5.Silent during interludes. Yes. What the fuck, dude? That really isn't a lot to ask. The interludes aren't merely filler between the loud parts. Shut the fuck up so I can enjoy them.
6. No moshing. Well, it is metal. But limit moshing to appropriate moments. And if only moshers would do it in the back and let people who want to see be up front without having to watch THEM to avoid getting a broken nose. I don't want to watch YOU. I want to watch Mike and the boys. Nothing personal, but you're just not that interesting. If I wanted to see that shit, I'd go to see professional wrestling or something.
7. No recording. I don't care about this. Do as thou wilt.
8. No show of any feeling. I don't think this warrants a real response.

And yes, I, and all these other paying customers are serious.

well...man, you should have been there....more than 7000 people singing and moshing and weaving and screaming...surely Opeth got a real good impression about CHile, for thye looked atonished...

On the other side, I don't know whether you make reference to a "Opeth in your backyard" concert or maybe a "opeth in the back seat of your car concert" to be so worried about the person next to you, the one who`s singing and screaming. What i saw yesterday was a REAL CONCERT, not a small venue. the crowd contributed to generate the right ambience, for it was like "what a real show must look like"

As far as I'm concerned, people can mosh and bang and scream and growl all they want - during the heavy parts! But I just can't stand (like so many other people here) those attention-whores who scream during quiet accoustic parts or inbetween songs. I tend to think those people only attend Opeth concerts because they've heard it's Death Metal. They'd be better off at a Six Feet Under concert or something.

Out-of-rhythm clapping also bothers me, but I've not seen it happen too much so far.

Sounds like you had your shit together in Chile. Cheers to you guys. It doesn't sound like soundave or I were talking about you folks to be frank so stop taking it personally. Look at his points (which I happen to share completely) objectively and see if there isn't some truth to them.

Remember the video from the mellowboat where we heard HA for the first time and in the sound of the out-of-time clapping drowned out the guitar picking almost completely? THAT's the kind of shit we're talking about. What if 7,000 people weren't singing and 3 drunken morons were standing behind you spilling beer on your back and singing out of tune and talking through the entire concert about stupid shit. WE ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU! so maybe you can now try to put yourself into the situation we are describing and see that we just might have a point after all.

Devil's advocate here. As much as I hate obnoxious people, at concerts and everywhere else, I think it would send a bad message if the crowd was silent during the softer parts of a song. I just can't be silent at a concert. But I want to hear ALL of the song. In between songs is when I'll yell till I'm horse. Imagine the message a crowd would send if they were silent between songs. So, along with everything else, a little bit of moderation is good.

And a whole lotta screaming adulation at heavy metal show is even better.